Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Anyone managed to get this kind of water in P3D?

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:14 PM, tremor595 said:

Sorry for the delay.

Had another good tweaking night (really no chance to do this in the daytime because of wife and little son...) .

The results are getting better and better. Found a workaround to get the reflective area on the water much bigger so it's not only happening under the aircraft or visible only in outside view. Now very nice views from inside the VC.

The reflections are very fine adjustable through PTA + the waterconstantsv3.xml i can tell you.

I wonder why nearly nobody showed comparable results so far to what i got.

Everything on landside got tweaked untill death but on the water...??

Will show more screens later. On easter no tweaking because visiting the parents... Settings hopefully next week...

Hi - What textures are you using, are they default P3D?  I have tried a few sets, currently REX 'default dark' but the water is still way too blue IMO.  I like how your water is much darker and I think more realistic.  I also use PTA but have not found a solution...

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Looks very nice - but in general the water in Prepar3D is not very good... (my opinion, of course).

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Almost all the screenshots that are nice have sun reflection on the water. The issue is when the sun doesn't hit the water. 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

25 minutes ago, Manny said:

Almost all the screenshots that are nice have sun reflection on the water. The issue is when the sun doesn't hit the water. 

You are correct

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Indeed... but on the other hand - when doesn't it?

I mean, the lighting engine in Prepar3D is pretty screwed up - something I really hope LM improves (if not completely overhauls) in Prepar3D V4. It has always annoyed me, for instance, that you can see the sun, in foggy conditions and that you aircraft casts a shadow, even though there's low visibility... 

But that just proves to me, that there isn't really lighting rays and such in Prepar3D ... only somekind of 'baked' shadows of somekind. The whole concept of night textures is also just a weird 'workaround' of the ESP engines way of depicting night conditions... 

If you've ever flown X-Plane, you'll notice quickly, that the lighting is handled completely different.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Would be great if tremor595 can share his water settings..

On ‎21‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 4:18 PM, Flic1 said:

Hi - What textures are you using, are they default P3D?  I have tried a few sets, currently REX 'default dark' but the water is still way too blue IMO.  I like how your water is much darker and I think more realistic.  I also use PTA but have not found a solution...

Maybe try lower saturation settings in PTAs water option. Also a lower water limpidity may help.

I actually don't really now what my installed water texture set is. I think a dark RexTD set too.

At the moment i'm also trying new water and foam textures which i made from images spread over the www. A lot of work since there are so many ocean texture files to be replaced. But early results are looking promising.

2 hours ago, Sumits81 said:

Would be great if tremor595 can share his water settings..

I'm still heavily into tweaking and trying different textures and maps now. These always need different setting to suit best depending on resolution, highmap and whatever.

To get similar results as seen on the screens above you can try a very low granularity (0.15 or so) setting in PTAs water options together with a very low specular power (17.5) setting in the waterconstantsv3.xml file. You then maybe also have to adjust the blend, boost and whitecap settings there.

But as always, depending on your other settings results may differ completely.

I personally have the feeling that in the shader files and triton files there is still some potential to get much better looking water and waves. As i'm no coder I also did a lot of trial and error stuff with sometimes surprising results. But it really gets an endless story and it's difficult to get all pieces play perfectly together.

...and of course after tweaking try different water detail settings in P3D in game options. I prefer low, middle, and high. Ultra never gave me satisfying results so far.

The water looks very static even in direct sunlight beyond a certain distance from the aircraft. The animation looks very good close up, but it's that lack of subtle movement and white caps at distance that really lets it down.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 4/8/2017 at 9:57 AM, vcarlo said:

Thanks for the memories... agreed... have tried lots of different things in P3D... nothing looks like FSX (DX10) for water.  But, the positives of P3D FAR outweigh those great water textures in FSX.  So we keep on keeping on... :biggrin:

Thats true the shadows and 64 bit its good and all but dam that dx9 water of fsx is ecstasy for my eyes lol the only reason i keep fsx around 

• Upvote 1

This thread is tfwo years old folks - let it lie.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors