downscc

OneDrive\Documents

Help!  Windows 10:  Uninstalled OneDrive with control panel. Change registry value for linked to 0 which is supposed to remove OneDrive from Explorer but it does not.  I can delete folders under OneDrive for Documents, Prepare3D v3 Addons and Prepare3D v3 Files but every time I launch P3D the folders in OneDrive I deleted are restored.  P3D still thinks my %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Files path includes OneDrive.

I can type CD %USERPROFILE%\Documents at the DOS prompt in the command window and it correctly goes to c\Users\myusername\Documents.  Why does P3D continue to think the document path is under OneDrive?

Unless I can sort this out, I have to copy my scenarios from my documents to OneDrive\Documents and I really don't want to do that.

I've been using P3D on this machine with Windows 10 for a year since I built it, and a couple of days ago I started having problems with OneDrive that I didn't sign up for and I don't want.  Does P3D keep its own copy of the path to the user documents? It must. Anybody?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks Vic, I am not positive of anything regarding OneDrive except I don't like it.  I removed the Microsoft OneDrive executable and I have never logged into the MS Account so I hope there's no unwanted communications going on with that account.

I'll give the tool a try. I'm about out of ideas.  Its illogical that an application gets a different path from %USERPROFILE% than I do when I use the alias at the command prompt.  I even looked at my user profiles in the registry and confirmed there is none that include OneDrive.  Therefore, I suspect OneDrive doesn't follow the same conventions and ignores or bypasses profiles. Argh!

I had to give up.  Removing OneDrive program, removing all onedrive registry entries, I get to the point easily enough where onedrive is not on my computer.  Problem is P3D still goes there for scenario files and creates a new Documents\Prepar3D V3 Files folders. I have looked at all P3D files in appdata local and roaming and program data but cannot find a configuration file that might override my %userprofile%, which does not include onedrive.  No other program looks for onedrive, only P3D.  Last resort is to reset pc but that removes all programs and I'll wait for P3Dv4 before I do that.  For now, I have two Documents\Prepar3D V3 Files folders and I have a little note in one to remind me why after I sleep a couple of times.

I was thinking that there might be a registry entry that P3D is reading or some symbolic link that is causing it. Hoped the regscanner would find the entry. So you are not using a MS account to log in W10.

Vic

Killing time I started searching and found this...

"Open up Regedit and navigate to the following location:

Computer \ HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders

Left-click on the User Shell Folders

The GUID keys on the right you should see one that says    %USERPROFILE%\OneDrive\Documents

Double click on that key and remove OneDrive\ so it reads:    %USERPROFILE%\Documents

Choose OK and restart your computer  (or open task manager and kill Explorer and run Explorer from File -> Run new task)"

I never used OneDrive and my entry shows   %USERPROFILE%\Documents

Jorge

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, aeronauta said:

Killing time I started searching and found this...

"Open up Regedit and navigate to the following location:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Left-click on the User Shell Folders

The GUID keys on the right you should see one that says %USERPROFILE%\OneDrive\Documents

Double click on that key and remove OneDrive\ so it reads: %USERPROFILE%\Documents

Choose OK and restart (or open task manager and kill Explorer and run Explorer from File -> Run new task)"

I never used OneDrive and my entry shows %USERPROFILE%\Documents

Jorge

Jorge, I love ya' man!

I also had a "Personal" value in the UserShellFolders key with a OneDrive in the data that I edited.  One or both edits fixed my problem.  Thank you so much for this.

I would have never guessed that LM would dig this deep into the registry to return something as simple as %userprofile%, readily available in any version of the API or .NET system call. 

Again, thank you Jorge.

Glad you got it sorted - that's what the regscanner was for.

Vic

4 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Glad you got it sorted - that's what the regscanner was for.

Vic

It is a nice tool, but the scan for example "OneDrive" turned up almost 300 entries and I just happened to miss the one that was the solution. 

On 5/4/2017 at 8:34 AM, aeronauta said:

Happy to be of help!!..

Jorge

Hi Jorge, I had the same issue as Dan, in that Onedrive is part of the default save path for P3Dv4. I followed your advice above and restarted machine, but, when i went into P3Dv4 and saved a flight, one drive was still the option...

THEN..I saw where Dan mentioned, "I also had a "Personal" value in the UserShellFolders key with a OneDrive in the data that I edited.  One or both edits fixed my problem." 

Well, the "Personal" Regedit fix from Dan did remove the OneDrive from the P3Dv4 save trail....

Dan, I know what you mean...Luv ya man....Hate the way MS slyly take over the machine without giving us a solutions book.

PS, before I embarked on this course, I made sure I had a restore point saved...just in case.

11 hours ago, por930 said:

Hate the way MS slyly take over the machine without giving us a solutions book.

Glad you got it fixed but there's a lot of MS bashing going on at the moment and, in this case at least, I'm not sure it's warranted. I got 200Gb of free storage with OneDrive when I bought a Seagate backup drive a few months ago and I would definitely recommend it as a cloud storage service. It's been reasonably fast and completely trouble-free and just appears as another folder on one of my drives. It doesn't seem to associate or link itself to anything. Nothing saves to OneDrive unless I specifically tell it to (not even the Seagate drive that I got the free storage with!) so I can only think that you somehow unintentionally selected it as an option.

8 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Glad you got it fixed but there's a lot of MS bashing going on at the moment and, in this case at least, I'm not sure it's warranted. I got 200Gb of free storage with OneDrive when I bought a Seagate backup drive a few months ago and I would definitely recommend it as a cloud storage service. It's been reasonably fast and completely trouble-free and just appears as another folder on one of my drives. It doesn't seem to associate or link itself to anything. Nothing saves to OneDrive unless I specifically tell it to (not even the Seagate drive that I got the free storage with!) so I can only think that you somehow unintentionally selected it as an option.

Hi vortex,

I have a bran new out of the box system. To my knowledge, I did not elect to have OneDrive become the custodian of my document path. Thinking back, I may have seen reference to OneDrive when MS was activated. As a Win10 first time user, I would have had no idea what the implication of OneDrive was going to make.

I first noticed OneDrive when my flight sim flight plan files were not where I expected. I wondered about how to fix this. It was only when I was setting up my paths for the AI Traffic configuration, I realised my document paths get intercepted and the doc does get to my documents folder, just via OneDrive. I then realised that P3Dv4 files were hardwired to go via OneDrive, due to a registry instruction, and saw the posts above how to remove the link.

Anyway, I have no real issue with MS, and am certainly not a MS basher.. On balance, MS provide a great system. I just wished they would allow us to more easily make changes. Some like all the whistles and bells, some not and some in the middle.

On 7/27/2017 at 9:13 AM, vortex681 said:

there's a lot of MS bashing going on at the moment and, in this case at least, I'm not sure it's warranted.

It is warranted when they force a feature on you that you do not want, and it takes knowledge of the registry to undo what was done.  Regardless of the merits of the feature.  Sure, free storage on someone else's servers might be just want you want but I cringe at the idea of storing anything I deem valuable enough to bother storing on someone's free cloud server, I ask myself why are they offering that free service? How do they profit from it? Will their policy change in 6 months?  To many uncontrollable factors.

2 hours ago, downscc said:

It is warranted when they force a feature on you that you do not want, and it takes knowledge of the registry to undo what was done.

But in my case nothing was forced on me. I had been using Windows 10 for over a year before I opted to start using OneDrive.

Sure, free storage on someone else's servers might be just want you want but I cringe at the idea of storing anything I deem valuable enough to bother storing on someone's free cloud server

I have the data stored locally but, like many, I consider that it's a good policy to also store important information (encrypted by me) off-site so it's accessible from anywhere. It was a lucky coincidence that at the time I was looking for a suitable cloud service, I was offered the free storage by Seagate.

I ask myself why are they offering that free service? How do they profit from it?

I assume that Seagate was giving this as an extra incentive to get people to buy their backup drive. As I wasn't aware of this when I bought the drive, I considered it an unexpected bonus.

Vortex, In your case, it was not a problem and you have a good experience. But, there are others who find that OneDrive is deeply embedded in their Win10  document control system and worse still, it is a "cloud" service, where often very private documents are no longer in the confines of your personal computer on your premises....Sure, we are told the documents are safe...yeah, well, I don't need to go further on this line of thought.

If this was not bad enough, then, because OneDrive is part of Win10, MS made it so you can't remove it(apparently) and MS also chose not to provide a simple way to quarantine the program feature, other than manual changes in the computer Registry. From reading several forums, getting OneDrive under control seems to be handled different if you have the Home or the Pro version of Win10. I am not a Registry meddler, as it can be a very dangerous place. But, in this instance, it was unavoidable. In my case, I also went into OneDrive are removed all the permissions from it. 

13 hours ago, vortex681 said:

But in my case nothing was forced on me. I had been using Windows 10 for over a year before I opted to start using OneDrive.

I wouldn't be unhappy were that the case.  I never opted to use OneDrive, then one morning after about a year of Win10 use it started redirecting all my documents and P3D didn't see them and wouldn't load my default flight or allow the selection of any saved flight.  All documents were gone to another path... and Windows didn't update the path for the applications to be using.  This annoyed the heck out of me.

1 minute ago, downscc said:

I wouldn't be unhappy were that the case.  I never opted to use OneDrive, then one morning after about a year of Win10 use it started redirecting all my documents and P3D didn't see them and wouldn't load my default flight or allow the selection of any saved flight.  All documents were gone to another path... and Windows didn't update the path for the applications to be using.  This annoyed the heck out of me.

yeah Dan, me too. I could not work out what happened. One day my files were where they were supposed to be, then one day, they were not..I was hunting for all the wrong reasons until i noticed OneDrive in the path..Anyway, Fixed.

Out of interest, those of you having problems with OneDrive in Windows 10, do you log in using a Microsoft account or local details?

5 hours ago, vortex681 said:

do you log in using a Microsoft account or local details?

Never, the only time I ever used a Microsoft account was when I had to create one to install windows.  I'd prefer not to have a Microsoft account.

8 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Out of interest, those of you having problems with OneDrive in Windows 10, do you log in using a Microsoft account or local details?

3 hours ago, downscc said:

Never, the only time I ever used a Microsoft account was when I had to create one to install windows.  I'd prefer not to have a Microsoft account.

+1.. I hate the way the computer tracks my google searches ...some times, a week later, I see ads pop up...that just happen to reference my recent searches.

I thought that it may have been related to using a Microsoft account to log in (I don't use one either), but that would not appear to be the case.

Don't forget that, for the most part, most computer users know how to turn on their computers, send emails, and use the internet. That's it. They don't want to know anything more. So all the automatic stuff Windows does is really meant for them. The only time One Drive has been a problem for me has been with versions like the W10 ISO you download from Microsoft. Even then all I had to do was not use it. Problems with software re-orienting itself to One Drive would seem to me to be more unforeseen problems with the software rather than the OS. The fact that you can fix it at all speaks volumes. Can you imagine this on a Mac?