Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Dovetail Games releasing Flightsim

Selling on STEAM doesn't turn a sim into a game.  Where you buy it makes no difference to the simulation.  Who buys it doesn't either.  And no one forces you to d/l workshop DLC.  There's a lot of crap out there for FSX/P3D as well.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, bedgie said:

the steamworkshop is a double edged sword. you do get some good stuff there but there is a lot of crap there too.

eventually you will find a hello kitty repaint of something 

Not unlike the Avsim library, then, really... (https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=hello+kitty&CatID=root&Sort=Name&ScanMode=0&Page=1:wink:

23 minutes ago, bedgie said:

steam is a bad choice to launch fsw on. Dtg already have a decent site. sell it there, unless their goal is to port it to console then steam is the go but there goes the sim down the toilet as it has just been turned into a game.

I'm perplexed by this, as Steam is to my knowledge a PC-only platform (indeed, some might say the main reason a PC gaming market even still exists) so I'm not really sure how this would help DTG port it to any form of console.

Sorry i thought steam was multi platform my mistake.

I personally would rather a downloadable installer any day.

If an item gets pulled from steam its gone even though you paid for it. for example  FSX SE you paid for it and decided to upgrade your hard drive but DTG pulled it from steam in order for FSW and you had no intention of purchasing FSW not to mention all your addons are useless unless you go P3d. Also what about those who have spent thousands of dollars building a full cockpit. I see this steam route is just a grab for sales. Personally I hope it succeeds but there are some issues that need to be resolved. Don't  worry I  will purchase FSW maybe not straight away.

it will depend on reviews from the community.

“Flying should not be a journey to the destination with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved Aircraft,

but rather to skid sideways in a cloud of smoke down the runway, engines on fire, passengers screaming, physically worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! That was one hell of a Ride and we're on Schedule!”

49 minutes ago, bedgie said:

I see this steam route is just a grab for sales.

???

What is a "grab for sales"?  Isn't that the point of making things for sale?

2 hours ago, bedgie said:

the steamworkshop is a double edged sword. you do get some good stuff there but there is a lot of crap there too.

And?

Are you saying there is something unrealistic about Hello Kitty planes? :ha:

• Upvote 5

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

7 hours ago, bedgie said:

Why are you hating against Hello Kitty.

What's she ever done to you?

I'll have you know, I'm a massive fan and this WILL be the first repaint I make.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, KavindaJD said:

Why are you hating against Hello Kitty.

What's she ever done to you?

I'll have you know, I'm a massive fan and this WILL be the first repaint I make.

Hey! What about my Minion's Paint ????

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

9 hours ago, Griphos said:

Selling on STEAM doesn't turn a sim into a game.  Where you buy it makes no difference to the simulation.  

Buying a game does not make it into a sim, no matter how much lipstick you throw at it. If it is an entertainment product, it's a game! (Even DTG is calling it a 'game'.) 

P3D sells a 'not for entertainment' product.....

The line in the sand has been drawn....:ohmy:

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

43 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Buying a game does not make it into a sim, no matter how much lipstick you throw at it. If it is an entertainment product, it's a game! (Even DTG is calling it a 'game'.) 

What did Microsoft call FSX? (Or any of the MSFS series)

Microsoft Flight Simulator X is a 2006 flight simulation computer game originally developed for, and published by Microsoft Game Studios for Microsoft Windows. (from Wikipedia)

The FSX box is labeled 'Games for Windows', & was listed in https://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXTrialVersion.aspx

Anyhow, DTG also call their product a game.

So, what we have is a game that simulates a simulation!

Back to topic..........

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

12 hours ago, bedgie said:

Sorry i thought steam was multi platform my mistake.

I personally would rather a downloadable installer any day.

If an item gets pulled from steam its gone even though you paid for it. for example  FSX SE you paid for it and decided to upgrade your hard drive but DTG pulled it from steam in order for FSW and you had no intention of purchasing FSW not to mention all your addons are useless unless you go P3d. Also what about those who have spent thousands of dollars building a full cockpit. I see this steam route is just a grab for sales. Personally I hope it succeeds but there are some issues that need to be resolved. Don't  worry I  will purchase FSW maybe not straight away.

it will depend on reviews from the community.

The thing I hated about Steam when I had my DTG Train sim, is you would find a bug in the sim, fix it, and the next time Steam did one of their updates, it would reset everything back to default. What a PIA that was. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

The thing I hated about Steam when I had my DTG Train sim, is you would find a bug in the sim, fix it, and the next time Steam did one of their updates, it would reset everything back to default. What a PIA that was. 

Simple solution... turn off the Steam auto-update feature for that particular program.  I am truly amazed at how much misinformation about Steam is being thrown around in this thread.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, MadDog said:

Simple solution... turn off the Steam auto-update feature for that particular program.  I am truly amazed at how much misinformation about Steam is being thrown around in this thread.

If you turn off the auto update, which also includes fixes on dozens of products and add ons, then none of them get patched or updated .. Brilliant:blink:.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

7 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

If you turn off the auto update, which also includes fixes on dozens of products and add ons, then none of them get patched or updated .. Brilliant:blink:.  

It's possible to turn it off for individual products... you don't have to completely disable auto-update.

Just now, MadDog said:

It's possible to turn it off for individual products... you don't have to completely disable auto-update.

You can't turn off an update for a route, or consist, or piece of scenery in the Train sim. It's either all or nothing unless this has been changed in the last 2 years. .