Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Dovetail Games releasing Flightsim

Leaving out PMDG or FSLabs, just to mention two important players, would be a big mistake. Aerosoft too...

In order to even compete with the upcoming P3D v4 platform, they have to rapidly reconsider on this, IMHO....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

39 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Leaving out PMDG or FSLabs, just to mention two important players, would be a big mistake. Aerosoft too...

In order to even compete with the upcoming P3D v4 platform, they have to rapidly reconsider on this, IMHO....

FSX has only lasted this long because of those big players along with ORBX, FlyTampa, Taxi2Gate and other big scenery developers who have extended it far beyond what it was initially. We have FSX/P3D as the goto platform because of them. Its like those dedicated PlayStation fans, they aren't a fan of the system, they are fans of Infamous, God of War, Uncharted etc. 

Dovetail had better work closely with these guys if they want to succeed. The one advantage they have over Xplane is that they still have a relatively familiar version of the ESP engine. Please, please Dovetail, I want you to succeed. Don't screw this up. Make concessions and get the big guys on board, make them platinum members or something that you give dedicated SDK assistance with an exemption from the Steam requirement. Trust me, you would win. You have the base, don't fail us now. 

And get rid of the ancient graphics engine, we're all sick of it. Like previously mentioned, since you're breaking up compatibility, make it worth, do it properly.

• Upvote 3

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Making an exception for one set of devs, leaving the rest to "pay" for that would be the equivalent of shooting the rest of us in the head. Not acceptable.

• Upvote 2

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

5 hours ago, jcomm said:

.... In order to even compete with the upcoming P3D v4 platform, they have to rapidly reconsider on this, IMHO....

How many potential buyers would prefer to buy P3D at $199 (assuming prices unchanged from current version) rather than TSW which I'd expect to be priced in the same ballpark as FSX:SE though?

Andy L

• Upvote 3

That's a good point Andy - I for sure would chose DTG's FSW... I never payed for the full p3d professional license, but when using that sim opt for the monthly license ( anyway I always uninstall almost every sim within way less than a month :-)  

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

2 hours ago, AndyUK said:

How many potential buyers would prefer to buy P3D at $199 (assuming prices unchanged from current version) rather than TSW which I'd expect to be priced in the same ballpark as FSX:SE though?

This. Nail. Head. Hit. 

Everybody whinges on about wanting a 'serious' sim, but when push comes to shove nobody is actually prepared to pay serious sim prices.

3 hours ago, AndyUK said:

Andy L

Me.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

4 hours ago, AndyUK said:

Andy L

Unless FSW can out-perform it, me, eventually (still with FSX:SE for now).

Simon nailed it!

You really think we are going to get a 'serious' sim from the guys that gave us a fishing & a train sim, & who call their paid beta early access release a game? & who also have said that payware guys must release their stuff via the largest gaming distributor around? Also with no word about freeware developers?

Remember, the backbone of our hobby is supported by the freeware developers, the likes of Milton, etc!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

16 hours ago, AndyUK said:

Andy L

13 hours ago, pmb said:

Me.

Kind regards, Michael

Me too.

Regards,

Richard Portier

• Upvote 1

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

6 hours ago, Wobbie said:

You really think we are going to get a 'serious' sim from the guys that gave us a fishing & a train sim, & who call their paid beta early access release a game? & who also have said that payware guys must release their stuff via the largest gaming distributor around? Also with no word about freeware developers?

Remember, the backbone of our hobby is supported by the freeware developers, the likes of Milton, etc!

They can still sell through their own channels as well. And about freeware;

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/509612-is-dtg-fs-world-restricted-to-ga/?do=findComment&comment=3615928

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

So the question seems to be, are developers free to set the price for sales on Steam, and to set a price that differs (perhaps significantly) from other channels? 

Think I'll ask on the 'ask' thread.

• Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I'm out of the loop with flightsimming these days (too much real world flying and I've been waiting for XP11 and P3Dv4 to release and mature a touch).

So I just saw froogle's video and got the news.

My initial reaction is that there's a lot of things to be concerned about. Visually and feature wise, it looks like a lesser P3Dv3 with 64bit. Same FSX landclass system, painted on roads, HDR, and some shadowing. What's it going to look like in comparison to v4? Their addon business model is concerning. We've seen this before. The big developers aren't going to get involved if they only get 40% of the cut.

They are only focusing on GA, which is ok to me as I love GA, but what does that mean for the limitations in other parts of the sim? Will there be good ATC? Weather? Or is the focus on GA a sign that other things will also be dumbed down?

Furthermore, if you look at the first spanning shot that is focused on the plane and ground below it, there's blurries there. I mean, really? Come on, it's 2017. Fix that.

But there are some things that add could value. Obviously, it looks better than default P3Dv3 because the ground textures are new. Ok, are they updating the ancient landclass as well? What about vector data? Ancient nav database? IF they ship a sim that also includes some things like that, it'll make it a more viable starting point to build off of than some other platforms.

Steam workshop is great for freeware distribution and IF they can work out the kinks with profit sharing in order to get the biggest names on board, Steam has a ton of positives. It'll be so much easier to keep track of bought addons as well as doing re-installations.

• Upvote 1

the steamworkshop is a double edged sword. you do get some good stuff there but there is a lot of crap there too.

eventually you will find a hello kitty repaint of something 

steam is a bad choice to launch fsw on. Dtg already have a decent site. sell it there, unless their goal is to port it to console then steam is the go but there goes the sim down the toilet as it has just been turned into a game.

“Flying should not be a journey to the destination with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved Aircraft,

but rather to skid sideways in a cloud of smoke down the runway, engines on fire, passengers screaming, physically worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! That was one hell of a Ride and we're on Schedule!”