Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[20JUL17] Update thread for XPL users

Even HiFi is making an active sky for X-Plane so the market for X-Plane is growing very fast that's fact. It's only a matter of time for PMDG to make more aircraft on this platform, the future for X-plane is brilliant in my opinion

João Gabriel Narciso de Mello

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BiGz said:

Even HiFi is making an active sky for X-Plane so the market for X-Plane is growing very fast that's fact. It's only a matter of time for PMDG to make more aircraft on this platform, the future for X-plane is brilliant in my opinion

João Gabriel Narciso de Mello

Without involving myself in this debate, as they tend to make me very, very angry in the sense of entitlement that a lot of XP users seem to hold, just because HiFi is making a weather engine doesn't make PMDG say "well this is what we've been waiting for all along, a weather engine for XP! Finally, we can now move full steam ahead because this signals that we will make a profit on XP for once!". Yes, the XP market is growing, but the P3D v4 market is growing faster with a huge lead over XP in terms of fan base (paraphrasing from ORBX). There's definitely a reason the ESP platforms took off while XP didn't. Wasn't the original XP around when FS98 or FS2000 was? If XP is such a great market with a "brilliant future" then why haven't hordes of devs flocked to it like a mass migration, leaving P3D for dead? 

• Upvote 3

Yelling, complaining and crying, this is what I saw under XP related post in PMDG forum.

• Upvote 3

Gordon Harvey

P3D, XP11, Flightgear.

9 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

Wasn't the original XP around when FS98 or FS2000 was? If XP is such a great market with a "brilliant future" then why haven't hordes of devs flocked to it like a mass migration, leaving P3D for dead? 

Because the basic features that allowed FSX to take most of the market share, were laid out after FS98 or FS2000, and precisely between FS2002 and FS2004: complex weather, complex AI, ATC.

This very good work on ACES part, allowed FS9 and then FSX to become the most used flight sim for years.

I'm repeating myself, but it's evident that after the release of XP11, there's been a significant upsurge of new users (even if this seems to irk P3D users like you). What will happen in the future? Nobody knows, so it's also useless to discuss that. We'll see what happen.

What I know is that Laminar research, differently from the past, significantly expanded their staff, and has some clear and interesting plans for the near and mid-term future. :cool:

• Upvote 3

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I really don't understand the whole xplane vs fsx/p3d. I use both and both have things that they do better. I for one love that xplane has runways with elevation change but the weather is terrible. Each has their benefits and their detractors but regardless of who has the most market share (which I don't know I have no data) it speaks to our hobby that new sims are popping up. 

Just my two cents(which is what it's probably worth) 😄

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gstreet said:

I really don't understand the whole xplane vs fsx/p3d. I use both and both have things that they do better. I for one love that xplane has runways with elevation change but the weather is terrible. Each has their benefits and their detractors but regardless of who has the most market share (which I don't know I have no data) it speaks to our hobby that new sims are popping up. 

Just my two cents(which is what it's probably worth) 😄

Neither do I, it's like the whole Windows vs Mac, Solidworks vs Autodesk Inventor, Mercedes vs BMW, Boeing vs Airbus debates. Each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately, there's been a few people who have recently taken to going back to the P3D/FSX vs XP11 debate in some attempt to prove to PMDG that they should develop for XP11. What they don't seem to realise is that they're wasting their time as PMDG will know exactly when and if they will develop for XP11, and what they say or try to prove will not make a lick of difference to their decision or plans.

• Upvote 5

53 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

Unfortunately, there's been a few people who have recently taken to going back to the P3D/FSX vs XP11 debate in some attempt to prove to PMDG that they should develop for XP11. What they don't seem to realise is that they're wasting their time as PMDG will know exactly when and if they will develop for XP11, and what they say or try to prove will not make a lick of difference to their decision or plans.

I couldn't agree more with you. Differently from others, as far as I remember, I never suggested in a single post that PMDG should develop for X-Plane (for various reasons, among which the ones you listed). Nothing we say make a difference on their decisions, in the same way that if X-Plane market share will continue to grow, disdaining X-Plane by some P3D fans, won't stop PMDG to develop for it. :-)

• Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

7 hours ago, Murmur said:

I couldn't agree more with you. Differently from others, as far as I remember, I never suggested in a single post that PMDG should develop for X-Plane (for various reasons, among which the ones you listed). Nothing we say make a difference on their decisions, in the same way that if X-Plane market share will continue to grow, disdaining X-Plane by some P3D fans, won't stop PMDG to develop for it. :-)

As disdaining P3D by XP  fans won't make PMDG develop for XP either.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

As disdaining P3D by XP  fans won't make PMDG develop for XP either.

Of course I agree. Infact I usually refrain from that behaviour. I'm very excited and optimistic for the upcoming future of XP, given how Laminar Research is moving this time. We'll see! :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

I created an account specifically to join in on this conversation. I don't really understand where this behavior where x-plane fans are whiny and shouty. (Of course, there will be a few vocal bad eggs in any group.)

I'm sure the release of X-Plane 11 has invoked more "uncivillised" hostility from a few bad eggs (there's always a few in every group.) However, from having joined several community channels, it is clear to me that there is a high demand for a developer such as PMDG or any of the ESP devs to make the push into X-Plane. Whilst the platform does have certain limitations (such as the lack of sound 3ds max exporter,) there is a large untapped potential waiting to be achieved from the platform. You only need to look at some of the latest add-ons such as Flightfactor, IXEG, Zibo, Betterpushback etc.

Is there a market for X-Plane? Potentially... I do not have the data to be fully conclusive. But it is undeniable that X-Plane has received a rather significant interest since v11. The fact that I can see x-plane footage compete on platforms such as Avsim, reddit, you tube and twitch is rather remarkable. It's a level of investment that is starting to pay off, and not just for X-Plane. Consider what alternative platforms likes Aerofly and FSW will be in 5-10 years time?

Whether or not Randazzo decides to step in is completely his buisness decision which we fully respect. However, we are also here and waiting in anticipation to see something exciting from PMDG. Best of luck to the entire PMDG team in their future endeavors!

• Upvote 4

On 2017-8-4 at 10:24 AM, DeltaWho said:

You only need to look at some of the latest add-ons such as Flightfactor, IXEGtion to see something exciting from PMDG. 

Hello and welcome matey :) ...............

I couldn't agree more with the above comment. The ixeg is a marvel, thee best aircraft for any platform in my view, and I own all PMDG aircraft. FF and ixeg have proven what this platform is capable of going forward, if other developers don't see that it's their loss IMHO 

I echo your sentiments on wishing PMDG well in future endeavours, they have created art in the past, but the future is now upon us 

TC

• Upvote 3

The one thing I don't like about the whole XP debate is the XP defenders main argument is that XP is the "future of flight simulation". That really grinds my gears, no platform is the sole future, heck some people think FSW is the future.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

heck some people think FSW is the future.

Including PMDG actually... And I quote Robert from a post made years ago

"At PMDG our money is firmly on Dovetail Games for the simming side and Prepar3D for the enterprise side of our business"  

13 minutes ago, Davidrebolton said:

"At PMDG our money is firmly on Dovetail Games for the simming side and Prepar3D for the enterprise side of our business"  

Eh grain of salt. That was their view back then, as more details have come to light their position may well have changed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Davidrebolton said:

Mind providing a link to that? That's not a quote that I recognize, so to assert that without a direct reference is not entirely responsible.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers