Sign in to follow this  
Captain Kevin

Cargo Containers

So I was trying to change the cargo containers, which I believed the file in question to do that was pmdg_747FX_cabin.bmp. After many attempts to do so, it appears nothing has changed, no matter what I tried, so I had an idea. After running an experiment, which involved relocating the texture.cfg and the texture file in question to another location, this was the result. It appears the texture is modeled in and can't be changed for some reason. Is there any particular reason why this was done this way?

34_zpskfrvi1nh.png

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Textures can always be changed - to the best of my knowledge, it's not possible to make an actual bitmap texture embedded in MDL file in FSX.

You are probably changing the texture in a wrong spot.

What I am saying is I have removed the texture.cfg, and the result should then be that the only textures that should show up should be the textures that are in the actual texture folder, not the common textures in any of the other texture folders since there isn't a texture.cfg to reference the fallbacks to. The cargo container texture is still showing up, despite the texture not even being in the livery's texture folder. This shouldn't be happening, but it is.

I'm trying to change the text on the wooden crates, so I'd have to be incredibly stupid to somehow manage to change the texture in the wrong spot, and I have confirmed that I have changed the texture in the right spot.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

And just checked to see which planes this affected, as I was having this issue with the Boeing 747-400ERF Pratt & Whitney variant. This issue also affects the General Electric variant and all three standard Boeing 747-400Fs. Did not check the Boeing 747-400BCF as those don't have the nose cargo door as far as I'm aware.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

From my understanding, if the sim can't find the referenced texture in the livery folder, it defaults to the DEFAULT texture folder specified in one of the config files. It could be related to this, it may not be looking at the right folder...

Just gonna drop in the obligatory "if it's not in the paintkit, it's not something that's meant to be messed with." Of course, you're welcome to go stabbing around, but it's not a supported use (i.e. if you bork something, it's up to you to get it back to normal), and it cannot be distributed, in accordance with the agreement in the paint kit and aircraft.

Kyle Rodgers

7 hours ago, 77west said:

From my understanding, if the sim can't find the referenced texture in the livery folder, it defaults to the DEFAULT texture folder specified in one of the config files. It could be related to this, it may not be looking at the right folder...

I think you misunderstood what I did. I deliberately pulled the texture.cfg out, so it COULDN'T reference another texture folder, so as far as I'm concerned, the interior texture shouldn't have appeared at all, but it did.

5 hours ago, John_Tavendale said:

I managed to modify the cabin texture. It's the right file.

FSX?

2 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Just gonna drop in the obligatory "if it's not in the paintkit, it's not something that's meant to be messed with." Of course, you're welcome to go stabbing around, but it's not a supported use (i.e. if you bork something, it's up to you to get it back to normal), and it cannot be distributed, in accordance with the agreement in the paint kit and aircraft.

Yes, sir, I am aware of this. As this is my livery, it wasn't going to be released anyhow, but my question is given what I was trying to do, why did the interior texture show up when it should NOT have appeared (I had moved the texture.cfg to a different location in order to test this).

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

19 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

Yes, sir, I am aware of this. As this is my livery, it wasn't going to be released anyhow, but my question is given what I was trying to do, why did the interior texture show up when it should NOT have appeared (I had moved the texture.cfg to a different location in order to test this).

Probably a question for the Paint Shop part of the AVSIM fora. Fallbacks would be the logical answer to me, but I don't know much about painting.

Kyle Rodgers

3 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Probably a question for the Paint Shop part of the AVSIM fora. Fallbacks would be the logical answer to me, but I don't know much about painting.

That's what I'm trying to get at. Since I moved the texture.cfg somewhere else for the purpose of this test, there ARE no fallbacks. The only thing that should be appearing are the texture in the main livery texture folder, which would be the fuselage, engines, and tail. The cabin interior texture should NOT be showing up. As you can see above, it is, leading me to believe it's a bug. Yes, a support ticket was submitted, and it seemed they didn't understand what I was trying to say until this morning, so hopefully this gets looked into. This wasn't really a repaint question as much as it was a bug report.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

18 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

I'm curious. The main gear wasn't included in the paint kit, so is it breaking the EULA to include those? What about airline specific labels inside the VC? The binders weren't included either.

What about adding airline specific logos to the inside of the main cargo door?

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

18 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

This wasn't really a repaint question as much as it was a bug report.

This is my point: It's not a bug.

The main gear wasn't included in the paint kit

I think these were added later, no?

What about airline specific labels inside the VC?

Apart from a couple placards provided, the VC should not be modified.

What about adding airline specific logos to the inside of the main cargo door?

Not included in the kit?

Kyle Rodgers

10 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

This is my point: It's not a bug.

A texture showing up when it is NOT supposed to isn't a bug? Okay, then. Just wanted to clarify that. I understand the point that painting the texture isn't supported, but the point I'm trying to get at is the texture WON'T change, even after trying to paint it. Of course, I'm not sure if the paint kit ever got updated, so don't know if the textures were included if it did.

10 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Apart from a couple placards provided, the VC should not be modified.

I don't believe the registration placard with the SELCAL code was included in the paint kit, either.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg