Sign in to follow this  
thepilot

Discussion of ATC

3 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

Couldn't agree more. 

I guess if there was lots of more online traffic that would also inspire more people to act as ATC so I think it's really a win-win situation - the more pilots the more ATC and vice versa.

I did vatsim S1 and its a thankless task requiring many hours to progress through.  No matter the traffic there will never be suficient controllers online to resource my flying.  I dont want to fly Heathrow etc.

CixVFR, an online GA club I joined do specific events and even provide basic R/T training to be able to control their own club flights.

The reality is we need a variety of tools to deal with the many and varied types of popular and nonpopular flightplans.  Vox has a place at the table because you can fly anywhere anytime without needing anyone else to take part.  

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

57 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Now I use one of a couple of ATC programs I have, and I have ATC from startup and taxi out, to arrival and ground control, just like in the real world, anyplace I want to fly 24/7. 

While I understand the rationale, there is one thing the canned programmes can't really do and that is use discretion due to changing circumstance.   Additionally, that synthetic (obviously computer generated messaging) is another thing that I just cannot get used to.   For me, I'd rather mix up the controlled and non-controlled environments than deal with code generated ATC and AI on a full length flight.  They are complete immersion killers.     Real world (Vatsim)  ATC keeps you on your toes.  You really do need to consider what you are doing and it forces a discipline which you can simply ignore with PC generated AI and ATC if you just can't be bothered.

2 minutes ago, ErichB said:

While I understand the rationale, there is one thing the canned programmes can't really do and that is use discretion due to changing circumstance.   Additionally, that synthetic (obviously computer generated messaging) is another thing that I just cannot get used to.   For me, I'd rather mix up the controlled and non-controlled environments than deal with code generated ATC and AI on a full length flight.  They are complete immersion killers.     Real world (Vatsim)  ATC keeps you on your toes.  You really do need to consider what you are doing and it forces a discipline which you can simply ignore with PC generated AI and ATC if you just can't be bothered.

Unicomm just doesn't do anything for me, and that is what I see 90% of the time. . 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

There reality is we need a variety of tools to deal with the many and varied types of popular and nonpopular flightplans.  Vox has a place at the table because you can fly anywhere anytime without needing anyone else to take part.  

If airliner flying is not your thing then your argument makes sense.  I don;t really think that VATSIM is geared up enough for GA style flying.

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Unicomm just doesn't do anything for me, and that is what I see 90% of the time. . 

I mostly fly in europe and the hubs i like flying into and out of, particularly in the western european areas do provide a good deal of coverage.  I also do tend to fly where the ATC is concentrated which is not necessarily a bad thing.  Unfortunately, in its current form, it is a compromise and a game of give-and-take.  But I still prefer it to the other options.

17 minutes ago, ErichB said:

If airliner flying is not your thing then your argument makes sense.  I don;t really think that VATSIM is geared up enough for GA style flying.

Id agree that Vatsim is the best option and if flying heavies between 2 fully controlled airports it would provide the best most realistic option.  The reality is though that outside 'popular' hubs and managed events, it generally fails to come up with the goods. :(

Having said that some of the most fun Ive had online flying is GA in and out of controlled airfields where someone is sitting a Vatsim controlling exam :)  You airliner dudes mostly dont get to deal with much GA messing up your approach I think, mores the pity!

Back on track though, I wouldnt be expecting any change whatsoever to ATC in P3D4. Commercial training through P3D will probably all be human interactive comms, kind of their Vatsim :)  Why would LM update a part of the sim they dont use? Its there as a nod towards the ESP roots thats all.  3PD is the only answer...

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

Hi Folks,

While I can appreciate the benefits of flying online - most times I prefer just using canned ATC services... I'd certainly like to see the base level ATC improved... Currently - I use default ATC for VFR flights and RC4 for IFR flights - neither of which provides any real traffic separation... Please - please - please fix the default AI calls - "Nxxxx - please expedite climb to xxxx" ad nauseam... I've mapped all the RC4 calls and some of the default ATC calls (work in progress) to "Voice Attack" - which improves the immersion factor a great deal...

For online flying - I would love to see someone come up with making a radio - well - sound like a radio - the crystal clear voices just spoil the immersion for me... I've looked for third party apps but never really found anything suitable... 

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

28 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

For online flying - I would love to see someone come up with making a radio - well - sound like a radio - the crystal clear voices just spoil the immersion for me... I've looked for third party apps but never really found anything suitable... 

Hi Scott

The VATSIm VPilot client provides a VHF distortion option in the setting menu which does quite a good job of emulating this.  I also hate the clear skype like sound if i dont use this option - so I always have the distortion  turned on

On 04/05/2017 at 0:32 AM, thepilot said:

I think ATC is such a crucial part of IFR flying that it may well be an inhouse development. Just think how great it would be to have proper clearances, taxi instructions, transition altitudes, SIDs/STARs, etc.

You mean just like you find in PF3!

6 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Regards,
Scott

Have you tried PF3? PF3 does exactly what you are asking for so when you say you haven't found anything suitable you didn't look very far!

On 5/8/2017 at 2:05 PM, kevinfirth said:

Im still testing this but using Voxatc v7beta with up to date navdata and fsaerodata with the same airac cycle, Ive been getting quite accurate altitude clearamces through Vox.  The key is the combined use of vox, fmc navdata (vox uses levelD) and updated SIDS/STARS/airways/navaids etc etc.  (And no, since vox is the only atc addon to control AI, Herve Sors navaid updates dont uldate all the data needed in my opinion.)

Ha ha, look at this:

http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2017/04/113989/

Even LM embraces the use of fsaerodata for P3D.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Ha ha, look at this:

http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2017/04/113989/

Even LM embraces the use of fsaerodata for P3D.

Been using it since release. Not expensive, and easy to use.

• Upvote 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

On 5/3/2017 at 4:34 PM, jcomm said:

I still believe that they'll add ... sloped airport taxi / parking / rws....

Doesn't that require a rather large terrain model change.  Doesn't seem like that is happening - although we haven't really seen anything yet

1 minute ago, ErichB said:

Doesn't that require a rather large terrain model change.  Doesn't seem like that is happening.

Not a terrain model change, but 3PDs will mostly likely need to redo all their flat airports :p

xaP1VAU.png