Sign in to follow this  
Cjr60611

Upgrade: GTX 1070 SLI or 32GB Ram

19 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

SLI is an afterthought for Nvidia.  They still can't get it right after 13 years.

You are thinking in the wrong direction. AMD and NVidia are more on a way out of SLI, not into it.

2 hours ago, CarlosF said:

We are and no Im not looking it backwards.

What you are talking about is degradation of performance, which is not what I'm referring to.

You asked what does adding RAM have to do with raw performance, and I answered you. It depends on how much RAM your add-ons require.

If we're going to argue about whether it's degradation of frame rate vs. increased frame rate, then I think we've entered the realm of semantics. And I'll leave it there.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Neither, upgrade to a 1080 ti especially if you plan on doing any 4K gaming in the future.  A 1070 in SLI would give you very little performance improvement.

1 hour ago, Markfl370 said:

Neither, upgrade to a 1080 ti especially if you plan on doing any 4K gaming in the future.  A 1070 in SLI would give you very little performance improvement.

This suggestion I can get on board with.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 hours ago, Paraffin said:

It depends on how much RAM your add-ons require.

Really???

Ok I agree, lets jut move on.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

4 hours ago, Markfl370 said:

SLI give zero performance improvement, it's not supported. Use the most GPU power you can afford in a single card, which is basically the way AAA games are going on the PC.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Gentlemen it's pretty simple. RAM upgrades will increase FPS in two ways:

1. An increase in amount will yield better performance ONLY if you are already limited by your current amount. In most cases 16GB is enough. Another thing to keep an eye on is the paging file which XP makes copious use of.

2. You can also get some decent FPS bumps by increasing your RAM SPEED. This is particularly true for DDR4 where an increase from 2133MHz to say 3200MHz can net about 10%-15% increase in FPS.

Other than that a RAM upgrade won't do much for you.

6 hours ago, sizziano said:

ONLY if you are already limited by your current amount

Exactly my point, other than that, increasing ram wont increase frames, period!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

This whole ram discussion is just talking semantics now. 

Its like discussing a car crash and arguing if the change in speed or the steering weel to the head killed you. The aftereffect is you are dead :D

In my experience 16gb is considered the bare minimum for xp11 to be future proof. I run 32gb and on more than one occasion (with browser and other things open in the backround) i scratched the 22 ish GB mark.

Of course it depends how much you taxi your system. But lets be honest with those specs posted you are not going to run vanilla xp. Now of course RAM per se does not increase performance if there is an abundance of it available in the first place. But we all know where the road is going and if you are a little bit dedicated in pushing your system you can make some educated guesses that increasing the RAM might help increasing the boundry of performance loss in the future

17 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

I have 8GB RAM.  I can tell you that 8 is not enough because I get many stutters as the hdd tries to take over.  Anyway what's more related to this thread is that I can tell you that my fps are the same if I have a surplus of RAM vs not enough.  The FPS remain the same but my system chokes as the HDD is a lot slower than the RAM.

For the OP - I wouldn't do anything - just save the money for now.

I'm not sure that 8GB is not enough. Probably 970's 3.5GB thing comes here. I have 780 3GB, and I can only use medium texture quality. Otherwise exceed 3GB Vram limit and sim become glitchy... 

1 hour ago, westman said:

here some screens from a flight ESNN-ESGG , run Xenviro .

you see how much Vram it eats.

Lower your Texture Quality one notch and 8gb should be enough and the difference in texture quality is not noticeable at all.