Frankd1

Maximum simulation rate and OOM problems.

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, I own version one of the beautiful B744 and never had problems with it.

Before I buy version 2 which looks very nice I would kindly like to know two things:

1. what is the maximum simulation rate you can have with this model, useful for long flights, 16X ?? Or maximum 8X??

2. I also own the iFly 747V2 and this bird gives you error memory problems if your settings are not properly set, does the PMDG B747V3 give the same problem or not?

I hope someone can answer these questions.

Thank you in advance!

Frank Di Candia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

26 minutes ago, Frankd1 said:

1. what is the maximum simulation rate you can have with this model, useful for long flights, 16X ?? Or maximum 8X??

Looking at the manual, looks like 16.

27 minutes ago, Frankd1 said:

2. I also own the iFly 747V2 and this bird gives you error memory problems if your settings are not properly set, does the PMDG B747V3 give the same problem or not?

I personally haven't had any issues, but I'm not really sure what settings you're referring to when you say you have problems when settings aren't properly set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Kevin I mean the scenery settings as per range, mesh, etc.etc I usually turn traffic down to 30% and lower what I don't really need.

this is what I meant.

thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry I forgot to confirm with you if you actually have flown using 16X acceleration and no issues with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Frankd1 said:

sorry I forgot to confirm with you if you actually have flown using 16X acceleration and no issues with it?

I personally have never done 16. Most I've ever done was 4. Do bear in mind, though, that the auto-cruise function for the most part only really works going in a straight line. As soon as you go into a turn, it drops back to normal simulation rate automatically. Once the plane's leveled out, then it goes back to the higher rate. So if you do use the auto-cruise function, I'm not sure how much time you'd be saving. Using the simulator's default simulation rate option would yield different results, but I'm not really too sure what would happen if you tried it.

16 minutes ago, Frankd1 said:

I mean the scenery settings as per range, mesh, etc.etc I usually turn traffic down to 30% and lower what I don't really need.

I ran the settings that were recommended and personally haven't had any issues with it. I think this ultimately comes down to your individual system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frankd1 said:

sorry I forgot to confirm with you if you actually have flown using 16X acceleration and no issues with it?

16x only works if you have clear weather. with AS2016 any pressure or wind changes are still too rapid for the sim to keep up and it will take itself out of auto-cruise to correct course and altitude every 30 seconds or so.

8x works as long as there is no turbulence. i made a preset in AS2016 for this so i can easily swap it before starting a long cruise. or if you know the route is clear it will usually work. 

4x works fine in all conditions that i have seen..

as far as oom issues goes, the 747v3 uses around 1100-1200megs of VAS. in default scenery it is no trouble but if you use addon airports, vector addons etc. you will almost certainly have to adjust your sliders, in some cases quite agressively low. really only you can judge how much free VAS you normally have, so it's sort of difficult to answer more specifically.. you can measure it yourself using FSUIPC or various other utilities such as vasmon which is packaged with "quantum leap" in the avsim library.

cheers!

-andy crosby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good thing regarding all the PMDG's addons (i.e.: including the QOTS II) regarding the VAS/OOM issues is the very efficient way to save and load flights.

 When I do a flight departing and arriving to heavy sceneries, I don't really worry about OOM because I can save the flight, reboot fsx and load the flight back before the arrival which resets the VAS consumed. With my rig and settings, it takes "only" 3-4 minutes from the moment I save the flight to the moment everything is restored and flying again. When loading the flight back, the PMDG process reinstates everything 100% flawlessly in the same state as it was when saving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Gentlemen for your helpful replies, I get a better understanding now of this product and it seems more and more "in line" with what "new" released aircraft are behaving today within FSX with its 4GB maximum memory capacity.

For sure we have to adjust all scenery settings and more if we don't want to have OOM problems. I have the PMDG B777 and with this bird I never experience any problems so I guess it is very close to the same behaviour of the new V3 B744.

Thank you BudBud for your tip on saving first and ....finish after ! That's something so simple that I have missed to do because you don't really think about it as an option or at least....I don't! LOL :laugh:

Enjoy your weekend! :gaul:

Frank Di Candia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay I bought it and it works flawlessly !!

Auto pilot, auto landing, manual landing everything and super fast frame rates, great job PMDG!! :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking for help folks!

I have recently purchase the newly released PDMG 747 and PDMG 747 programs within the last two years. For a while after purchase both programs have run beautifully but just recently I have attempted to fly both aircraft and aprx. into 45-50 min into the simulation, (during ground ops for the 747 with GXS and during take off with the 777) both programs have crashed with the following error message.

(With 747) Running Error!

Program C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe. This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an usual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

(With 777) Running Error! 

Program C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe. This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an usual way due to scenery memory shortage.

Experienced the following I had returned to the FXS and adjusted the settings according to what the PDMG manuals prescribe for both aircraft simulation but once again after resetting the simulation crashed after aprx. 45 to 50 minutes as previously took place.

It's this event known as OOMs?, and in addition to resetting the settings IAW the PDMG Manual it's there any other solutions available that could be shared by techs or other program owners to share in order to resolved this issue that I have not yet executed??..Please any help or advise available?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fernandito1969 said:

Looking for help folks!

I have recently purchase the newly released PDMG 747 and PDMG 747 programs within the last two years. For a while after purchase both programs have run beautifully but just recently I have attempted to fly both aircraft and aprx. into 45-50 min into the simulation, (during ground ops for the 747 with GXS and during take off with the 777) both programs have crashed with the following error message.

(With 747) Running Error!

Program C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe. This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an usual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

(With 777) Running Error! 

Program C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe. This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an usual way due to scenery memory shortage.

Experienced the following I had returned to the FXS and adjusted the settings according to what the PDMG manuals prescribe for both aircraft simulation but once again after resetting the simulation crashed after aprx. 45 to 50 minutes as previously took place.

It's this event known as OOMs?, and in addition to resetting the settings IAW the PDMG Manual it's there any other solutions available that could be shared by techs or other program owners to share in order to resolved this issue that I have not yet executed??..Please any help or advise available?   

Yeah you've just hijacked an old thread with unrelated issues. Don't do that. Start your own thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Chris; Not sure what are you trying to steer up with that type of respond to my post ("Yeah you've just hijacked an old thread with unrelated issues. Don't do that. Start your own thread"). We have not interacted previously and I am 100% that you don't jack about me to respond in such manner which I find it very disrespectful and unprofessional. I am just looking for some assistance with that issue listed with my system that's all and have no idea what are you referring with "hijack" when what I wrote was straight from my own thoughts. I actually thought that posting my issue could get some interest and that was relevant to the topic, however, looks to me like it was just an error of spot. I am not highly proficient in navigating through the forum and thought this would be the place to look for the help but if it's not you could be a bit more helpful by just give some direction with a bit of "TACT" and "CAUTION" on how you directed your respond....catch my drift??. If you have nothing positive to add then remain "At Ease" or instead be a facilitator. No one it's trying to do any harm here dude, just looking for assistance to resolve an issue. Cheers!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, fernandito1969 said:

Dear Chris; Not sure what are you trying to steer up with that type of respond to my post ("Yeah you've just hijacked an old thread with unrelated issues. Don't do that. Start your own thread"). We have not interacted previously and I am 100% that you don't jack about me to respond in such manner which I find it very disrespectful and unprofessional. I am just looking for some assistance with that issue listed with my system that's all and have no idea what are you referring with "hijack" when what I wrote was straight from my own thoughts. I actually thought that posting my issue could get some interest and that was relevant to the topic, however, looks to me like it was just an error of spot. I am not highly proficient in navigating through the forum and thought this would be the place to look for the help but if it's not you could be a bit more helpful by just give some direction with a bit of "TACT" and "CAUTION" on how you directed your respond....catch my drift??. If you have nothing positive to add then remain "At Ease" or instead be a facilitator. No one it's trying to do any harm here dude, just looking for assistance to resolve an issue. Cheers!!  

Apologies, I'll try be more clear.

It's generally preferred if people start new forum posts for their issues, not "hijack" other threads (meaning start discussing an unrelated issue in a thread that is not theirs). Your issue is regarding crashes you're having, this thread is about maximum simulation rates and the VAS use of the 747. At the top of the page there is a button for "Start new topic". Use that.

FYI - PMDG require that full names are signed on every post in the forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a good copy!, and Understood!..I only took notice of the post above that appeared words "memory capacity and OOMs" and presumed that I could post my text to receive feedback, help, or advise but like I have said previously, not to proficient nor to agile on navigating through the forum since I don't visit it that often. I will take you respond and see if I get it correctly on the next attempt....Thank you!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now