Sign in to follow this  
bic

upgrade to 16 gig RAM?

500x1000px-LL-d2dd3210_6HZZDMu.jpeg

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

You do understand that's just a chart that calculates the speed of DRAM by applying the formula listed on the top and nothing else, right?  

That's not a measure of performance within any application in any way.  

No one is questioning whether the raw speed of DRAM is faster at higher speed settings, particularly in combination with latency.  Yes, faster speed with lower latency is faster in a raw sense.  The argument is about whether that translates into any performance gains in actual applications.  

@westman Disagreeing with superstitions is not trolling, particularly in a thread where people are asking for advice, and largely getting advice not even applicable to them.  

Well this is my last post in this thread. Having said that I did OC the DRAM. I changes the case latency from CL9 to CL8. not easy to do. It required a very big voltage increase to do it. I did have a method for bench marking long frames before and after where nothing was changed except the CAS latency. IF I remember correctly it clearly decreased the duration of long frames. AS I said I am no expert but I can follow instructions and also as I said I got those instructions from NickN on Simforums. You do come across as knowledgeable in these things in your posts. Now please don't take this personally but no one who has been around FS for as long as I have is going to take the word of an unknown about this over the word of the FS hardware guru himself :biggrin:

On 5/27/2017 at 7:48 PM, ahsmatt7 said:

Thread drift to an extent.....

Should he upgrade his actual size of ram from 8gb to 16gb

Yes he should with a 64bit sim it makes sense ;-)

André

7 hours ago, Avidean said:

Well this is my last post in this thread. Having said that I did OC the DRAM. I changes the case latency from CL9 to CL8. not easy to do. It required a very big voltage increase to do it. I did have a method for bench marking long frames before and after where nothing was changed except the CAS latency. IF I remember correctly it clearly decreased the duration of long frames. AS I said I am no expert but I can follow instructions and also as I said I got those instructions from NickN on Simforums. You do come across as knowledgeable in these things in your posts. Now please don't take this personally but no one who has been around FS for as long as I have is going to take the word of an unknown about this over the word of the FS hardware guru himself :biggrin:

+1

Hasse ( Westman ) has the knowledge and experience and advised/helped many people over the years on hardware and cockpit building.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

You ever heard of the expression: "blind leading the blind"?

15 hours ago, awf said:

Yes he should with a 64bit sim it makes sense ;-)

This is what I'm talking about. Ask a question about whether to upgrade and get answers like this. 

I didn't post in this thread to cause grief.  I posted with good advice that included the reasoning for that advice. Since that advice differed from the conventional wisdom, some others took exception and began an argument, because they can't handle their superstitions being challenged. In that argument, I continued to give good support for my position and others responded with "it makes sense" or what they say is right because some authority told them it was, or because it's what they've always heard, or with deeply flawed reasoning from common sense or naive ideas about application processes and hardware architectures. 

Sigh.  

So, life is too short to try to be helpful in such an environment, and I'm done. Do whatever you want. It's your money. And even though most of what you're talking about doing to prepare for a sim that hasn't even been released yet for us to know what it needs won't likely do anything significant at all, who cares?  Many of you are clearly capable of convincing yourselves that what you do helps. 

It is an "alternative facts" world now, after all. 

My last word:  you want to improve your hardware in a meaningful way to get the best experience from your sims and other applications?  Buy the fastest CPU you can, overclock it reasonably, and put the newest graphics card with the most VRAM in your system. Everything else is at best tweaking at the edges of performance, and most of the time placebo effect. 

• Upvote 1

Griphos:

You have been informed by various knowledgeable members of this community that you are wrong on this subject.  This knowledge has been gained after years of testing on various hardware platforms.  Your hypothesis is not based on any firsthand knowledge, nor even knowledge of the sim, as you can only cite 3rd party sources with data obtained from applications not related to flight simulator in any fashion.  Had you been here for any of the numerous discussions about this subject you might have seen the current knowledge take shape and form into the collective answer you've been given many times now.  You dismiss evidence and reason because it doesn't fit your pre-conceived notions. This attitude is not conducive to learning, and will not benefit you in life.  

This forum is a place to share knowledge and answer questions.  There's very little tolerance for condescension, which is present in nearly every post you make.  I suggest you consider this carefully, and act accordingly.  

And that seems like a good place to shut this one down.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors