Hi all. 

I'm on p3d v3 / v4 and have reached a little bit if a limit. I can vary a lot of settings and it not really effect performance. 

I bought my 980it for my 1080p monitor and the ultra wide 1440p does take more resource. 

My fps are around 25-35 in heavy situations with vc. Now that it ok but gsync kicks in after 30 which is great. 

Question. Worth the upgrade for me? In games there is around  a 50%-60% increase between the two (obviously it won't be that in p3d) 

Also, users who have done that exact upgrade paths. What is your thoughts? 

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

While I can't really answer your question I can add something. 

I use the ASUS 980ti as well as the ROG 1440p Gsync monitor. 

Now, I love Gsync, I use it in games like Sqaud, BF3, BF4 etc. However; I've always found that in FSX P3D 3/4 that turning Gsync off yields to a much better experience.....I don't know why because it has the opposite effect in every other game that I play Maybe until you decide on whether or not to get a 980ti turn Gsync off and see what happens 

Blue Sky's Alex

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I received my 1080ti (ASUS Strix OC) this morning. It has replaced my 980ti (EVGA SC+). So far I can say that I am really pleased. Only using a 1080p monitor at the moment.

Frames are stable and it's a lot smoother.

Cheers Jan 
5800X3D | Asus Strix 3080TI OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws | 1T + 250GB Samsung 960 Evo | Windows 10 | MSFS

56 minutes ago, driver101 said:

I received my 1080ti (ASUS Strix OC) this morning. It has replaced my 980ti (EVGA SC+). So far I can say that I am really pleased. Only using a 1080p monitor at the moment.

Frames are stable and it's a lot smoother.

Are you planning on upgrading from a 1080p monitor? 

Also, are you getting more fps / performance? 

Alex 

Alex Ridge

1 minute ago, aceridgey said:

Are you planning on upgrading from a 1080p monitor? 

Also, are you getting more fps / performance? 

Alex 

Yes I am planning to go 4k in the future. 

The FPS increase is not that much. But it is more stable and a lot smoother. Micro stutters are unfortunately not gone completely by now. I think I need to adjust the settings a bit.

Cheers Jan 
5800X3D | Asus Strix 3080TI OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws | 1T + 250GB Samsung 960 Evo | Windows 10 | MSFS

i also have a 1080ti usong a 1080p monitor. Will i only see the 4k resolution option in the graphics options in P3D if a 4k monitor is connected? I currently do not see that resolution option. Only 1080p option. I guess P3D detects the resolution of the connected monitor?

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

2 minutes ago, Peter Webber said:

i also have a 1080ti usong a 1080p monitor. Will i only see the 4k resolution option in the graphics options in P3D if a 4k monitor is connected? I currently do not see that resolution option. Only 1080p option. I guess P3D detects the resolution of the connected monitor?

Yes. You won't be able to see a resolution higher than your monitors. 

Alex Ridge

7 minutes ago, aceridgey said:

Yes. You won't be able to see a resolution higher than your monitors. 

thank you sir! Is a 4k monitor worth it in terms of enhanced visuals? 1080p always seems slightly "out of focus".

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

18 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

thank you sir! Is a 4k monitor worth it in terms of enhanced visuals? 1080p always seems slightly "out of focus".

It's 2017, go get a 4K monitor, there awesome ! I wouldn't buy anything smaller then 40" though.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

On 6/4/2017 at 9:11 AM, aceridgey said:

Hi all. 

I'm on p3d v3 / v4 and have reached a little bit if a limit. I can vary a lot of settings and it not really effect performance. 

I bought my 980it for my 1080p monitor and the ultra wide 1440p does take more resource. 

My fps are around 25-35 in heavy situations with vc. Now that it ok but gsync kicks in after 30 which is great. 

Question. Worth the upgrade for me? In games there is around  a 50%-60% increase between the two (obviously it won't be that in p3d) 

It's hard to tell without more information.  One easy way to tell what you can expect is to run GPUeze to monitor GPU Utilization in realtime.  The Lighting group of sliders are mostly GPU dependent.   The idea is you want to keep GPU utilization under 100% always because this can be a source of poor smoothness and even frame rate.   For example, go to a scenario where you are only able to get 25 fps in a heavy situation and see what the GPU utilization is:  if it's well under 100% you will likely see very little difference w/ a new GPU as you're clearly already keeping up with demands P3D is asking your GPU to handle as you have it set up at that moment.    

Now let's say you're 100% in the same scenario for GPU utilization.  Now play around backing down different sliders in the Lighting group, for example shadow quality or terrain/cloud/object shadowing distance, until utilization goes down to say 90% giving you a little headroom.   Similarly, if you are running an anti-aliasing setting involving Sparse Grid Super Sampling (SGSS) this of course adds big work to your GPU.  Since V3 arrived P3D image quality looks quite good w/o it, so I've not used SGSS since P3D V3, which of course then allows me to run some of those Lighting sliders further to the right.  I'm using a 3440x1440 curved display.   I am using an original GTX Titan and have to modulate the Lighting sliders quite a bit so I will be upgrading to 1080Ti or nV's next GPU.

So in the end, in large part, the new GPU will help you be able to resolve textures in a larger LOD IF that new GPU has more video ram than the old one, in V4 only.  Secondarily, you will be able to add SGSS AA, and/or run some of GPU-dependent sliders at higher settings.   Thirdly, you may get some general improvement in total performance in parts of the sim that depend on both GPU and CPU (scenery sliders for example) 

Ultimately, it's always going to be a case of compromise and that is only because in P3D there is a lot of headroom to exploit in all variables that can impact your simming experience.  It's still possible to make it struggle even w/ the best parts you can buy, well except maybe liquid nitrogen cooled CPU running at 7Ghz ;o)  And some variables that are very costly in terms of impact on GPU don't add all that much to your simming experience.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X