Sign in to follow this  
77west

I managed to OOM v4!

Next CPU I get, is gonna be 8 cores. :)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Looking at the replies I have to smile. 32GB of RAM looking at 64GB. 20 years ago it was 32MB of SD RAM. How far we've come.

Gulp! I've only got 16GB of RAM in my laptop...
Oh, well - I don't turn the settings up that high, anyway - so I guess I'm good... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

7 hours ago, 77west said:

During testing setting the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 flag, with a PMDG 747 over ORBX New Zealand, I got OOM on loadout.

Now this is not a VAS OOM, but literally, it hit a RAM limit. Not sure if VRAM or system RAM, I have 16GB system RAM and 8GB VRAM,

With those add-ons and the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 you'll need more than 8GB VRAM.  But 16GB system RAM is "enough" so far.  But if you want to keep using TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 you'll need to get a 1080Ti or Titan X Pascal ... I've managed to use 10.8GB VRAM in some of my extreme tests when using TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 and increase shadow res/distance to 8192.

Your OOM issue is VRAM, not system RAM.

Cheers Rob.

4 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

With those add-ons and the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 you'll need more than 8GB VRAM.  But 16GB system RAM is "enough" so far.  But if you want to keep using TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 you'll need to get a 1080Ti or Titan X Pascal ... I've managed to use 10.8GB VRAM in some of my extreme tests when using TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 and increase shadow res/distance to 8192.

Your OOM issue is VRAM, not system RAM.

Cheers Rob.

I figured that was more likely - but P3D gave the proper error dialogue box "your computer has run out of available memory" which is why I thought it might be normal RAM / no pagefile. I would think running out of VRAM the sim would just crash?

I don't plan on running EXP=10 long term. But it is cool to see what possible, imagine what we will be able to do in 3-5 years time!

I guess that is not problem as when you run out of VRAM, it will use RAM instead, sure it can introduce some performance loss as data have to be transfered more often via PCI-E buss. Windows 10 are better results than previons versions as management of that shared memory is better.

This thread, plus the fact XP just took me to 26gb out of 32 the other day I had to pop for another 32GB of ram....

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

12 hours ago, 77west said:

I figured that was more likely - but P3D gave the proper error dialogue box "your computer has run out of available memory" which is why I thought it might be normal RAM / no pagefile.

Yes, when VRAM is used up you'll be consuming system RAM which is considerably slower and performance will drop, once system RAM is consumed you move to pagefile and start swapping to disk.  Without a pagefile (I highly recommend you let the OS manage your pagefile regardless of how much RAM you have installed, no pagefile can cause problems and not having one is more urban legend of decades gone by) you'll get the OOM.

I use TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 all the time as it doesn't seem to have any FPS impact (at least on my GPU) so long as one has enough VRAM to support it's appetite.  But if you want a good idea of just how good TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10, load up Orbx (or UTX or scenery product of choice) with FB KDEN and take a look at the distant mountains from KDEN, not a single blurry mountain and looks accurate to the view distances.

But like I said, I'd only recommend using TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 with a 1080Ti or Titan X Pascal that has necessary VRAM to support.

Cheers, Rob.

Ive been flying all day in and out of NYC with the TFDI and NYCX as well as Imaginesim KLGA, Flytampa Boston, Imagine KATL, LatinVFR KMIA and NY Airports KEWR. NO OOM! :cool:

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

As I've stated elsewhere:

...for the first time ever (mark this day in history) I was able to fly from FSDT KCLT to FB KDEN to FSDT KLAS to FSDT KLAX, serviced by GSX at every stop, in the PMDG 747-V3 with Orbx FTX Global, OpenLC, Vector, Orbx SoCal, and AS16/ASCA (networked), (SODE 1.5.1), FSUIPC5, FS Commander (networked), very high graphics settings (30 FPS locked), all in a SINGLE P3D V4 session (flying from day thru to night).

I'm not much of a drinker, but I cracked open a bottle of Champagne for that as it's been 11 years in the waiting.

Cheers, Rob.

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

...for the first time ever (mark this day in history) I was able to fly from FSDT KCLT to FB KDEN to FSDT KLAS to FSDT KLAX, serviced by GSX at every stop, in the PMDG 747-V3 with Orbx FTX Global, OpenLC, Vector, Orbx SoCal, and AS16/ASCA (networked), (SODE 1.5.1), FSUIPC5, FS Commander (networked), very high graphics settings (30 FPS locked), all in a SINGLE P3D V4 session (flying from day thru to night).

I'm not much of a drinker, but I cracked open a bottle of Champagne for that as it's been 11 years in the waiting.

Cheers, Rob.

I didn't think Vector was P3Dv4 compatible yet Rob? It's not showing in my Orbx Central anyways...

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Cheers, Rob.

Lol amazing times have fun Rob :-)

André

Yeah the latest update to FTX Central removed it from obvious sight.  I agree it's not 100% compatible there are a few issues here and there but it still mostly works ... in the new FTX Central you can get to it via "Settings" black box and then you'll see the option to configure Orbx Vector at the bottom.

However, running of auto configuration for AEC will not work (well it didn't work for me), you'll have to manually add the ICAOs.  But like I said, there are some other issues so it's best to wait and let Orbx sort it out.

Cheers, Rob.

2 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Cheers, Rob.

Hass orbx vector been updated to v4?

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

2 hours ago, petkez said:

Hass orbx vector been updated to v4?

Not yet, they are working on an update to the configuration tool. Hopefully in the next week or two.