stripealipe

Clouds and anti-aliasing..

Recommended Posts

Is V4 still bloody well anti-aliasing the clouds too? AS16 injecting overcast conditions with thick cloud cover is hammering my 1080ti when running 4xSSAA...

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Are you saying you are using V4 now or v3?

If youre using V4 check to make sure you arent using NVI SGSS accidentally...I did this by mistake and couldnt figure out why my FPS was so bad. 

I deleted NVI and just yse 8X in the P3D V4 UI and it works great. It looks better the 2X SGSS + the FPS is higher in the clouds. 

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

I deleted NVI and just yse 8X in the P3D V4 UI and it works great. It looks better the 2X SGSS + the FPS is higher in the clouds. 

Hi Ron - Just a quick question for clarification.  Did you delete the NVI application or just remove the SGSS setting?  I'm wondering if setting NVI to the default (generic) setting is the same as deleting the application.  Looking forward to your response... and thanks.

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, using V4... ok, anyways, an update. Seems very heavy AS16 cloud coverage with overcast hammers the GPU in terms of shadows.. turned the quality down from ultra to high (still ultra distance) and now all is good in these conditions. Before it was bouncing off 99% GPU far too much for my liking...

Share this post


Link to post

Ordered grid SSAA antialiases everything....even clouds. You can try sparsed grid SSAA in NVI, but the fast few years have showed me the sparsed grid SSAA will make your GPU cook an egg as well -- because it also antaliases clouds.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks dude... yeah, it turns out it was certain cloud conditions really causing my GPU to bog down with ultra shadows. I turned down the quality slider and got an instant drop in GPU usage. I've now put it back up and generally the 1080ti is chewing up most GPU related stuff with aplomb.... still going 'wow' at my screen at what i see right now.. amazingly beautiful scenes rolling before my eyes... :)

Props to you for your FreeMesh efforts too dude. I still smile at the thought that people out there put time into creating things for others to enjoy for free.. you're a dude... :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, stripealipe said:

Thanks dude... yeah, it turns out it was certain cloud conditions really causing my GPU to bog down with ultra shadows. I turned down the quality slider and got an instant drop in GPU usage. I've now put it back up and generally the 1080ti is chewing up most GPU related stuff with aplomb.... still going 'wow' at my screen at what i see right now.. amazingly beautiful scenes rolling before my eyes... :)

Props to you for your FreeMesh efforts too dude. I still smile at the thought that people out there put time into creating things for others to enjoy for free.. you're a dude... :)

Thanks!

I use MSAA for my 970. SSAA is the first type of AA, and the most expensive I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, AviatorMoser said:

Thanks!

I use MSAA for my 970. SSAA is the first type of AA, and the most expensive I believe.

Sorry to barge in to this thread but is there any guide to installing FreeMeshX into v4? I already have it installed and running in v3.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, RancidViper said:

Sorry to barge in to this thread but is there any guide to installing FreeMeshX into v4? I already have it installed and running in v3.

Cheers

Just add your existing folders to the v4 Scenery Library. No need to make any copies (unless v3 is on a different computer).

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, AviatorMoser said:

Just add your existing folders to the v4 Scenery Library. No need to make any copies (unless v3 is on a different computer).

I will try that thank you. Just to confirm I should use Notepad ++ to edit the scenery library file?

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, RancidViper said:

I will try that thank you. Just to confirm I should use Notepad ++ to edit the scenery library file?

You can, but I recommend you don't. While in the sim, go to World -> Scenery Library, and you just add the individual FreeMeshX folders. You can also use the freeware SceneryConfigEditor tool.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now