Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[12JUL17] First Ever Triple Product Line Update at PMDG...

56 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

Not really sure what ADSL has to do with anything refered t as "slow"... I have (among others) a 20MB ADSL connection.... works perfect...

I live in the suburbs of the second largest city in Australia.

My ADSL 2(+) connection gives me 420 kb/sec (yes, kb) on a good day. The 747 took me over an hour to download. A complete joke.

• Upvote 2

David Porrett

You know guys, sometime we don't realize that in other part of the world isn't the same for those that can download in 3 mins then install in less than 1 minute like me.  If I didn't get this speed I would be going nuts, let alone uninstalling and reinstalling.  Beside this isn't common with PMDG, I hope that you will be enjoying it soon as we are.

David

1 hour ago, DavidP said:

I live in the suburbs of the second largest city in Australia.

My ADSL 2(+) connection gives me 420 kb/sec (yes, kb) on a good day. The 747 took me over an hour to download. A complete joke.

That is bad... my previous DSL was 3MB, so 360kB/sec peak... luckily they upgraded. 

2 hours ago, markdf said:

That logic makes zero sense. A micro update by definition would be updating the installed files and configuration and is the only thing that matters in an update scenario.  Updates to the original installer package are irrelevant as long as the actual product files and configuration files match once the update is complete.

Yes, users have to do it here - but the logic used to justify it does not stand up.  Beyond copy and pasting nobody has provided a proper answer or justification for why this keeps being required.

For those who struggle to follow that logic, here's a fine example:

During the lifetime of a Windows release, Microsoft re-release a number of updated versions of the Windows install CD/DVDs to account for updates. SP1, SP2 etc

Normally, you update Windows through a series of updates provided via an update client (Windows Update) (that could be considered micro updates, as they only update changed files)

Do you ever have to wipe your computer to continue to receive updates, because Microsoft have updated the installer (or install media)? The correct answer is no, you do not, because the only thing that matters is the end result of the file versions on your machine. Changes to the install media are not (and should not) be relevant to end users installing updates unless something is *really* wrong with the update process.

No, it does not make zero sense if the logic in the current installers does not contemplate things added to the new packages. 

3 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

That is bad... my previous DSL was 3MB, so 360kB/sec peak... luckily they upgraded. 

It's interesting. I once posted something similar in another FS forum and was berated by a poster who told me "that's your problem, get a better connection"! There are plenty of people who think everyone has lightening fast downloads. In respect of the PMDG products, I don't really mind having to re-download - they know what needs to be done, and anyway, the Boeings in P3D4 - well, it's a nirvana I seriously never thought I'd experience in 30+ years of simming, so it's worth it.

David Porrett

Just now, Raven9000 said:

No, it does not make zero sense if the logic in the current installers does not contemplate things added to the new packages. 

And this is how I know you have no grasp of what you just replied to.

The updater does not use the original installers so there is no relevance to which installer was used at the first point, and there is no technical reason that the updater can't install any new packages required given the fact there is an absolute version number and PMDG have the full knowledge of exactly what is installed with each specific version.  Before replying again maybe re-read the example given until you actually understand it.

Mark Fox

2 minutes ago, davidjpowell said:

Can't sleep - so I'm off to start the downloads...  Abut 5 hours worth I suspect...

David Powell

Good luck! You're gonna love it when it's done, the NGX has converted beautifully

Mark Fox

May I have your attention, please... May I have your attention, please...

Yes - You have to re-download new installers for the 747, 777, and 737.

Yes - You have to uninstall any and all existing versions of the 747, 777 , and 737 and use the new installers that were released today to get the update.

No - You don't need to deactivate your license via the CDU.

Why - Because PMDG said so...

That is all...

• Upvote 1

Benjamin Nash

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4 RAM CL14, Asus ROG Strix 4090, Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, LG OLED C1 48". 

11 minutes ago, Bnash00 said:

That is all...

It's a well known fact that customers should never question anything they're told (or even worse, ask why!)

Mark Fox

1 hour ago, markdf said:

And this is how I know you have no grasp of what you just replied to.

The updater does not use the original installers so there is no relevance to which installer was used at the first point, and there is no technical reason that the updater can't install any new packages required given the fact there is an absolute version number and PMDG have the full knowledge of exactly what is installed with each specific version.  Before replying again maybe re-read the example given until you actually understand it.

Ok buddy, you know more than the devs. Whatever you say...

Just now, Raven9000 said:

Ok buddy, you know more than the devs. Whatever you say...

I spend all day working on development and software maintenance, as in it's my full time paid job.  So yes, I do have a background in this, but I'm not saying I know more than the developers - just you, who is arguing with me I'm wrong but about all you've actually backed up your assertions with amounts to "Because that's what I've been told" rather than any kind of meaningful rebuttal.

Mark Fox

22 minutes ago, Bnash00 said:

May I have your attention, please... May I have your attention, please...

Yes - You have to re-download new installers for the 747, 777, and 737.

Yes - You have to uninstall any and all existing versions of the 747, 777 , and 737 and use the new installers that were released today to get the update.

No - You don't need to deactivate your license via the CDU.

That is all...

Should I reinstall the Bing bar?:biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Just now, bills511 said:

Should I reinstall the Bing bar?:biggrin:

Absolutely! That's my favorite part of doing the re-install

Benjamin Nash

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4 RAM CL14, Asus ROG Strix 4090, Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, LG OLED C1 48". 

3 minutes ago, Bnash00 said:

Absolutely! That's my favorite part of doing the re-install

Good to know, I heard the Ask! toolbar was the one to go for, I'll go uninstall it and get Bing instead :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Mark Fox