Sign in to follow this  

What to do...

Hmm, should I get the 737 for FSX or P3D v4...

I know Pmdg would want me to fly both but...

1 hour ago, junkyspam7 said:

Hmm, should I get the 737 for FSX or P3D v4...

I know Pmdg would want me to fly both but...

Hi James,

It would be a matter of personal choice.

I currently only use FSX but many people are moving to P3D.

What simulator are you wanting to invest in/see yourself using in a few years? :biggrin:

Greg

Greg Marshall

Windows 10 x64 | i7-6700K Skylake 4.2 GHz | 16GB DDR4 2133MHz | 750W PSU | GTX 970 4GB | Asus Z170 PRO Gaming Motherboard | H80i V2 CPU Cooler | Cooler Master Silencio 652S Case | Asus 23" Frameless Full HD Monitor | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for OS & 2TB Seagate HDD for FSX            

Due to a lack of converted scenerys, i would recommend fsx.... but only for a "short" time (dont know when your favorite airports might be converted)..... i still use fsx upon most scenerys have been released for p3d; the only planes i fly are pmdg ones... but there is no discount for fsx users (so you have to buy the same plane twice) .... so i will wait... if u dont have any pmdg now.... switch to p3d.

When you are new to flight simulation, and dont have any bought planes, scenerys etc... take the p3d.....

I recommend going with the  P3dV4 version. Only that you'll end up paying for it again as P3dV4 expands. ( which I was pretty miffed that PMDG didn't offer some kind of discount to existing customers.)

The NGX just flies better in the 64bit environment.

Everything is going to P3Dv4 eventually.  There's been devs that have said they'll ONLY support p3dv4 from here on out.  Yes, there are more sceneries for FSX, but I don't think anything in P3d is significantly worse (I know a bunch of you will disagree, I just hadn't seen a night and day difference that would justify NOT using the latest and greatest sim)

Plus, as Soundman stated, PMDG birds will fly better in the 64 bit environment (if for no other reason than the OOM's, it's worth it).  They're highly complex and 64 bit manages those complexities much better, especially as add-ons get more complex

May as well just go with P3d is what I'm saying.  It's the only one you'll be flying in a year, so just make the jump now.  I haven't even opened FSX since P3D came out

3 hours ago, Vonyc said:

Due to a lack of converted scenerys, i would recommend fsx

I guess people are still thinking / saying this.

You know, I'm running the old Fly Tampa Boston (KBOS) in P3DV4 without any difficulty whatsoever, and this is one of many sceneries (freeware and payware) I can say that about - and I have a LOT of them.

The problem in most caused are the installers, which will muck up the V4 CFG files.  To avoid this, use the terrific P3DV4 Addon Organizer (Google is your friend) and you'll be very happy.

My very best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Fly Tampa Boston (KBOS) in P3DV4 without any difficulty whatsoever,

Really!?? I tried it and it just plain didn't work.  I forget exactly what the problem was but I think it was missing surface markings and buildings..and although I don't remember exactly I do know it was major.  I check the FlyTampa forum carefully during my migration and even they said KBOS was too old to work so congratulations on doing so without difficulty.  Along the lines of this thread, yes, all my FlyTampa work except KBOS.

Dan Downs KCRP

In fact Dan, it's flawless.  You just have to manually move all the files from the Scenery]Global\Scenery folder and the Fly Tampa Libraries (though I'm not sure the last is actually needed).

EDIT:  I added this scenery via Scenery Config Editor.  At first I added it via Scenery Config Editor, but it didn't work very well.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Like Greg, I still use FSX at the moment as it is stable with all my add ons incl Pmdg's 747. I have P3D v4 purchased and ready to go at some point but can't decide on whether to get the 737 for FSX now or for P3D.  I haven't psyched myself for all the installs and tweaking involved with a new sim!