James Smith

PMDG 777 vs Captain Sim 777

22 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am thinking of getting the Cs 777 but I already have the PMDG 777 my question is what one is better. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If you have the PMDG 777 stay with that. CS does not simulate the systems, flight dynamics etc etc like PMDG does

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, James Smith said:

Ok thanks.

Definitely stick with the PMDG 777 James - you already have the best 777 available in your hanger.

Do you own the -300 ER expansion, NGX, 747 or DC6 if you are thinking about another aircraft?

:biggrin:  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you really even compare the two?

CS made the -200/ER | -300/ER (As expansions) variants while PMDG made the 77L and 77W(Expansion). There are huge differences in flight/PC performance the two.

I purchased the CS777 series out of curiosity (for only $9! Thank you sales Gods) and honestly you cannot compare theirs with PMDG...the 772 and 77L are just two VERY different planes. If you only high quality aircraft and don't care so much about the flight performance, get PMDG. If you want to truly experience a 777-200/ER flight performance, get the CS.

Externally and Sound, the CS777 is a masterpiece in my opinion,especially all the engine variants. The VC could use some work, along with their gauges but it's not a bad aircraft. I won't go into my opinion on PMDG, just know myself and many other own them.

Do your research into the actual aircraft PMDG and CS have to offer. Then decide if you want a very high quality aircraft or a decent aircraft that is not mainstream. 

Honestly, with a few updates, the CS777  could easily be one of the most used aircraft out there. It's a shame thir aircraft isn't being updated to it's full potential. 

Cheers!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, et31 said:

Definitely stick with the PMDG 777 James - you already have the best 777 available in your hanger.

Do you own the -300 ER expansion, NGX, 747 or DC6 if you are thinking about another aircraft?

I have the -300 ER expansion and also I have the ngx the ngx -600/700 expansion and the 747.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/08/2017 at 4:36 PM, CaptainGabe said:

Can you really even compare the two?

CS made the -200/ER | -300/ER (As expansions) variants while PMDG made the 77L and 77W(Expansion). There are huge differences in flight/PC performance the two.

I purchased the CS777 series out of curiosity (for only $9! Thank you sales Gods) and honestly you cannot compare theirs with PMDG...the 772 and 77L are just two VERY different planes. If you only high quality aircraft and don't care so much about the flight performance, get PMDG. If you want to truly experience a 777-200/ER flight performance, get the CS.

Externally and Sound, the CS777 is a masterpiece in my opinion,especially all the engine variants. The VC could use some work, along with their gauges but it's not a bad aircraft. I won't go into my opinion on PMDG, just know myself and many other own them.

Do your research into the actual aircraft PMDG and CS have to offer. Then decide if you want a very high quality aircraft or a decent aircraft that is not mainstream. 

Honestly, with a few updates, the CS777  could easily be one of the most used aircraft out there. It's a shame thir aircraft isn't being updated to it's full potential. 

Cheers!

Of course the 772 and 77L have different performance due to engine thrust, but after takeoff and initial climb you won't notice the 77L's extra thrust. What you will notice is the limited systems simulation in the CS777 and less accurate VC. Although it offers three different engines I doubt the performance is in any way close to accurate for all of them. It's a frustrating sim to use, especially the electronic checklist implication. The EFB is almost useless unless you put in a ton of work converting PDF charts for it. It's not a bad sim, in my view it's the best "glass cockpit" sim CS have released, but it isn't remotely comparable to a PMDG product.

I get better frame rates and smoother performance in the PMDG. YMMV.

For €10 in a sale it's a good buy of all you want is good external visual and sound simulation of most 777 variants. If you already have the PMDG 777 the CS777 is a waste of money. I certainly wouldn't pay full price for it.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A funny question in a PMDG forum, but why not. I'm overall content with the product apart from some minor nuisances. I find that the PMDG T7 has difficulties to maintain a pitch angle, for example.

 

I can't say anything on the Captain Sim 777, the only other 777 I have tried was a combination of the Project OpenSky model with JB's 777 panel in FSX. The panel is surprisingly elaborated for freeware, but regarding to the Posky 777 model, I had to do a lot of tweaking of the aircraft.cfg to get a decent flying behaviour. The upside of this was that I really got to know the aircraft specifications.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CaptainLars said:

A funny question in a PMDG forum, but why not. I'm overall content with the product apart from some minor nuisances. I find that the PMDG T7 has difficulties to maintain a pitch angle, for example.

According to the pilots I've spoken to, they say its characteristics are fairly accurate. Usuaully a W&B/CG issue.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CaptainGabe said:

According to the pilots I've spoken to, they say its characteristics are fairly accurate. Usuaully a W&B/CG issue.

+1 Based on my conversations with current type rated 777 pilots PMDG usually has a fairly high reputation.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14.8.2017 at 3:04 AM, CaptainGabe said:

According to the pilots I've spoken to, they say its characteristics are fairly accurate. Usuaully a W&B/CG issue.

I do not use weird weight balancing.

 

19 hours ago, gabep1 said:

+1 Based on my conversations with current type rated 777 pilots PMDG usually has a fairly high reputation.

I translate what you said here:

"Based on what I hear from other people, the company PMDG normally doesn't suffer from a low reputation, though sometimes it does."

 

Seriosly: I never talked about PMDG's reputation, nor did I say I wouldn't be satisfied with the 777. If I wasn't satisfied with the 777, I wouldn't have flown it in 96 flights and 305,629 nm (that's more than 14 times around the planet) so far, numerous touch & go maneuvers not included. And I'm even purchasing the 737 soon. And yet I have heard from other people, too, that it's not as easy as in RL to maintain a stable pitch attitude with this bird.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CaptainLars said:

I do not use weird weight balancing.

 

Not weird, incorrect or beyond limitations. Each flight is different especially if you factor temperature for T/O and cruise altitudes. 
A good TOW CG is about 25-35% Anything beyond that your plane is tail/nose heavy.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CaptainGabe said:

Not weird, incorrect or beyond limitations. Each flight is different especially if you factor temperature for T/O and cruise altitudes. 
A good TOW CG is about 25-35% Anything beyond that your plane is tail/nose heavy.

I use PFPX for flight planning, then I enter the passengers and ZFW (about 20% more weight usually in the front cargo compartment) into the computer. It's all inside the limitations. I set the correct trim before takeoff, and I can't remember a CG below or above what you said.

Further, it's not that the 777 would be tail or nose heavy. It's that when you pull the yoke, it goes very much up, so you must correct. Then it goes very much down, and you must correct. Then it goes very much up, and you must correct... I use the trim switch fairly often on climb-out, trimming up and down. Perhaps I should try to leave the trim switch more alone.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CaptainLars said:

Further, it's not that the 777 would be tail or nose heavy. It's that when you pull the yoke, it goes very much up, so you must correct. Then it goes very much down, and you must correct. Then it goes very much up, and you must correct... I use the trim switch fairly often on climb-out, trimming up and down. Perhaps I should try to leave the trim switch more alone.

That's an entire different conversation then. I rarely adjust trim on climb out. Most pilots I talk to climb out at their V2 speed and slowly increase as their flaps go up. But aside from that, those actions by the aircraft should be more or less fully controlled by the pilot.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CaptainLars said:

I use PFPX for flight planning, then I enter the passengers and ZFW (about 20% more weight usually in the front cargo compartment) into the computer. It's all inside the limitations. I set the correct trim before takeoff, and I can't remember a CG below or above what you said.

Further, it's not that the 777 would be tail or nose heavy. It's that when you pull the yoke, it goes very much up, so you must correct. Then it goes very much down, and you must correct. Then it goes very much up, and you must correct... I use the trim switch fairly often on climb-out, trimming up and down. Perhaps I should try to leave the trim switch more alone.

I’ve never had issues like that. You might want to look at your hardware calibration and sensitivity. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now