Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Are you happy with P3Dv4?

Did another flight this evening above Norway in the A2A Cherokee (boy, did I miss that plane). Installed the excellent Airports or Norway freeware addon (on top of FTX Norway and HD Trees) and fiddled a bit more with the P3D settings, a.o. HDR. The last time I flew in P3D I had HDR disabled, never could get it right, but now I think I found some nice settings (bloom quite a bit down, saturation a bit up) and I like what I see! Has it been improved? Anyway, it's good now. Performance above Norway is great, I have to say, and that with extreme settings. All in all I am very happy with P3D v4. And also happy to have a good weather engine again: I really missed those great looking clouds as far as the eye can see and that turbulence all the time in that little Cherokee. Obviously this has nothing to do with v4 on its own but well, I just had to add this. :happy:

BTW I didn't give VR a try yet, I might sometime, but I have to say that after spending months in AFS2 with VR I am sooooooo happy to use my TrackIR on my 2D screen again: specially with 4x SSAA things look sooooo sharp! Perfect, really! The immersion of VR is awesome but things look so pixelated... It's great being able to read absolutely everything in the Cherokee cockpit and to clearly see the destination airport from a distance. Again, this has nothing to do with v4 on its own but well, I just had to add this too. :happy:

Yes, I am happy with P3D v4.

EDIT: one disappointment: my Aerosoft Airbus won't work in v4 so I have no airliners to fly with. (Well, of course I can fly the one in AFS2...)

I was happy with my old GTX770 and P3Dv4...now I'm very happy with my new 1080ti :gaul:,AS4, A2A's, Orbx, Ezca2, Mce, VoxAtc, F1 Gtn's, Realair's and so...

Btw I fly also the old Fsx with Fsl, Majestic Q400, Coolsky and some others that are not yet ported on P3D4...

Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Incredible v4....!!

i9vvci.png

iF0HRK.pngCVheTc.png

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

18 hours ago, DrumsArt said:

I was happy with my old GTX770 and P3Dv4...now I'm very happy with my new 1080ti :gaul:,AS4, A2A's, Orbx, Ezca2, Mce, VoxAtc, F1 Gtn's, Realair's and so...

Btw I fly also the old Fsx with Fsl, Majestic Q400, Coolsky and some others that are not yet ported on P3D4...

Regards,

Richard,

Since I also am happy with my GTX770, what does "very happy" translate into?

Smoothness, crispness, ... ??

Bert

25 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Richard,

Since I also am happy with my GTX770, what does "very happy" translate into?

Smoothness, crispness, ... ??

Bert,

From Gtx770 to 1080ti is a real leap forward for me about smoothness, crispness...Believe me, this is definitely not a placebo effect. For example I had some little lags with the A2A Connie, they disappeared with the 1080ti.

During monitoring with Open Hardware Monitor the 770 Gpu Memory was +-100% in use, with the 1080ti I have +-23%

Being generally more optimized for video cards than was Fsx, P3D uses to the best the power and the capacities of this card (11Gg).

And last but not least, obviously I was able to push a little further the graphic settings of P3D4 for a great result.

Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

8 minutes ago, DrumsArt said:

Bert,

From Gtx770 to 1080ti is a real leap forward for me about smoothness, crispness...Believe me, this is definitely not a placebo effect. For example I had some little lags with the A2A Connie, they disappeared with the 1080ti.

During monitoring with Open Hardware Monitor the 770 Gpu Memory was +-100% in use, with the 1080ti I have +-23%

Being generally more optimized for video cards than was Fsx, P3D uses to the best the power and the capacities of this card (11Gg).

And last but not least, obviously I was able to push a little further the graphic settings of P3D4 for a great result.

Regards,

Darn... I was afraid you might say that - now I need to examine my bank account, once again.

Spoiler

Just checked 1080 prices... not going to happen.. :huh:

Bert

bert i would very happily contribute to you for all the work you do for the gtn 750 intergration

if a few other simmers will do the same your 1080 just might be viable

what do you other simmers say

• Upvote 1

jeff storey

3 minutes ago, jstorey20 said:

bert i would very happily contribute to you for all the work you do for the gtn 750 intergration

if a few other simmers will do the same your 1080 just might be viable

what do you other simmers say

+1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

36 minutes ago, DrumsArt said:

From Gtx770 to 1080ti is a real leap forward for me about smoothness, crispness

36 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Darn... I was afraid you might say that - now I need to examine my bank account, once again.

Around a year ago, when I was still flying P3D v3, I replaced my GTX780 with a GTX1080 as a test and I returned the 1080 to the shop because the difference was mainly noticable with AA: I could use higher settings and get sharper graphics. But as far as fps was concerned I found the difference not worth the money of the GPU. Not at all. The CPU is still very important with P3D. However, I do think, although I couldn't actually test it, that v4 runs better in general and so a GTX 1080 may have a larger advantage. But do not expect to double your fps. The differences are still in the details.

I moved from a GTX780 to a GTX1070 one year ago and even though it doesn't necesseraly increase fps it did greatly reduce fps variance and therefore enhance smoothness. The graphics card does make a difference even in P3Dv3. 

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

So much to like here, with greater stability and much improved utilization of system memory and vram being at the top of my list. My pet peeve with v.4 is the HDR lighting. LM provides 3 sliders so we can adjust lighting between so-so and appallingly awful. It looks so much better with this feature turned off. Otherwise, a great sim environment, and I'm glad I got on board early to work through the kinks with the early adopters.

Rich

I've read many people talking about this texture exp 10 "tweak" so I got interested and did a Google search and found the below site comparing texture exp 8-10 and honestly I can't say I noticed much of a difference so not sure why this is so popular? Or maybe it was just me being blind or the difference doesn't show up in screenshots?

Here's the comparison.

Richard Åsberg

25 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

I've read many people talking about this texture exp 10 "tweak" so I got interested and did a Google search and found the below site comparing texture exp 8-10 and honestly I can't say I noticed much of a difference so not sure why this is so popular? Or maybe it was just me being blind or the difference doesn't show up in screenshots?

Here's the comparison.

I use it, but the difference is indeed subtle while loading time even from a SSD is MUCH longer. The pix on the referenced site give a quite appropriate impression.

I would say it's something nice to have, but by no means required to enjoy Prepar3d4. Not sure if I'll keep it forever.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 hour ago, WebMaximus said:

Here's the comparison.

Seems like a total waste of time and resources imho.

I don't use any tweaks and neither stuff like PTA with P3D v4. I like to keep things simple nowadays. You can tweak and edit for years but whatever you do you will get used to it all in no time so I rather stick with what I get out of the box and with specific addons (Orbx, AS).