Sign in to follow this  
CajunRon

Strange Engine Failure, 737 for P3D V4

Recommended Posts

I have had an engine failure of both engines (even with realism settings set so that engine stress will not cause engine damage) at approximate the same location in an approach that I cannot explain.  It is a saved scenario flying the newly purchased PMDG 737 in P3D V4.   I'm flying a modified RNVY 08 Approach into Orbx modelled LOWI (Innsbruck) airport.   I modify the approach in the FMC by putting a holding pattern at ELMEM (as shown on the most current approach plates).   I replicate the same hold pattern as shown on the plate (downwind bearing 149 deg with left turns).   I'm stable at 220 knots, 13000 ft,  no flaps, no gear.  I'm showing 2250 lbs fuel remaining in the two main tanks.   In two separate runs,  either right before or after entering the hold in stable level flight, for no reason that I can determine,  both engines shutdown and and report ENG FAIL on the engine page.  At that point I try to start the APU so I can have bleed air to try to start the engines (I don't know/follow the proper engine out procedure because I dont' simulate failures) but the APU will not start.  I also put the engine start switches to CONT with no success.  I even tried the CTRL E cheat but that does nothing.  The sim continues to run fine and I can still control the plane and glide.

I also notice that if I program the HOLD before I've reached the point where the ELMEM waypoint becomes the active waypoint, after passing the prior waypoint, the plane begins a right turn away from ELMEM (magenta line to ELMEM disappears).

Any thoughts on what might be wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I flew the approach again from a totally fresh start and did not have an engine shutdown.   Along the way I saved the scenario so that I could try it again.   When I started the saved scenario, once again, while on the approach I had a total engine shutdown for no apparent reason.   It seems to be indicating that the problem is with Save Scenario.   I'll now try it again with another plane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are you using LOWI Orbx in P3Dv4, using the beta object flow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I am.  I haven't had any problems with any of the Orbx scenery in P3D V4 using it.   I just flew the approach with the PMDG 747 for P3D V4 (flew the approach, saved a scenario along the way and then flew from the saved scenario).   Didn't have any problems at all.   So it appears the problem is only with the 737.   Now to try other airports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

May I know if you have solved the issue. I have experienced similar issue on my PMDG 77W. The fuel cut-off switches suddenly switched themselves OFF when cruising hence both engines were shut down without any control input from mine. Among my problematic flights, all of them occurred at proximate locations. I am really confused about what caused that actually.

Please let me know how things went on eventually for you

Anson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, tszchun_anson said:

Please let me know how things went on eventually for you

Please note that this thread is a year and an few months old. While I do appreciate the use of the search function, bringing an old thread back up like this probably won't get you an answer, as the involved parties have usually moved on.

All the same, our aircraft will never automatically set the fuel switches for you. There is zero automation in our software that would do that, so it is likely a hardware issue (a mixture axis, for example), or some third-party "multi-crew" software you're running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Please note that this thread is a year and an few months old. While I do appreciate the use of the search function, bringing an old thread back up like this probably won't get you an answer, as the involved parties have usually moved on.

All the same, our aircraft will never automatically set the fuel switches for you. There is zero automation in our software that would do that, so it is likely a hardware issue (a mixture axis, for example), or some third-party "multi-crew" software you're running.

I do agree with you. I now suspect that there is something wrong with my control assignments in FSUIPC.

 

Here was what happened ( around 2:48:08 )

https://youtu.be/LX_BNFEjzME?t=4681

Now I am currently assigning buttons with event IDs I found online and have been working perfectly ever since. Particularly, I have been using 70152 and 70153 representing switches for engine 1 and 2 respectively. When flipping UP the assigned button on my physical throttle unit, FSUIPC sends the command of switching the fuel cut-off switch to ON position; When flipping DN the button, it is considered a release of that physical button that get FSUIPC send the command of switching that to OFF position. I now wonder if something happened that made the PC “think” that those buttons were released therefore get FSUIPC send the command of switching off the fuel controls. 

FYI, I am using the Thrustmaster Warthog throttle unit. The buttons I mentioned are “two-position” which means they will not bounce back to original position. However only one of two positions are considered as an input to PC, while the other position is considered as a button release. (I do try my best to explain this, please let me know if you still cannot understand what I mean haha).

Thanks very much!

Anson

Edited by tszchun_anson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, tszchun_anson said:

Now I am currently assigning buttons with event IDs I found online and have been working perfectly ever since. Particularly, I have been using 70152 and 70153 representing switches for engine 1 and 2 respectively. When flipping UP the assigned button on my physical throttle unit, FSUIPC sends the command of switching the fuel cut-off switch to ON position; When flipping DN the button, it is considered a release of that physical button that get FSUIPC send the command of switching that to OFF position. I now wonder if something happened that made the PC “think” that those buttons were released therefore get FSUIPC send the command of switching off the fuel controls. 

FYI, I am using the Thrustmaster Warthog throttle unit. The buttons I mentioned are “two-position” which means they will not bounce back to original position. However only one of two positions are considered as an input to PC, while the other position is considered as a button release. (I do try my best to explain this, please let me know if you still cannot understand what I mean haha).

I understand it, but this is a configuration issue. If the hardware is sending odd commands based on how it's set up in FSUIPC, that's a hardware/FSUIPC issue, and not one with the plane.

I'm hoping someone with more FSUIPC experience can step in and take you from here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although all the observations seemed to be pointing finger to control assignments, they actually have been working perfectly without issues since I reinstalled Windows almost a year ago. I did a few long-haul flights and bunches of short-haul flights without the issue happening. From WSSS to VHHH was the first and only problematic route along which I encountered auto engine shut-down. The strangest thing was that the three occasions were all at proximate locations - south or south-east of Paracel Islands, around 2.5 hours after take-off. This makes me suspect whether there were something other than FSUIPC sending the command to the sim...

Anson 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check your fuel load in the FMC. What I have found with a saved flight the fuel load shown on the EFIS incorrect - if you look at the fuel load in the FMC it's low and causes fuel exhaustion to occur. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loading once scenario on top of the other will cause all kinds of weird fuel issues, including incorrect readings on the EFIS.  The display should always be correct.... if you started your session per instructions in the Introduction document.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this