Rockliffe

Need help with Win 10 repair

At first I thought I was having issues with P3D v4 but it looks more like that Win 10 is the culprit. I've embarked on a mammoth reinstall of Win 10 and P3D V4 and so today I have installed Acronis, 3 FSDT airports and TrackIR. I went on my first proper flight out to the mountains around Zurich. After about 30 minutes I was on final to a small airfield when the whole sim crashed. It froze completely, with nothing to do other than switch off at the power button. On rebooting, the whole system went at a snail's pace and took about 5 minutes to open P3D. I decided to reboot and after doing so I got a series of beeps and a blue screen saying: System thread exception not handled  clfs.sys. Having done some research, it appears this is not uncommon. It also seems a repair of Win10 would be a good option, although this is proving difficult because I can't get into safe mode and I can't get into Windows. In fact I'm a little stumped as to the best way forward. I'm also worried that a repair may injure some of the files on the C: drive. I understand it will give me the option to retain the files, but I also understand that 'apps' will be lost?? Unsure what is meant by apps and hope that does not mean anything relating to scenery or aircraft control panels. Any help would be truly appreciated. Cheers fellas.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

There are some admin cmd routines you can try first. For example sfc /scannow. This checks the Windows file system for corrupt files and replaces them. Google it to find out how to use it. 

21 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

I got a series of beeps...

The beeps are often a good indicator of what's going wrong. If you count them you can go to https://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm and find out what they mean (they're often associated with hardware errors).

1. Do what vortex681 said above.  Note that you likely have a LED alpha/numeric display on the motherboard that will also provide you some valuable information  - should be able to decode what it means in your motherboard manual.

2. Unplug your computer from the power source.

3. Open your computer case and inspect everything. Look for cards - especially memory, that aren't seated properly. Make sure there aren't any open wires touching the case.

4. Unplug everything except the keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor from the back of your computer, then reconnect the power source to your computer.

5.  Consult your motherboard manual and find the CMOS reset switch (momentary push switch).  Press the switch and hold down for 10 seconds (10 seconds is not absolutely necessary).

6. Attempt to boot the computer back up. If it works, great. If not, count the beeps and proceed down the path of troubleshooting a hardware error (Step 1 above).

If after the above you're still having the same problem and you're not computer savvy, you might consider taking your computer to a repair facility (or back where you got it if it's still under warranty).

Hey guys, thanks all so much for the advice, but after spending all day yesterday trying to sort it, I've got my PC guru coming over tomorrow. Really unsure what the issue is. I can't even boot from an ISO installation USB drive to repair Win10. Even though I've prioritised the boot drive etc etc. It just won't get past the error message. Then it shows it's going into repair mode and then starts rebooting itself and goes on a circular cycle. I'm really miffed, as I have been so careful to do the original install of Win10 and P3D V4, it's clearly something bad. Anyway, I hope tomorrow if we can perform a Win 10 repair it will be OK.

If you're getting blue screens and can't even boot my suspicion is either a bad overclock (if you're lucky) or a hardware problem.

Cheers!

Sorry to hear about this Howard. I hope your PC guy can spot something.

On 04/09/2017 at 10:26 PM, Rockliffe said:

I've got my PC guru coming over tomorrow.

Did you get your system sorted?

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

Sorry to hear about this Howard. I hope your PC guy can spot something.

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

Did you get your system sorted?

Thanks for your concern guys, appreciated. He was a little confused as to why it wouldn't boot from the repair disc. But having been searching Google, it is not uncommon and I think it has something to do with a setting in BIOS, nothing to do with the boot order but more to do with UEFI (???) Anyway, I hope to hear from him tomorrow, so whatever the outcome I'll let you guys know.

1 minute ago, Rockliffe said:

But having been searching Google, it is not uncommon and I think it has something to do with a setting in BIOS, nothing to do with the boot order but more to do with UEFI

Howard, I had a vaguely similar problem with Windows 10 when I first installed it. It seemed to go into a boot loop and often took a number of restarts to get into Windows. After a lot of troubleshooting I finally came up with a solution which worked. I had three drives in my system at the time - one SSD (the primary boot drive) and two hard drives. The boot sequence in the BIOS was the SSD followed by the hard drives and then a USB device. I found that by putting one of the non-system hard drives as the first in the sequence (even though I couldn't actually boot from it) followed by the SSD it booted reliably into Windows every time. I'm still not entirely sure why this worked but I suspect that the SSD needed a very slight delay before it began the startup sequence (a wild guess). It might be worth a try if your guru doesn't come up with a solution.

10 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Howard, I had a vaguely similar problem with Windows 10 when I first installed it. It seemed to go into a boot loop and often took a number of restarts to get into Windows. After a lot of troubleshooting I finally came up with a solution which worked. I had three drives in my system at the time - one SSD (the primary boot drive) and two hard drives. The boot sequence in the BIOS was the SSD followed by the hard drives and then a USB device. I found that by putting one of the non-system hard drives as the first in the sequence (even though I couldn't actually boot from it) followed by the SSD it booted reliably into Windows every time. I'm still not entirely sure why this worked but I suspect that the SSD needed a very slight delay before it began the startup sequence (a wild guess). It might be worth a try if your guru doesn't come up with a solution.

Hiya, I have just this minute got off the phone from my PC man. It seems he has got to the bottom of things. He took the OS drive out and tried it in two other PCs and it just blue screened. He then tried it on a Linux machine and it worked. It seems after further investigation there was a corrupted partition. He went on to say that all the data and everything on the main partition still appears to be intact, which is good, but there's no way of discovering what caused the corruption in the first place. Hmmm, I thought, it happened the day after I had installed Acronis 2016!!! Could this be what caused it? He didn't think so, but he also didn't rule it out either.

21 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Hmmm, I thought, it happened the day after I had installed Acronis 2016

Whilst Acronis never did anything like that for me, I stopped using it a few years ago and switched to Macrium Reflect for one, fundamental, reason. The only time I ever tried to use it in anger to restore a hard drive, it didn't work! It claimed that none of my backups were valid Acronis files even though they had all been created with the same version of Acronis that I was using to try to restore the drive. Fortunately I had separate data-only backups created with a batch file so the important stuff wasn't lost. I know that a lot of people swear by Acronis but this ruined my faith in the software.

Macrium Reflect has been flawless. I use the paid version and occasionally restore just a file or a single folder from the backup just to check that it's still valid.

1 minute ago, vortex681 said:

Whilst Acronis never did anything like that for me, I stopped using it a few years ago and switched to Macrium Reflect for one, fundamental, reason. The only time I ever tried to use it in anger to restore a hard drive, it didn't work! It claimed that none of my backups were valid Acronis files even though they had all been created with the same version of Acronis that I was using to try to restore the drive. Fortunately I had separate data-only backups created with a batch file so the important stuff was not lost. I know that a lot of people swear by Acronis but this ruined my faith in the software.

Macrium Reflect has been flawless. I use the paid version and occasionally restore just a file or a single folder from the backup just to check that it's still valid.

Hmm, actually, I said it was the day after I installed Acronis, but in actual fact it was just later the same day. So effectively straight after I had installed the darn thing! My PC man is not a great advocate of such software, he suggests I get a nice big HD and simply clone the drives across. I think I will do that. Or I may look at your recommendation for Macrium Reflect.

1 minute ago, Rockliffe said:

My PC man is not a great advocate of such software, he suggests I get a nice big HD and simply clone the drives across.

That's definitely a good idea but, technically, cloning just completely reproduces one drive on another (empty sectors and all) and does not allow multiple physical drives to be saved on to one target drive - you need a separate drive for each drive you want to clone. It's also time consuming as the entire drive has to be cloned each time you do it. Imaging, on the other hand, makes more sense for backup because you can put multiple image backups onto one sufficiently large external hard drive. It also allows you to subsequently back up just the changes that have happened since the last full image was created so the backup is generally much faster.

I use a real belt-and-braces approach to backups. I use Microsoft SyncToy to synchronise important folders from my PC to a NAS drive. I also sync those folders to MS OneDrive in the cloud (always a good idea to have remote backups of stuff that can't be replaced). Finally, I use Macrium Reflect to image my drives weekly to a large, external USB drive. I've been caught out once and I'm determined it won't happen again.

31 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

That's definitely a good idea but, technically, cloning just completely reproduces one drive on another (empty sectors and all) and does not allow multiple physical drives to be saved on to one target drive - you need a separate drive for each drive you want to clone. It's also time consuming as the entire drive has to be cloned each time you do it. Imaging, on the other hand, makes more sense for backup because you can put multiple image backups onto one sufficiently large external hard drive. It also allows you to subsequently back up just the changes that have happened since the last full image was created so the backup is generally much faster.

I use a real belt-and-braces approach to backups. I use Microsoft SyncToy to synchronise important folders from my PC to a NAS drive. I also sync those folders to MS OneDrive in the cloud (always a good idea to have remote backups of stuff that can't be replaced). Finally, I use Macrium Reflect to image my drives weekly to a large, external USB drive. I've been caught out once and I'm determined it won't happen again.

Hmm, sounds like I need to follow your advice. So is Macrium Reflect intuitive and easy to use? It appears not as straightforward as Easeus Todo Backup, which has some good reviews. From reading about it, it seems the free version would be fine for me, as I always just do a complete drive clone. I don't bother with files or folders, just a straight drive to drive copy. What do you think?

37 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Hmm, sounds like I need to follow your advice. So is Macrium Reflect intuitive and easy to use?

It is very easy to use and totally reliable, you can also install it to your boot menu so as long as you can get to that point you will be able to fully recover your machine.

the paid version has some really neat things, you will probably buy that one eventually.

2 minutes ago, Glynn said:

It is very easy to use and totally reliable, you can also install it to your boot menu so as long as you can get to that point you will be able to fully recover your machine.

the paid version has some really neat things, you will probably buy that one eventually.

you can also install it to your boot menu... by this do you mean it's possible to burn a recovery disc inc case the OS drive fails?

Some kind of adjustment to the boot menu may be the very cause of the problem in the first place. It's possible both backup apps lead to the same problem with a particular hardware setup.

AOMEI Backupper.  Solid as a rock.  Went to it several years ago after Acronis failed me (same sort of thing Vortex noted above).  It isn't as fast as Macrium but it is stone cold simple to use (even my wife can use it, and she has trouble clicking on the CCleaner icon then pressing the "Run" button!!).

https://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html

Greg

Get whatever make of backup app you want up and running and restoring a simple Windows setup before putting the sims and anything else on - is what I'm suggesting.

21 hours ago, lownslo said:

AOMEI Backupper.  Solid as a rock.  Went to it several years ago after Acronis failed me (same sort of thing Vortex noted above).  It isn't as fast as Macrium but it is stone cold simple to use (even my wife can use it, and she has trouble clicking on the CCleaner icon then pressing the "Run" button!!).

https://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html

Greg

Do you have the free version Gregg?

22 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

you can also install it to your boot menu... by this do you mean it's possible to burn a recovery disc inc case the OS drive fails?

You can burn a recovery disk but the better option is to install the recovery environment to your boot menu.... you will then be presented with the option to load windows or the Macrium recovery system at every boot.

Macrium is by far the fastest of all the imaging software, it does a differential backup every day of my OS drive and P3D drive in less than two mins . The paid versions incremental backup and delta restore is very rapid indeed.

Solid software with very good support by a British company

23 hours ago, lownslo said:

It isn't as fast as Macrium but it is stone cold simple to use

That can be both a good and a bad feature, depending on your requirements. Macrium Reflect can do a simple, no-frills backup if that's all you want but it's big advantage is that it's very customisable with many extra features which are available if you want them.