Sign in to follow this  
byork

FAQS and QUICK HELP!

FAQs and Quick Help:

Question: I have FS2Crew NGX Reboot.  What will the learning curve be like?

Answer: Low.  The Reboot NGX interface style was very popular and people found it easy to use, so we decided to keep the same user interface system.  For the 747, you'll mainly need to learn the 747 flows.  There are also some other differences described in the manual, such as how the FA can be contacted via the interphone.

Question: In the 737, I heard a passenger boarding sound during preflight, but I can't in the 747.

Answer:  According to our real-world 747 pilot, in a 747 cockpit you can't hear any passengers.  Remember:  The 747 is not a 737.

Question:  I have P3D V4, and the FO is not moving any of the switches or pressing buttons.

Answer:  

You need to have the latest P3D V4 version.

To know what version of P3D V4 you have, right click on the Prepar3D.exe located in your main P3D folder.

Look at the "details" section / tab.

Look at the "file version".

You need to have 4.0.28.21686 or later installed.

More info here:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6305&t=125533

Question: How do I turn on the night lighting for the FS2Crew panel?

Answer: This is in the manual, but remember to move the outter knob shown here on the Captain's side to the full on position (two right clicks with your mouse).

panellight.PNG

Question: The localizer and glideslope alive calls play at the wrong time.

Answer: We can't, with total accuracy, read the position of the loc and glideslope needles the  same way you can see them on the instrument panel with your own eyes.  It should be accurate most of the time, but if you don't like them, you can always disable them via the Config Options if you don't like them.

Question: I have general problems.

Answer: Make sure your anti-v*rus program is excluding the FS/P3D folder.  Some anti v*rus programs are aggressive and will quarantine critical files causing problems.

For additional diagnostic help, Please run the "SYSTEM CHECK" located via the FS2Crew 747 Config Manager located on your desktop.

747systemcheck.PNG

Question:  I'm using FSX.  The PS button does not work.  I click it but nothing happens.  But it works fine in P3D.

Answer: The PS button opens our new Panel Switcher panel that allows users to easily skip direct to different camera views around the cockpit.  It's a very handy tool.  It's like EZDOK in a way.

747_panel_switcher.PNG

747_panel_switcher1.PNG

The FSX Version of the PMDG 747 uses up all the available panel windows slots, so there's no room for the Panel Switcher.  This problem is not an issue in P3D.

The (optional) solution is this:

1. Open the "panel.cfg" file located here with NotePad (it's a good idea to make a backup first).

SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 747-400\panel\

2. Put forward slashes in front of these two lines:

Change this:

window11=Zoomed Right Inboard DU
window12=Zoomed Right Outboard DU

To this:

//window11=Zoomed Right Inboard DU
//window12=Zoomed Right Outboard DU

3. Finally, remove the two slashes from the Panel Switcher line.

Change this:

//window18=FS2Crew Panel Switcher

To this:

window18=FS2Crew Panel Switcher

That's it! 

Your panel switcher will now load in FSX!

Question:  Radar Contact or other 3rd party addons are no longer working properly.

Answer: Apply the same fixed used for the PS (Panel Switcher) button described above as the source of the problem is the same (panel window limit).

Question:  The 747 Config Manager will not load.

Answer:

1. Delete and Reinstall the Riva Tuner Statistics Service.  That worked for one user.

Question:  The 747 Config Manager crashes.

Answer:

1. Repair your .Net files by re-downloading .Net via this link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=863262

Question: My panel FS2Crew Main Panel is black.

Answer:

This means the FS2Crew gauge did not load.

1. Re-install the PMDG 747 aircraft.  Ensure it's the latest version.  Manually delete any left over PMDG 747 folders in the SimObjects folder after the uninstall, then re-install.  That will restore the 747's panel.cfg to its original, clean state.  Then re-enable FS2Crew.  This will ensure everything is in the right place.

2. Do not use Saved Situation files.  If using FSX, default aircraft on the Free Flight screen should be the Trike.  P3D: Default aircraft on load-up should not be the 747.

3. Run the "SYSTEM CHECK" in the Config Manager.

4. Try this solution as a last resort.  This is a very rare situation, but it solved the problem for one user:

http://lkalamaras.blogspot.de/2007/06/was-this-for-our-own-good.html

5. Another use was using BITDEFENDER, an anti-virus program that nuked a lot of FS2Crew files.  Make sure your anti-virus is excluding the main FS folder.  Personally I just use Windows Defender; no problems for me.

Question: Where did the VOICE button go?

Answer: To minimize screen real-estate, we moved it to the SECONDARY PANEL.  When you first load the 747, FS2Crew is in BUTTON CONTROL mode by default.  If you want to enable VOICE CONTROL, open the SECONDARY PANEL and go to the SETUP PAGE.  We're using the same system found in NGX Reboot!

Question: Where are the manuals?

Answer: START - ALL PROGRAMS - FS2CREW2017 and also at: www.support.fs2crew.com

Question:  I'm getting the SDK Error.

Answer:  Consult the MAIN OPS MANUAL Trouble Shooting sections.  Odds are you're using Saved Situation files, and those are a no-no.  The Trike should always be the default aircraft on the Free Flight screen in FSX.  Also run the SYSTEM CHECK via the FS2Crew 747 Config Manager.

Also, ensure you actually have the LATEST version of the PMDG 747 installed.  We've received some reports that the PMDG Ops Center may not update the 747 properly to the latest version.  In that case, uninstall and re-install the Plane.  But make sure you do in fact have the LATEST version installed.

Question: I get an error message when I try to enable FS2Crew in the 747 Configurator.

Answer: You have a write permission problem.  From another user:

In the upper window of the "safety-tab" proprieties of the FSX folder I had to add (it wasn't in the previous menu) "everyone" than in the lower window I had to select the authorizations for "everyone" and I selected also "scrittura" enabled ("writing" enabled) and than Windows updated all the files of this folder with the new authorizations...

Question:  I get no headset audio, or I'm losing my audio.

Answer: 

Uninstall your current audio drivers via the Windows Control panel, and re-start your system.  You want to use the Microsoft "Realtek" drivers.  Sometimes, custom audio drivers can cause this issue.

In Windows Sound options, uncheck the option that allows programs to take "exclusive" control of your audio device.

Update your audio drivers.

Open the Windows "Volume Mixer".  Ensure the "Applications" slider is not muted.

Also, the 2018 Windows Spring Update appears to add new "privacy" options for your microphone that, if enabled, can turn off your microphone. 

See this thread for more info:

Question:  How do I install the English - US language pack in Windows 10?  I tried, but English - US is not visible in the 'Language' drop down menu.

Answer:

1. Go to Settings > Time & language > Region & language.

2. Select "ADD A LANGUAGE TO THIS DEVICE".
3. Select the language you want to use from the list (ENGLISH)
4. Choose which region's version you want to use (ENGLISH - US).   
5. Left click on the English US language set, and a new menu should appear.  Then you must click 'OPTIONS' and then click 'DOWNLOAD' under the 'SPEECH ' category.
6. Go to the 'ADVANCED SPEECH OPTIONS' page in the Control panel.
7. English - US should now be visible in the Language drop down menu.
8. Don't forget to train your voice!

Question: I'm running Windows 10.  The system is not hearing my voice.

Answer:

Uninstall Asus Sonic Studio, Asus Sonic Radar and Asus Studio 3 if you have them installed.  You don't need their bloatware. That solved it for one user.  Another user had an audio program called Nahimic running on his laptop.  Exiting that software prior to loading FS solved the issue for him.

If using a laptop, you may need to disable your built in mic on the laptop in order for your headset mic to be detected.

In your Windows "Power Options", ensure that "USB Selective Suspend Setting" is Disabled.

Question: I'm using Vox ATC and the FS2Crew Main Panel will not open.  The system check says everything is okay.

Answer:

The Panel Window Number sequencing in your panel.cfg is out order to the two entries VOX ATC adds.

Please open the 747's panel.cfg file with notepad.

SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 747-400\panel\panel.cfg

Change the two FS2Crew window entries number so the numbers are in correct numerical sequence.

It should look something like this.  Note the correct Window numbering and how they are in numerical sequence.

window15=Light Sensor
Window16=VoxATC////VoxATC
Window17=VoxATC Recent Comms////VoxATC
window18=FS2Crew Main Panel
window19=FS2Crew Secondary Panel
window20=FS2Crew Panel Switcher

When done, you will also need to update the tthee FS2Crew window sections at the "bottom" of the panel.cfg so the window numbers match up with the Windows Titles section.

If you have any problems, just send us a Support Ticket.

To avoid hitting the windows panel limit, it would be a good idea to comment out these two lines like this.

//window11=Zoomed Right Inboard DU
//window12=Zoomed Right Outboard DU

Question: I'm using Voice Control.  When I try to contact the ground crew, I see the correct phrase in the Green Bar, but there is no answer from the ground crew.

Answer: Your audio panel needs to be setup correct.  Press the FLT button on the Captain's side Audio panel to be able to talk to the ground crew.

Hi Bryan,

Is there a "touch and go" mode like in the 777 version? I looked for it in the manuals and found nothing about it. Thanks for this outstanding work.

1 hour ago, abdelsa said:

Hi Bryan,

Is there a "touch and go" mode like in the 777 version? I looked for it in the manuals and found nothing about it. Thanks for this outstanding work.

Yes, just select "Touch and Gos" for the Approach Type on the Approach Brief Page.

In the 747, patterns/circuits are usually done at Flaps 10 with no automation.

One way of doing a Circuit:

SWITCH OFF THE FD AND AUTO THROTTLES FOR TAKEOFF AND SWITCH ON YOUR FPV. Use FLAP 10 for convenience.

Aim for climb speed for V2 +10 Kts and leave flap at 10.

At 500 AGL start turn at 25 degrees’ angle of bank - maintaining bank angle until arriving at downwind heading and adjusting power to achieve and maintain Flap 10 + 10kts at around 10 degrees’ pitch.

Set MCP cursor at Flap 10 + 10 (PF: PF: Call: SET SPEED XXX knots) while climbing through 1000’ while levelling at 1500 ft. agl with an attitude of about 7.5 degrees’.  

MCP speed is purely a reminder figure rather than an A/T setting.

Downwind run after t/o & desc/appr checklists, keep eyes on runway and visual tracking, Don't stare at the MAP.Use  2 x DRIFT SPD Flap 10 + 10 and SET VREF in CDU.

Abeam landing threshold hit stopwatch (timing 45 sec ± sec/kts/w/c), turn base, (PF: CALL: GEAR DOWN FLAP 20) maintain level flight until spd Flap 20 +10, Call: SET SPEED XXX  (Flap 20+ 20Kts) arm the speed brake if full stop landing and aim for an attitude of 6 degrees nose up which should give you a nice 200/300 fpm descent and call for landing checklist to flaps.

If an ILS is available ensure the standby ADI ILS is selected because it gives you earlier glide slope indication than primary ADI/HSI glide slope.

Turning final, watch your noodle it will guide your turn to the runway just line it up you should be around 1000ft aal PF: Call: FLAP 30 and SELECT or Call: SET SPEED XXX  (Flap 30+ 5Kts) on the MCP. At 100’R the threshold will start to disappear under the nose, at 60’ R you’ll be over the threshold.

Cross the fence at VREF if no wind, 30’R flare 2 degrees’ and thrust idle and observe far end of runway for flare then lower nose gently when main gear on. and use reverse and manual braking if stopping. This gives you the practice at modulating the brakes as a skill rather than always carrying out autobrake use which can lead to loss of braking technique skills.

For touch and go don't arm the speed brake and don’t use reverse. On touch-down open up to 50-60% spool-up N1.

The training captain will set the stab trim to 6 units and set Flaps 20. When ready, set take-off thrust 90% and at VR the Training Captain call “ROTATE” which had already been set on the MCP. ROTATE to 15 degrees’ Climb at V2 +10, At 500 AGL start turn at 25 degrees’ angle of bank - maintaining bank angle until arriving at downwind heading and adjusting power to achieve and maintain Flap 10 + 10kts   Around 1000 feet AGL PF: Call: “Flap 10” and aim for Flaps 10 speed+ 10 knots and repeat the circuit.

Note at no stage was FD, AP or AT used. Minimum talk in the cockpit.

Wow! Great explanation Bryan!

We (At the Airline where I was flying the 747) used to use Flaps 5 when entering downwind (then the after takeoff and descent checklist) and flaps 10 abeam landing threshold, then APP checklist. The rest of the procedure almost the same, very standard.

Once again, thank you for your work. Outstanding product.

Hi mate,

just a a quick one. Did 2 flights last night and works perfectly. Just wanted to clarify something. When shutting down the engines and you selected GPU at the gate, should you wait until it’s connected before calling for shutdown procedure or is this what triggers it?

i waited a minute or so before calling for it and then shutting down my engines but I never got the clear to cut call. Just a check power call. They connected the GPU but my FO didn’t actually activate External power. Is this my job and I couldn’t see it in the manual.

thanks! 

Hi Josh,

Glad to hear it's working perfectly for you :-)

If the APU or GPU are on-line (illuminated), the FO should "put them on the busses" a few seconds after you call for the "Shutdown Procedure".  He'll press the Ext/APU gen button.

Are you positive the GPU was connected?  Next time physically confirm it.

Code logic is that the FO will say "Clear to Cut" or "Ready for Shutdown" (based on your Config Option) if APU Gen 1 is on bus or Ext Power 1 is on the bus after you call for the Shutdown procedure.

Cheers,

Bryan,  congratulations on the birth of yet another program-child!   I havent had the chance to install it yet - that's tomorrow,  but it looks just amazing.  

What's the difference between the Captain's set and the other version?    Is it just that the Captain's set includes RAAS?  Because i already have that with my 737NGX version.     I'm assuming the RAAS i already have is going to work with QOTSII  - is that correct?    Can you clarify please?  

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia 

Edited by mkear
Correcting spelling of name

14 minutes ago, mkear said:

Brian,  congratulations on the birth of yet another program-child!   I havent had the chance to install it yet - that's tomorrow,  but it looks just amazing.  

What's the difference between the Captain's set and the other version?    Is it just that the Captain's set includes RAAS?  Because i already have that with my 737NGX version.     I'm assuming the RAAS i already have is going to work with QOTSII  - is that correct?    Can you clarify please?  

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia 

There's only one difference:  Capt's Set has RAAS (the unlocked version that works with all planes), the other one doesn't.

If you already have the "unlocked" RAAS, then you don't need the Capt's Set.

Cheers,