Sign in to follow this  
shamrockflyer

NTDLL & P3D V4

Recommended Posts

Having had a crash free sim for several weeks today I experienced my first ntdll.dll error in over a month. I was over 6 hours into an 11 hour 30 minute flight from Hong Kong to Luxembourg when my sim just crashed without warning, in event viewer the typical cause was the ntdll. I was using the PMDG 747 and have the latest updates for it with the PFD pop up disabled (I don't use 2D pop up displays anyway only the FMC), however I still managed to get the error. 

I was wondering if it could be a custom load up state I created last night, which is more than likely it is as I haven't had a crash since creating that. 

Will the dreaded ntdll.dll error be fixed with LM's V4.1 update or will we have to endure the pain for ever? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

So, rest assured it was not the PMDG 747 that caused this crash.  Impossible. The 'custom load up state' could not have caused the crash too.  But the 747 could have crashed if the load state was wrong as in real life!

The NTDLL.dll crash was not caused by bad programming of P3Dv4 too.  But, if there is a problem with an add-on like one that may not be fully compatible with P3DV4 (just takes one), it could trigger the crash.  PMDG is fully compatible.  I'm pretty positive you can load up P3D with no add-ons installed and fly forever so P3Dv4 was not the cause.  What scenery was loading before the crash?  A clue. An add-on that seems to be compatible with P3DV4 but was not developed in accordance with the V4 SDK, can cause problems.  One of the two dll.xml's for P3D could have a corrupted module but, since you flew for 6 hours, I doubt it was a bad module.

The AVSIM CTD Guide provides all of the common causes and probable fixes for the dreaded ntdll.dll.  I see you have your i7 4770K OC'd to 4.0GHz.  I had the 4770K and it is a rotten CPU to OC.  Ran all kinds of stability tests and they all passed with flying colors but still got the ntdll.dll error.  Just a tiny too high or too low CPU voltage setting and the ntdll.dll will be triggered.  About the only thing that works is the optimal default setting in the BIOS (which will OC it to a stable 3.9GHz and fast enough for P3Dv4 or any other simulator).  You should not get anymore ntdll.dll crashes.

Best regards,

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

 

Thanks Jim I will investigate further. I have my 4770k on the auto OC mode as I had many issues with BSODs with my last OC I was running for over 3 years. It could either be Fly Tampa's Dubai or T2G Hong Kong, with the latter likely being the cause. I will remove all the sceneries I think may be causing the issue. Thanks for your support Jim! 

 

Ciaran 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

 I see you have your i7 4770K OC'd to 4.0GHz.  I had the 4770K and it is a rotten CPU to OC.  Ran all kinds of stability tests and they all passed with flying colors but still got the ntdll.dll error.  Just a tiny too high or too low CPU voltage setting and the ntdll.dll will be triggered.  About the only thing that works is the optimal default setting in the BIOS (which will OC it to a stable 3.9GHz and fast enough for P3Dv4 or any other simulator).  You should not get anymore ntdll.dll crashes.

I can second the OC being a probable issue.  I have the 4770K and I've run sooo many stress tests just have to it crash in the sim.  Seems to me Lockheed should sell P3D as a stress testing software.  Anyways I was getting a bunch of errors after trying to boost my OC some more and I've been playing with my Voltage and I think I've finally gotten it narrowed down.  I haven't had a crash in a few flights.  Even let the PMDG 777 fly for 14 hours in a hold over Memphis to check for errors.  I'll know more in a couple weeks when I get home and check some more.  But definetly check your Voltage settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shamrockflyer said:

Having had a crash free sim for several weeks today I experienced my first ntdll.dll error in over a month. I was over 6 hours into an 11 hour 30 minute flight from Hong Kong to Luxembourg when my sim just crashed without warning, in event viewer the typical cause was the ntdll. I was using the PMDG 747 and have the latest updates for it with the PFD pop up disabled (I don't use 2D pop up displays anyway only the FMC), however I still managed to get the error. 

I was wondering if it could be a custom load up state I created last night, which is more than likely it is as I haven't had a crash since creating that. 

Will the dreaded ntdll.dll error be fixed with LM's V4.1 update or will we have to endure the pain for ever? 

I've picked up on hints from the various forum's of 3rd party dev's that there is an issue with the way the latest P3DV4 handles memory. This is one of the main reasons of the slow autogen building loading issues users have seen. The ntdll.dll error when you research it typically points to a memory corruption issue. Yes I know an oc also can cause it but many users that ran v3 fine are now seeing this ntdll error in v4 with their hardware settings remaining the same. I've gathered from the bread crumbs left by some dev's under NDA that this will be likely addressed in v4.1. I've seen this CTD before over open ocean with the PMDG 747 about 5 or 6 hours in flight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, B777ER said:

I've picked up on hints from the various forum's of 3rd party dev's that there is an issue with the way the latest P3DV4 handles memory. This is one of the main reasons of the slow autogen building loading issues users have seen. The ntdll.dll error when you research it typically points to a memory corruption issue. Yes I know an oc also can cause it but many users that ran v3 fine are now seeing this ntdll error in v4 with their hardware settings remaining the same. I've gathered from the bread crumbs left by some dev's under NDA that this will be likely addressed in v4.1. I've seen this CTD before over open ocean with the PMDG 747 about 5 or 6 hours in flight.

That is what I thought it may be! I do have my cpu overclocked but as I said above it is overclocked with the automatic onboard overclock feature so I don't think that is the issue as I would have had many issues last week having flown over 20 hours with no issues. Its strange that one minute P3D can run flawlessly without any issue, but the next minute it can have a collection of issues making it almost unusable. 

Just as a precautionary measure I restored my system to about a week back from now, what ever went on with my system in the past 48 hours will hopefully have removed the possible cause to the ntdll error. I am hoping it is just an issue with P3D and it will be fixed with 4.1. I have never had any issue with any other program no matter how many times I used it and for how long than with P3D. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny I experienced the same error yesterday flying Shanghai-Luxembourg with the 747. At that time I was over Russia where I have absolutely no add-on sceneries.

I was told it might be the graphic card driver that needed an update which I did yesterday evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PLund said:

Funny I experienced the same error yesterday flying Shanghai-Luxembourg with the 747. At that time I was over Russia where I have absolutely no add-on sceneries.

I was told it might be the graphic card driver that needed an update which I did yesterday evening.

Interesting. I am holding over the Luxembourg area now and will be testing for as long as I can. If I can get over 12 hours without a crash then I will be happy. 

I too need to update my graphics drivers and the sim crashed over the Russia area too where I also have no addons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I experience the same error twice today. One 4 hours into a overnight flight and once 30 minutes after take off from Seattle.

One thing I have noticed is 1 second before the terrain.dll error there is a .net error also on Prepar3D.
I have now ran the CCleaner and reduced the autogen from high to medium.

If it works time will tell, but I really hope so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt the ntdll.dll error will go away no matter what any user does until v 4.1 is out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like my problem might have been solved by a friend of mine.

By turning off "Enable Scenario Error Reporting" and "Enable Content Error Reporting" seems to do the trick for me. Since I turned off "Enable Scenario Error Reporting" (the other wasn´t on) I have done 3 long haul flights across the pond without any problems.

They can be found in Options-> General-> Application.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully that fixes the problem.  Thanks for coming back and telling us how you got it resolved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this