Sign in to follow this  
MANSpotter99

Prepar3D v3 Crashing. Windows Update KB4038788 (Updated Information)

I also found that KB4040724 was causing the same issues.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Unfortunately I have to confirm Jude's findings. Also in my environment (P3D 3.4, Windows 10) after having updated with KB4040724, trying to start P3D is resulting in a CTD just after having loaded environment i.e. right before flight sim screen would show up.

Did you also note that it is looking like KB4038788, previously diabled from updating, now is showing as having been installed?! And even worse, after having updated with KB4040724 it is looking like KB4038788 can not be selectively deinstalled anymore.:sad:

So I will need to deinstall/hide KB4040724 and hope that Microsoft will come up with a respectively amended patch in a reasonable time . . .

Andreas Furger

Andreas Furger

And I can confirm this only affects P3Dv3 because I've now upgraded to P3Dv4 and no longer have any issues with all the latest updates in place.

Richard Åsberg

I run 2 PCs of similar configuration for my VR Tornado F3 simulator. System 1 crashed after the update was installed a few weeks ago and I had to block the update. I've just brought system 2 home to do some upgrading of the software and it loaded KB4038788 automatically. So far it is not showing the same problems and seems stable. It may be that MS has incorporated a fix.

I have the same load/crash Prepar3D v3   problem after windows 10 update to 1703 ...

and I live with the formerly proposed workaround:

Starting with loading  Prepar3D Default ( this should do without problems)

and then load my favorite.

This should work ... 

On 30/9/2017 at 3:00 PM, DeeGee said:

My hope was short lived. The crashes have resumed.

Same for me. After the update to KB4040724 it worked for a few days, but now I'm having the same issues again - crash and unknown error. No changes to software or hardware have been done.  Hmmmm. Let us hope LM and Microsoft find a workaround soon.

Jan

I had this issue which started on 16th Sept, which was when Windows update KB4038788 was installed.

The issue was FSX ran normally and allowed PMDG 738 to load as usual, but I could not load the 747 or 777 without an immediate stackhash error.

After checking here I had to revert my system back to that date [16th] and remove the update, as in early October the update was no longer being listed as being able to be removed.

Now everything is back to normal and I have frozen the update for 35 days or until the is a fix from Microsoft.

Thanks for the info guys on the update KB4038788 issue ,I was getting very worried about having to reinstall both Windows and FSX plus scenery etc.:biggrin:

Regards

Terry Hogan P3D V5.3 RTX3060 Intel 6700K 3 x 27" Monitors

http://downloads.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

14 hours ago, tesza said:

The issue was FSX ran normally and allowed PMDG 738 to load as usual, but I could not load the 747 or 777 without an immediate stackhash error.

This topic is about crashes with P3DV3.  If you are getting issues with a StackHash when running FSX, that's a separate issue.  The Windows Update does not affect FSX whatsoever.  Just P3DV3 users.  There's a solution to StackHash errors posted nearby in this forum.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Problem unfortunately seems not having been cured also with this weeks Windows update (KB4041676). After having installed, P3D 3.4 is resulting (at least on my system) in a CTD right upon start :sad:

Need to uninstall and deactivate this update too . . .

Andreas Furger

I

1 hour ago, furger said:

Problem unfortunately seems not having been cured also with this weeks Windows update (KB4041676). After having installed, P3D 3.4 is resulting (at least on my system) in a CTD right upon start :sad:

I understand where you see where Windows Update installed the KP and, when starting up P3Dv3.4, it crashes.  So, you uninstall the KB and P3D starts up?  Have your tried renaming your dll.xml to dll.xml.off in the same folder as your scenery.cfg.  There may be one in the same folder as your P3D.cfg as that use to be the default location.  Rename that one too if you see it and then restart P3D.  It should start up.  If so, then your problem is a module that was trying to load via the dll.xml.  For some reason a module is no longer compatible with P3Dv3.4 (probably the fsuipc.dll if you have that installed).

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

18 hours ago, furger said:

I too have the same problem with the latest windows security update (KB4041676).  Its the same exact problem as before...with the same symptoms....and the same end result (CTD just after the scenario loads) uninstalling and blocking the update seems to fix it.  Its becoming quite tedious fighting these windows updates every month.  I may have to move over to P3D V4 sooner than expected if this continues!

Zachary Kerr

"I fly a fake plane on my computer and I love it!"

The only thing which is making me at least a bit confident in that a solution will come is information like what Rob McCarthy from Lockheed Martin was mentioning October 9, 2017 on the P3D forums

Microsoft has identified the cause of the issue. Unfortunately this bug will still be present in the upcoming Fall Creator's update. We are continuing to work with them and will provide additional updates once we have more information on when a patch for Windows will be released containing this fix. We will do our best to expedite the process as much as possible. Thanks again for your continued updates and patience while this issue is resolved.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy

http://www.prepar3d.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&p=167979#p167979

Andreas Furger

Too bad for 3.4 users.  So far I have not had any crashes with P3DV4.1.  I hope Microsoft releases a fix for V3 users soon!

Submit News to AVSIM