Pete S

P3Dv4 stops when trying to select airport.

Recommended Posts

I just installed P3Dv4 into my newly built system, but for some reason I am unable to change airports. Every time I click  on select airport button P3D stops working with an error message that there was an error in P3D.exe file.

It does not give me any other info!

The sim seems to load correctly, I am able to change settings and fly the default airport that the sim starts with, but when I try to change airports it stops! 

This sim ran perfectly on my old system. Any ideas as to why this is happening? 

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Any addons or is it completely vanilla? Could be scenery related? After the crash, check the Windows event log (google it for specifics) there should be something in there you can go off.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, Neil.

It was a vanilla install., I just reinstalled it and installed MyTraffic6  via the xml addon method. P3D recognized it and added it, but I'm still unable to change airports. Another problem I'm having is, the Scenery and Add-ons is not showing up in the Options Menu and I don't see it in the scenery.cfg file.  So I'm sure it is a scenery config problem, but how do I resolve it? 

This problem is driving me nuts, and to add to my frustration,  I tried loging in the Prepar3d support forum, but all the checks to get me recognized drove me crazy and finally locked me out for the session!

There's got to be a simple explanation, but I'm not seeing it :bengong:

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Pete

try reinstalling the scenery section again from your P3DV4 install it will more than not tell you to repair it

John

Share this post


Link to post

Did you download via a download manager? Have you checked that what has downloaded/installed matches what is listed on the checksum on the Prepar3d website? If you go to the download section where there is a + next to the full install, open that and there is a list of everything that should be present. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, airservices said:

Hi Pete

try reinstalling the scenery section again from your P3DV4 install it will more than not tell you to repair it

John

Thanks John,

Did the reinstall of the scenery, still got same problem! P3D quits working when I click on change airports.

Share this post


Link to post

There has got to be a logical explanation why this anomaly keeps reoccurring! I've downloaded and reinstalled P3Dv4 several times now, but it still won't let me change airports!

I have built this new system specifically to run P3Dv4,  everything else is working great on it except P3Dv4!

I am thinking of Uninstalling P3D, purging every mention of P3D and Lockheed Martin from the system Registry manually. Maybe that will do it?

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hello Pete - sorry the below post is a bit lengthy but it is a straight lift from the Prepar3d forum until you can get your access sorted out - 

 

 

Edited by Poppet
Removed copy and paste and inserted Link

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks Ian, 

But this is mainly for people who are having problems installing P3D. I am not having that problem, P3Dv4 install and is running fine, as long as I don't try to change airport location, If i choose to fly the default Eglin AFB airport the sim runs without any problems. I am sure my problem lies somewhere with the Scenery cfg, because the Scenery library never opens in P3D.

That said, I will peruse the post closely and see if there is something in there that couds address my problems possibly caused  during install.

I appreciate you going to the trouble of posting this post from LM support site, and hopefully it will help.

Thanks again,

Pete S.

Share this post


Link to post

I finally got on the P3D support forum and reported my problem.

Hopefully they can figure it out! But I'm still open to suggestions from the GURUS on Avsim. :biggrin:

I'm not throwing in the towel!

Pete S.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Pete S said:

Thanks Ian, 

But this is mainly for people who are having problems installing P3D. I am not having that problem, P3Dv4 install and is running fine, as long as I don't try to change airport location, If i choose to fly the default Eglin AFB airport the sim runs without any problems. I am sure my problem lies somewhere with the Scenery cfg, because the Scenery library never opens in P3D.

That said, I will peruse the post closely and see if there is something in there that couds address my problems possibly caused  during install.

I appreciate you going to the trouble of posting this post from LM support site, and hopefully it will help.

Thanks again,

Pete S.

No problem Pete, I am sure you'll be in business soon. Yes, i was looking at it from the angle of a faulty install was causing the problem.

cheers

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Ian S said:

No problem Pete, I am sure you'll be in business soon.

Ian

I sure hope so, I'm completely out of ideas. P3D Support hasn't got back with me yet.

Today I uninstalled and reinstalled it again( for the umpteenth time).  P3D still shuts down when I try to "Change Airport".

I tried installing it to different HDD, still the same problem.

Then I decided to try it on my old Win 7 64 PC. Installed it and it's running fine. Go Figure.

The only problem is, I built this PC specifically to run P3Dv4. It has all the lates and the greatest I could afford see my sig below.

And BTW.  FSX-SE Is running fine on it, 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Pete S said:

I sure hope so, I'm completely out of ideas. P3D Support hasn't got back with me yet.

Today I uninstalled and reinstalled it again( for the umpteenth time).  P3D still shuts down when I try to "Change Airport".

I tried installing it to different HDD, still the same problem.

Then I decided to try it on my old Win 7 64 PC. Installed it and it's running fine. Go Figure.

The only problem is, I built this PC specifically to run P3Dv4. It has all the lates and the greatest I could afford see my sig below.

And BTW.  FSX-SE Is running fine on it, 

They are usually pretty good, maybe after the weekend you should a response. have you had it working on your new set-up before, what operating system is it, Windows 10 i presume if it is new?

Share this post


Link to post

Same here for me, Vanilla Install, only the default Airport loads. Aircraft doesnt matter.

Hope there are sloutions soon

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Ian S said:

They are usually pretty good, maybe after the weekend you should a response. have you had it working on your new set-up before, what operating system is it, Windows 10 i presume if it is new?

Ian,

Yes, Windows 10 Pro. I've had a couple of replies so far, but don't think they were fro P3D.  I've used up my Licence Activation allotment installing and reinstalling, so now I'll have to wait for a reset. 

This is really frustrating after having spent $1600+ building a new system for P3Dv4 and not being able to run it. It never ran on the new PC.  I tried installing it my old Win7 system and it's running fine, so it's not the install program.

1 hour ago, howy1 said:

Same here for me, Vanilla Install, only the default Airport loads. Aircraft doesnt matter.

Hope there are sloutions soon

Howy1,

Does your P3Dv4 quit when you click the Change airport Button?

When you load the default airport and click on Navigate in the pull down menu does it also quit immediately ?

Share this post


Link to post

It Quits when i click on the "Cancel" or "Ok" button in the Change Airport or Change Location Window.

I can select other Airports etc. but after clickin Cancel or ok it Quits immediately.

And at the default airport and clickin on Navigate in the pull down menu it does quit immediately.

 

Win7, Radeon R9390, i7-2600k @ 4,1 GHz

Share this post


Link to post

There seems to be a problem with the latest windows 10 update and P3D which may be the problem. There's a bit on the LM forums about it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I am currently running P3D v. 3.4 and have had no CTD problems since it was installed on my new Jetline System in Dec. 2016. Just about a week ago I started to have problems after the sim would begin to load the initially selected airport. It would get about 98% loaded and then that dreaded placard with a P3D.exec.. error presented itself and the sim would shutdown. I have made no changes in the main P3D cfg. file or anything else. I too am running Win 10 and suspect a windows update to be the possible culprit of this. This happened to me some years ago with FSX boxed edition--it too started to experience CTD after a windows update (Win7 I believe).

The P3D exec. error has been happening more often. I allowed a new P3D cfg. file to be made and it did not really help. I even did a system restore point back to 9-3-17. That seemed to help but then I believe the OS updated it self again as the same error was starting to show itself again. I was about to give up and purchase P3D v. 4.

My last flight in P3D v. 3.4--I started with default Eglin AFB and the default fighter jet. I then selected another airport location (using Orbx scenery) still with the default jet fighter; P3D did not crash and the newly selected airport loaded okay. I then selected an addon aircraft and was able to complete my flight. This whole thing is weird! I ran a Win10 events log read out and it does not tell me much except P3D exec. error

If this error is caused by a latest Win10 update, what can be done about this issue? Will LM issue a patch? Do we turn off auto updates?

Share this post


Link to post

I found the link below on the Crash to Desk Top forum--Report P3D v. 3.4 crashes to LM using the link--I copied the link as noted below from that forum--there is some helpful comments for those of us experiencing this P3D v. 3.4 and version 4 CTD. Apparently from the forum discussion it looks like the culprit is a MS security update for Win10 and Win 7 KB4038788.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=126667&start=30

Hope this helps and hope this copied link works.

Share this post


Link to post

The only problem I've had with P3d is the Carenado Mirage causes P3d to crash if it's the startup aircraft.  So my default flight is the A36. then I can change to any plane I want, including the Mirage.  The aircraft you start up with may be the cause of your problems.

John

Share this post


Link to post

So back to topic,

P3D V4 stops working after Airport selection, by pressing Cancel or ok, immediately to Desktop.

Only working is default Airport.

Aircraft doesnt matter, u can select anyone at default Airport, its working.

Win7 or Win 10

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/18/2017 at 6:12 AM, Lucevan said:

There seems to be a problem with the latest windows 10 update and P3D which may be the problem. There's a bit on the LM forums about it.

this  seems  to be  the logical  answer   since  off  all  the issues  arising  from the latest  win  10 update

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, pete_auau said:

this  seems  to be  the logical  answer   since  off  all  the issues  arising  from the latest  win  10 update

Hello all,

I agree with this theory, however mine was kind of strange how it happened. I could load up V4 perfectly fine with no issues until I installed some scenery I bought from FSDG and that’s when the crash to desktops started happening when loading a scenario after selecting an airport. The reason why I doubted the Windows Update being the cause was because a few weeks back I had a similar problem when I purchased some different scenery from FSDG. 

I wonder how long it will be before Lockheed Martin come up with a fix. My sim is currently unusable as nothing works. 

Thanks,

Jonathan

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Jonathan93102 said:

Hello all,

I agree with this theory, however mine was kind of strange how it happened. I could load up V4 perfectly fine with no issues until I installed some scenery I bought from FSDG and that’s when the crash to desktops started happening when loading a scenario after selecting an airport. The reason why I doubted the Windows Update being the cause was because a few weeks back I had a similar problem when I purchased some different scenery from FSDG. 

I wonder how long it will be before Lockheed Martin come up with a fix. My sim is currently unusable as nothing works. 

Thanks,

Jonathan

yep  agree   strange  issues  hope  that  they  do  solve  the  issues  with  you guys  soon

Share this post


Link to post

Ok, I have finally solved the original problem I've had, not being able to change airports in P3Dv4 on my brand new system, that I've just built..

In desperation I reinstalled my Windows 10 Pro, but I still had the same problem, I also noticed a problem with Nvidia driver install.

I called nVidia support and was told that my new Win10 install didn't have all of the updates, even though it shows all updates up to date. They sent me a link to force the updates, and it did the trick. It took a very long time, but it brought the OS up to date,  and now the fresh install of P3Dv4 is working as it should.

Here's the link:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=821403. in case someone might need it.

The only problem l have now is trying to get my Optane reinstalled and working, it took me a week to figure out how to do it, and looks like I'll have to do it all over again!

Life is good, but will be even better with the Optane running! :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now