Sign in to follow this  
urgeflaske

Looking for a new prop plane

Hi.

So i've decided to get another one in the hangar. I already own the Comanche and the C182 from A2A, but i think the steering is a little bit too sensitive? Like i barely touch the yoke and it changes direction.

Iam now looking for a plane that is not that sensitive.

Im thinking about the following planes:

*Just Flight  Arrow III

*Just Flight Warrior II

*A2A Cherokee 180

*MilViz 310R

What do you guys think i should go for?

I'd consider the Alabeo Mooney Ovation.  It's pretty speedy and supports GTN 750

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

7 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'd consider the Alabeo Mooney Ovation.  It's pretty speedy and supports GTN 750

He would be taking a huge step down going from A2A to Alabeo.

Matt Wilson

Use FSUIPC to get some slopes on your yoke input. You already have the best prop planes, don't go backwards. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

11 minutes ago, urgeflaske said:

Hi.

So i've decided to get another one in the hangar. I already own the Comanche and the C182 from A2A, but i think the steering is a little bit too sensitive? Like i barely touch the yoke and it changes direction.

Iam now looking for a plane that is not that sensitive.

Im thinking about the following planes:

*Just Flight  Arrow III

*Just Flight Warrior II

*A2A Cherokee 180

*MilViz 310R

What do you guys think i should go for?

Do u use FSUIPC to set up your controls?  I do for all my A2A aircraft and it works excellent to tame down the inputs.  By the way the A2A Cherokee is my favorite.

Matt Wilson

You won't find better Prop Planes than A2A.

If you feel they are to sensitive, apart from setting up your controls in FSUIPC, you can experiment with these values in the aircraft.cfg file:

[flight_tuning]
pitch_stability=1.000
roll_stability=1.000
yaw_stability=1.000
elevator_effectiveness=1.0
aileron_effectiveness=1.0
rudder_effectiveness=1.0

For example I have set

pitch_stability=3.000

for the A2A C182.

Just play around with these values and find what you like best with your controllers.

No need to get new aircraft just for that, if you already have the best...

A2A Cherokee--head and shoulders over the others.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Just now, vp49p3 said:

A2A Cherokee--head and shoulders over the others.

Also the A2A 172.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Those are all pretty good choices you're considering, but, here's a few things to bear in mind...

If you like the attention to detail which A2A aeroplanes have, then good as the JF PA-28 variants are (and they are indeed very good for the price), the A2A PA-28 is just that little bit more realistic in terms being a study of the real aeroplane. Of course the A2A one is more expensive, but that is kind of what you are paying for. However, it's worth noting that A2A are not far off releasing the P3D V4 version of AccuFeel, and that will help up the game a bit for any aeroplane you have for P3D.

So here's something else to consider. Whilst it is true that as Matt points out, Carenado/Alabeo are not exactly stellar choices when it comes to knocking out complex avionics, they do make pretty good simpler aeroplanes, and if you are looking for something with gentle handling and have that 'buy now' itch, then the Alabeo Piper PA-38 Tomahawk II would not be a bad choice, as it is primarily a trainer, so it enjoys gentle handling, and it's currently only a tenner (courtesy of Alabeo's present sale), so really, it's practically being given away, thus you'd not really be any worse off for trying it but it would still scratch that new toy itch, and, would leave you with a few quid left over to get that AccuFeel add-on for it when it comes out soon, which would of course then make that Tomahawk II even better.

But, as others have pointed out, those A2A aeroplanes you already have are among the best GA aeroplanes you can get for P3D, I would go so far as to say that their Commanche has a good claim to being the best aeroplane you can get for P3D above everything else, including all those fancy expensive airliner add-ons people buy and bang on about. So try a bit of control calibration too, as that might sort out your issues for free.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Fully agree with Alan and Bob. Likely what you are feeling could be easily taken care of with some controls calibration.

I use FSUIPC like Bob suggested. For most of my GA birds, slope for roll is 1, slope for pitch is 2, and slope for yaw is 4. With FSUIPC, positive slopes provide a little "flattening" of the joystick response around the zero point. Negative slopes accelerate the response around the zero point.

If you want a real treat, get the A2A T6-Texan. I have all of their GA's and keep finding myself taking this bird out for relaxing daily commutes.. Very Nice!!!

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

4 minutes ago, Pivot said:

If you want a real treat, get the A2A T6-Texan. I have all of their GA's and keep finding myself taking this bird out for relaxing daily commutes.. Very Nice!!!

And if you can land it in a decent crosswind, both wheel and three point, pat yourself on the back. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

And if you can land it in a decent crosswind, both wheel and three point, pat yourself on the back. 

This is true, and I have yet to have a landing in this bird that I didn't have some amount of Pucker Factor involved.. But I do have it working rather well, keep the tail high as long as possible. When it hits the ground she swings for the fences if you have any decent velocity still going on.  ;-)

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

Wow! Thank you everyone for your replies and help! I really appreciate it.

So far it looks like i will be tweaking my settings in FSUIPC and in the aircraft config-file and maybe i'll buy the Cherokee eventually.

Thanks again guys!

The Alabeo Mooney is a solid contender - it's not a huge step down.  It's also a lot cheaper than the a2a offerings.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |