signmanbob

Active Sky 2016 and the NGX in P3Dv4

Recommended Posts

Could someone give me the best settings for Active Sky 2016 that will work along with the NGX?

I am having horrid autopilot problems trying to fly with real world weather.  

I am using the registered version of FSUIPC, but I know that it still doesn't have and weather smoothing built in yet.

My autopilot will not follow the magenta line and just turn hard right or left, then disconnect. If I don't catch it, it will bank way too much. 

I got a comment from ATC on PIlotEdge because I was going off course.

I appreciate your help.

 

Thank you,

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I find 100% turbulence in Active Sky 16 is far too much for the way turbulence is modelled in FSX/P3D. Reducing the maximum to 25% for all types is far better. Apart from that no special settings are necessary for the NGX, or any other addon. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ditto, all the turbulence and shear settings are 20-30% in my configuration. No need for FSUIPC weather conditioning in P3D, which is much better than the old FSX in this regard but the turbulence simulation is still unrealistic.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much.  I thought it might be the case because I did an Avsim search, but seen a lot of older FSX suggestions using FSUIPC. 

I appreciate your help. It has been a wild ride the last few flights with the NGX and my experience on Pilotedge was the last straw :biggrin:

 

Thank you,

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/09/2017 at 5:14 PM, signmanbob said:

Could someone give me the best settings for Active Sky 2016 that will work along with the NGX?

I am having horrid autopilot problems trying to fly with real world weather.  

I am using the registered version of FSUIPC, but I know that it still doesn't have and weather smoothing built in yet.

My autopilot will not follow the magenta line and just turn hard right or left, then disconnect. If I don't catch it, it will bank way too much. 

I got a comment from ATC on PIlotEdge because I was going off course.

I appreciate your help.

 

Thank you,

Bob

I'm glad I came across this thread I'm having the same problem with the ngx in P3Dv4 with as2016. The autopilot will not follow magenta in cruise with very strong crosswinds. I will try the settings suggested in this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is wind smoothing now called "Weather Smoothing"?

In FSX wind smoothing is not necessary for weather engines using metar injection mode. One can inject 100knot winds in opposite directions, flying between them shows the change in direction is smoothed automatically by FSX.

Weather engines using the themes engine, which is deprecated in FSX, may be the reason wind smoothing was required back then, FSUIPC appears to alter the winds on the aircraft on a frame-by-frame basis for that situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These settings worked great for me last night.  I made a flight in the NGX that lasted about two and a half hours on Pilotedge, and it behaved perfectly.

Thank you so much for all your help.

 

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the following settings with a pretty realistic result.

Occasionally on the 737 I experience some abrupt pitch inputs with the AP ON but I'm convinced it is more an autopilot glitch than excessive turbulence. The same does not occur with the 777 or 747.

Cloud options:

- Maximum Cloud Turb 70%

Wind options:

- Maximum Wind Turbulence 60%

- Turbulence effect scale 55%

- Maximum windshear 30%

- Enhanced Turbulence: OFF

Maximum updraft AND downdraft rates at 500fpm

Random light chops turb percentage: 30%

 

Let me know what you think.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Meekg said:

I use the following settings with a pretty realistic result.

Occasionally on the 737 I experience some abrupt pitch inputs with the AP ON but I'm convinced it is more an autopilot glitch than excessive turbulence. The same does not occur with the 777 or 747.

Cloud options:

- Maximum Cloud Turb 70%

Wind options:

- Maximum Wind Turbulence 60%

- Turbulence effect scale 55%

- Maximum windshear 30%

- Enhanced Turbulence: OFF

Maximum updraft AND downdraft rates at 500fpm

Random light chops turb percentage: 30%

 

Let me know what you think.

 

70% Turbulence is what I had set when the NGX autopilot was misbehaving.  I have it down to 25% now and I actually still had to put a little input with CWS to keep it on the flight path at one point, but after it went back on course, I pushed LNAV and it stayed working perfectly, so I'm happy now with that setting now.

Knowing that almost everyone uses Active Sky and it is the weather engine for driving the PMDG weather radar, I would love to see some input from PMDG on these settings.  I'm sure that they have experimented with them extensively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, signmanbob said:

I would love to see some input from PMDG on these settings.

They added a discussion of weather simulation limitations in later products beginning with the 777 Introduction I believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now