Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

P3D v4 & the JS-41

This is a minimum change port from FSX to P3Dv4.1, if there are any extra features they're likely to be minor nice surprises rather than anything revolutionary like TrueGlass. The only notable change we are aware of so far is the Honeywell GNS-XLS has been binned and replaced with a default GPS unit with the option of Flight1 GTN750 integration in the virtual cockpit instead, if you own it.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Well.. this was the first in-depth addon I ever bought back in the FSX days, so I was very happy to see it making the jump to v4.. But now to read that the original FMS is being replaced with the standard GPS (!) totally kills it for me. Yes, I have the GTN, but I use it in so many GA planes.. In top tier commercial plane addons I just expect to see according avionics, without the Dev leaning back saying 'yeah, if you want proper nav equipment, use the GTN'. The XLS was a big source of satisfaction to master, and played a big part in making this aircraft unique, fun to operate and just be an addon to use if you're tired of the everyday nav equipment in other addons.

I feel pretty sad about that..

Out of curiosity, where will the weather radar be displayed, as its space is now taken by the GPS? 

• Upvote 2

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

The weather radar swapped position with the FMS:PZ8VyMG.jpg&key=a7787f294b0c6cb4121b6cac

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

without FMS?Or come it with, Options like the DC-6??? Then i dont by it i want fly on Vatsim IFR with the current AIRAC.. :-( :blink::bengong: 

best regards

Just as an alternate thought..... closer examination of every SID and STAR plate will allow for flight using raw data WITHOUT the FMS or GPS.  I know the habit is to go from waypoint to waypoint, however, the waypoint itself is defined by more than just Lat/Long.  Spend some time with the plates, and one soon sees that LOGAN (very commonly used in the UK) is not just a fixed point in space.  It happens to be 18.3 DME from the CLN VOR (CLACTON) on the 109 Radial (outbound always).  File appropriately, so that the controller knows what data set you are working with, and allest gut.

Some of the best fun I've had is flying Kestral or Kitty Hawk flights in and out of London Control in a C-47 (Manfred Jahn's superlative offering, with Jan's sublime VVC) or earlier in Rick Piper's HS-748.  Grand fun fitting in with all the heavy iron, and COMPLETELY POSSIBLE without having to request vectors!  Best of all was having Air Force One hold for my Kitty Hawk departure from the Royal Suite- Brilliant stuff!

Try it sometime, you might feel differently...

C

• Upvote 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I have flown Concorde, DC9 and 707 for countless hours with radio navigation (and INS). I have crossed the point several times with B377, L049 and DC6 using radio navigation and sextant.

All of this is true fun because it simulates the equipment of the time when the aircraft was in full service, and that's the point for me.

Additionally, as it has already been said.. No AIRAC updates with either provided choice.

• Upvote 2

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

I flew the JS41 in the FSX. In January, I switched to P3Dv4. I also willed to buy the Jetstream, but not with a GPS. There is no current AIRAC on the GTN750. It is a pity! I miss the old FMC

Best regards

Andi

Well, according to RSR's post "Exciting times ahead", we will have a lot of time to get used to the thought of not having the old FMS. The JS41 went down on their list of priorities.

Peter

Yes, it's very frustrating because on the beta test screenshots posted it seems ready to go (FMS aside); it probably just needs a small push over the finishing line.

The J41 seems to be something of a Cinderella at PMDG, always the bridesmaid and never the bride :laugh: In all seriousness it's been low development priority for years and it feels it's continuously bumped down the queue and the few resources it had reallocated, but then again I suppose we should be happy its not been cast aside entirely.

support1.jpg

5 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

Yes, it's very frustrating because on the beta test screenshots posted it seems ready to go (FMS aside); it probably just needs a small push over the finishing line.

The J41 seems to be something of a Cinderella at PMDG, always the bridesmaid and never the bride :laugh: In all seriousness it's been low development priority for years and it feels it's continuously bumped down the queue and the few resources it had reallocated, but then again I suppose we should be happy its not been cast aside entirely.

A likely scenario is the programmer that made the fms left the team, or is too busy currently, and they decided as a business decision to not spend the money paying a programmer to update it for p3dv4. I agree it is unfortunate to not have the fms that ruins it in my opinion. - David Lee

I was actually referring to the delayed release of the J41 for P3D mentioned by qqwertzde and which RSR discussed in his recent press release.

The reasons behind the GNS-XLS FMS removal are already known; it wasn't developed in-house by PMDG so they'd have to pay the original author to recompile it or develop their own from scratch.

• Upvote 1

support1.jpg

It is a shame though. That GPS500 (?) unit looks slightly out of place on the Jetstream 41 panel.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

15 hours ago, ckyliu said:

The J41 seems to be something of a Cinderella at PMDG

Well, Cinderella does get her man in the end, so don't be too disheartened.

Walter Meier

20 hours ago, ckyliu said:

I know these decisions are strictly business based for the J41 being bumped down over the years and I'd probably make the same decisions if forced to make that choice. I'm fine with the FMS being changed (avionics upgrade) and with the recent beta shots, was looking forward to finally be flying a small regional prop to get into the smaller airfields the 737 on up the product line can't make. As long as the J41 is still on the table I can wait a little longer as there is no other prop on the market that is in depth as a PMDG product. Only one prop tries to come close but it is 50 pax larger and works outside of the sim which causes issues. All the others are just eye candy with limited functionality.    

• Upvote 1