Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

Dynamic Lighting Performance & 4.1

20 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

EDIT: LR (XP11) is promising 60 FPS with everything maxed out when they complete their Vulkan/Mantle update ... bold commitment but I look forward to see if that materializes.

Did they say what sort of hardware would be required for this? If not, it's a pointless statement.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

49 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Did they say what sort of hardware would be required for this? If not, it's a pointless statement.

I'm guessing existing hardware.

Would be hard to prove it otherwise.

Richard Åsberg

5 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

I'm guessing existing hardware.

But that's just my point! There's such a massive difference in available CPUs, GPUs and motherboards (from bargain basement models to those you need a mortgage for) that without specifying the minimum you'd need for 60 FPS, there's no point even saying it.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

13 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

But that's just my point! There's such a massive difference in available CPUs, GPUs and motherboards (from bargain basement models to those you need a mortgage for) that without specifying the minimum you'd need for 60 FPS, there's no point even saying it.

Well...I was more thinking along the lines that it will probably be the best currently available hardware accessible to the normal user. I'm not talking super computers at a price that would get you 10 cars...

So if that turns out to be the case here it is a point saying it because you will then know you can achieve 60 FPS if you get the hardware for it...and that hardware is something you actually can get as an individual from your "normal" PC parts supplier as long as you have the money.

This in contrast to already existing software features requiring currently non-existent hardware to be fully enjoyed.

Richard Åsberg

8 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Ben uses a MacPro for his development work, so that's probably is base reference.  I have a MacPro also, but my Windows PCs are faster than my MacPro -- MacPro line does NOT get frequent hardware updates and as such it falls behind the performance curve rather quickly (a frustration I've voiced to Apple many times).

It maybe a pointless statement for YOU, but for many of us it carries some relevance and hope.  As I pointed out above, more realism requires more processing power, flight simulators are not coded for "today's" hardware.  If that is the experience you want and can't compromise, then I think you'll forever be frustrated with some of the mainstream flight simulators.

With that said, you may want to look at Aerofly 2 (iPACs) as it's focus IS to work at max settings on today's hardware.

Personally I have no problems with flight simulators being created with visuals that will work best on tomorrow's hardware, I wouldn't want to be cornered/limited to a specific feature set just because it can operate at 60 FPS today, that would seem very short sighted.

Cheers, Rob.

18 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

It maybe a pointless statement for YOU, but for many of us it carries some relevance and hope.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to get 60 FPS with all settings maxed out on my hardware (although I'd much prefer "smooth" rather than "fast"). However, you only need to look around these forums to see that differently specified systems can produce huge variations in performance. People say "I get 50 FPS, rock solid, all sliders to the right" but fail to mention that it's just at full HD on a PC which would probably only give half of that result if it was running at 4k. Just giving a target performance figure really means nothing unless you have some idea of the hardware required to achieve it.

LR states that the minimum system specs to run XP11 are:

CPU: Intel Core i3, i5, or i7 CPU with 2 or more cores, or AMD equivalent. (Dual-core CPUs slower than 3 GHz should try the demo before purchasing.)
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Video Card: a DirectX 11-capable video card from NVIDIA, AMD or Intel with at least 1 GB VRAM

So will LR's promise of 60 FPS apply to someone who has an i7-920 with 8GB of slow RAM and a GTX 650 running at QHD? Almost certainly not, even though it comfortably meets the minimum requirements to run XP11. An unqualified promise like that is a dangerous thing to give, particularly in the world of flight sims.

On 26/10/2017 at 0:09 PM, simbol said:

After exploring all the available SDK functions under PD3 version 4.1 (both Simconnect and PDK) there is nothing that would allow me to change Display settings profiles dinamycally.

I will submit a feature request directly to LM later this week.

Best Regards,

Simbol

As promised the feature request is now public on LM forums, if you would also like this feature to be available please go to this link and place your voice.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6317&t=127421

Best Regards,
Simbol

Done

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

That "panning around to recover fps with DL" suggestion didn't work for me....

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda