Sign in to follow this  
skylane182

Still problems with ASUS Motherboards?

Hello, 

I'am about to buy a new pc for flightsim, and I remember that some months ago there was a sticky topic about problems with recent ASUS Motherboards, and a recommendation  not to buy those for use with PMDG products.

As I can't find this topic anymore, are those problems solved?
I don't want to buy a motherboard which may cause problems with my most used aircraft addons... 

Would you recommend to buy MSI or ASUS ROG (Z270-Chipset)? 

best regards, Mathias

I'm happy with mine.  Asus maximus hero, works great.  Though you might take a look at the Z370 boards for better longevity (none of the new intel chips such as the 8700k will run on the Z270).

• Upvote 2

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

I've heard nothing but good things about Asus boards for the most part. Those issues have likely been fixed via a bios update anyways.

• Upvote 2

ROG Strix X299 gaming chugging happily along at 5.1 Ghz no hiccups with 777 or 737 to report here.(P3Dv4.1)

• Upvote 2

What? Not really sure where on earth you heard that from (or why even there would be a problem between a motherboard and a pmdg product for that matter...). Asus motheboards are among the best around. 

• Upvote 3

Seems like he's referencing the HPET setting thats available in many mfr's BIOS. I wouldn't attribute that to one board mfr. as many have that setting. 

• Upvote 1

Asus ROG Strix X299-E Gaming (LGA 2066 R4) running with no problems. P3Dv4, 737NGX,Majestic Dash8 and A2A.

• Upvote 1

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

ASUS PRIME Z270K and i7 7700K running on the most current BIOS without problems. 

• Upvote 1

Also a Prime Z270/i7700K and also no problems, other than the usual mistakes induced by yours truly.....

• Upvote 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

I have an Asus Z170-AR.  Rock solid and one of the best boards I've ever owned.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Slayer said:

Seems like he's referencing the HPET setting thats available in many mfr's BIOS. I wouldn't attribute that to one board mfr. as many have that setting. 

The number of times I've spotted oddities in the support queue and got an affirmative response when I asked if they were using an ASUS mobo is not insignificant. It's actually a pretty regular occurrence. Regardless, it's trailed off over the years, and the fix is usually pretty simple (update BIOS, replace battery).

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

On 10/30/2017 at 11:32 PM, skylane182 said:

Hello, 

I'am about to buy a new pc for flightsim, and I remember that some months ago there was a sticky topic about problems with recent ASUS Motherboards, and a recommendation  not to buy those for use with PMDG products.

As I can't find this topic anymore, are those problems solved?
I don't want to buy a motherboard which may cause problems with my most used aircraft addons... 

Would you recommend to buy MSI or ASUS ROG (Z270-Chipset)? 

Get yourself a 300er chipset and a Cannon lake CPU. The very best on the market.

Buy an Asrock or an Gigabyte. Asus is good as well but the hell avoid MSI. 

I had an X99A Mainboard from MSI and its so damm word not allowed that i have now words for it. BIOS, drivers and everything is extremely bad.

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

Thanks for all your replys, I decided to get a Coffee Lake i7-8700K now, with a Z370 chipset of course. So now I've three options for the Mobo that come into consideration:

- MSI Z370 Gaming M5: I like the design and the MSI UEFI, and it looks like it has a decent quality, but some people saying MSI has QC problems

- ASUS Z370 Maximus X Hero: Many people (and me too) have really good experience with ASUS, but I still fear PMDG-problems

- Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7: Has also some good reviews from those who own one, but it's kind of an outsider, as most people I know use ASUS or MSI...

best regards, Mathias

5 hours ago, skylane182 said:

- MSI Z370 Gaming M5: I like the design and the MSI UEFI, and it looks like it has a decent quality, but some people saying MSI has QC problems

I'm a big fan of MSI after I had issues with my ASUS computers a few years back.

Current build:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/halt1jShdMiXjYZw1

MSI board, and MSI GTX1080s on water with Corsair memory, and Samsung SSDs
(Took the picture before adding the custom cable set, balancing the fluids between the two loops, and properly setting the fan controller up - you can see it kinda off-kilter up by the SSDs.)

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers