Sign in to follow this  

Hi, 

When i see in GPU-Z that my gpu load is for example 99% that means that all the 4gb of my 4gb card is loaded ? 

Roi Ben

Not necessarily... the "GPU Load" defines the amount of processing the GPU is doing.  For memory load check the column labeled "Memory Used".

HTH,

Greg

18 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Not necessarily... the "GPU Load" defines the amount of processing the GPU is doing.  For memory load check the column labeled "Memory Used".

HTH,

Greg

Thanks Greg, i checked that and memory used is 3095 and i got 4gb. However the load is 100% with the dynamic lightning. So if thats the case and my memory is not fully used will it be any benefit to upgrade my gtx980 to 1080 for example ? or maybe my card fully loaded even if its not showing 4000 ? 

Roi Ben

12 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

Thanks Greg, i checked that and memory used is 3095 and i got 4gb. However the load is 100% with the dynamic lightning. So if thats the case and my memory is not fully used will it be any benefit to upgrade my gtx980 to 1080 for example ? or maybe my card fully loaded even if its not showing 4000 ? 

100% load means your card is working at 100%. That means FPS hit(low fps). It's not about memory. But yes, you will benefit to upgrade to 1080. About P3Dv4 memory usage, it's complicated- long story short, it's worth to upgrade.

P.S. Try MSI Afterburner, you are going to get a lot of more info

• Upvote 1

On 3 November 2017 at 10:52 PM, lodestar said:

100% load means your card is working at 100%. That means FPS hit(low fps). It's not about memory. But yes, you will benefit to upgrade to 1080. About P3Dv4 memory usage, it's complicated- long story short, it's worth to upgrade.

P.S. Try MSI Afterburner, you are going to get a lot of more info

Thanks ! Does better GPU has any benefit in terms of scenery load in P3DV4 ? Or its mainly CPU job ? 

Roi Ben

Scenery load time can be improved by using SSD instead of HDD. A better GPU will not improves loading time.  Also, if you already use a GTX980, I think you best move is a GTX1080ti instead of the 1080. What CPU are you using ?  If you are using a weak CPU, the upgrade to a better GPU will not be as good as you hope.

Mike

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

Also, if you already use a GTX980, I think you best move is a GTX1080ti instead of the 1080.

Why? If you look at the GPU shoot-out at Guru 3D (https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1080_gaming_x_plus_8g_review,35.html) you'll see that the latest 1080s are almost twice as fast as the 980. In their tests there was at least a 60% improvement in most games with some being over 80%. The 1080 Ti is definitely the best (at a big price premium) but the 1080 is a big improvement over the 980.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Be easier to make a good recommendation about a GPU if we knew more about the OP's system... specifically what type/size monitor he's using.

Greg

• Upvote 1

Well right now i use 1920x1080. but maybe in the future will move to 4k. my cpu is 5820K at 4.5.

Roi Ben

4 hours ago, roi1862 said:

but maybe in the future will move to 4k.

Then you should consider the 1080Ti.  If that's a bit too costly, the 1080 is excellent.  After I moved to P3Dv4 this summer I quickly realized my GTX 970 wasn't enough for the way I sim, so a 1080 is in my box now.  I don't plan on going to 4K anytime soon... maybe 2K though.

HTH,

Greg

6 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Then you should consider the 1080Ti.  If that's a bit too costly, the 1080 is excellent.  After I moved to P3Dv4 this summer I quickly realized my GTX 970 wasn't enough for the way I sim, so a 1080 is in my box now.  I don't plan on going to 4K anytime soon... maybe 2K though.

HTH,

Greg

So other then 4K there is not much reason to jump to the Ti ?

Roi Ben

That's somewhat subjective... for me, not planning on a 4K move, I doubt I'd have seen much difference between the 1080 and 1080Ti.  Perhaps a bit more eye candy (that ain't all bad!).  It's really up to you and how much you are willing to spend.

Greg

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:26 PM, vortex681 said:

Why? If you look at the GPU shoot-out at Guru 3D (https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1080_gaming_x_plus_8g_review,35.html) you'll see that the latest 1080s are almost twice as fast as the 980. In their tests there was at least a 60% improvement in most games with some being over 80%. The 1080 Ti is definitely the best (at a big price premium) but the 1080 is a big improvement over the 980.

Yes, I know the 1080 is a great card, but the GTX980 is already a good one too, and IMHO the performance difference with a 1080ti will be a better move from A 980 for future proof.  A new generation of cards is coming soon, so a better move will be to wait and see.

On 11/7/2017 at 4:49 AM, Mikelab6 said:

Yes, I know the 1080 is a great card, but the GTX980 is already a good one too, and IMHO the performance difference with a 1080ti will be a better move from A 980 for future proof.  A new generation of cards is coming soon, so a better move will be to wait and see.

So let me get it stright my GPU usage is 100% but the memory is not reaching the 4gb. What will the 1080ti with the 11gb will be better at ? 

Roi Ben

8 hours ago, roi1862 said:

So let me get it stright my GPU usage is 100% but the memory is not reaching the 4gb. What will the 1080ti with the 11gb will be better at ? 

...a 1080ti will be a better move from a 980 for future proof.

1. If you upgrade your monitor to a 4K in the future ....

2. If you want to use the tweak TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10  you will need more video RAM

3. If you want to use better antialiasing or Dynamic lights.

4. If LM is adding new visual effects to P3D that will put more load on your card ..

5. If you want to install some nice visual effects add ons (true rain effects or any other new one not already released...)

6. Etc.....

As I said, for future proof....  but go with what your available money can buy... or wait for the new card generation.

Hope this help !

Mike

• Upvote 3