Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

The case for FSX...

Noel

The best fly rods are still being made from tonkin cane. A quick Google search would have told you all about it. You would have been able to trace the maker of the rod you found and see when it was made, and if it was legit. All from your smart phone. Not as romantic, but there is a world of knowledge at your fingertips. 

Growing up, we had a set of encyclopedias that were printed in the 1860s. As well as many history reference books. Truly a wonderful collection. It took up an entire wall of our house. Now I live in a tiny apartment. No room for very many books. So my reference material is online. Not as romantic, but more practical. GPS is indeed my friend. And that is no stranger than a piece of paper telling me where to go. GPS can tell you many ways to go, not just one. When it tells the best way to go,  it takes into consideration local traffic.  Sure, going on a trip is one thing, but just trying to get to someplace you've never been to before (for work, for example), is something else. Not as romantic, but I just need to get there. 

I have never been able to spell worth a darn. Ah, Spellcheck.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

I dumped FSX the last time it crashed and have replaced it with V-3 so that I can fly aircraft that just will not work on a 64 bit platform.

It is on its own drive and It has been a while since I have used it but it is out of the way and I will keep it until I find a better use for the drive.

I now use V4.1 and I love the 64 bit platform.  VAS problems are now a thing of the past.  I have flown for over two hours over high density scenery without getting a OOM Crash.  

Scenery and aircraft are getting more detailed because the developers have more room to add them and now the only limit is the hit that their programs have on FPS.

Dale

How sterile Bob.  The Fly Fishing Shop I used to frequent in Denver when I lived there was across the street from the park.  If I wanted to try out a new rod the would but a reel and a line on it and I could go across the street to the park and 'test drive it.  Can you smart phone do that?

BTW...I've been meaning to ask.  Can your smart phone detect when your shoe laces at untied so you can be reminded to tie them so as not to trip over them?

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Hi Dale.  Long time no see....

I just bought a new computer since my old one crashed and was unrepairable.

I am using P3Dv3 for the Scenery and FSX for the airplane collection.

I am reinstalling all of the Orbx scenery on P3Dv3 and have only a single goto aircraft...my Lionheart Quest Kodiak on wheels and floats.

For FSX I am using default scenery and all the aircraft I can stuff into it.  Later I might start adding Orbx scenery to it also.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I like to choose the best way to go myself Bob.  The GPS doesn't allow you to plan routes ahead of time like a spread out paper map on the dining room table where you can plan your trip and anticipate what you're going to see.  I always avoid interstate highways and freeways when I can.  The more lanes a highway has the less local scenery you get to see.  I've driven Highway 50 across the country and only in some places does it merge with an interstate highway.  From Delta Utah all the way to Sacramento California it's a two lane highway with a 70-80 mile stretch between small towns.  That was my highway of choice going either east or west when I lived in Denver.  No GPS required.  There are road signs to tell me how far it is from town to town.

Both driving and flying I prefer navigating by pilotage.  By looking out the window.

I can understand the charm of having your hand held all the time via a smartphone.  But I'm a big boy now and like to find my own way without some electronic device holding my hand.  I realize there are times when such devices might be necessary.  Like VORs when flying.  But I haven't found the necessity for a GPS while driving and the few times I did use it I found it more annoying than helpful.

By the same token I never turn on my car radio.  I find it annoying.  I like my quiet time and there are precious few laces you can find quiet anymore except while driving by myself. 

Perhaps you can answer a question for me Bob.  Now that smart phones have replaced public telephones and rid public places of phone booths where does Clark Kent go now to change into his Superman suit?

Noel 

3 hours ago, birdguy said:

Perhaps you can answer a question for me Bob.  Now that smart phones have replaced public telephones and rid public places of phone booths where does Clark Kent go now to change into his Superman suit? 

That was a sight gag in one of the Superman movies. I don't remember which one, but when he looked for a phone booth, all he could find was one of the outside phones mounted on a short pole. The very few remaining in my town don't work as they've been vandalized to the point that the owners just quit paying to fix them.

ytmLu.png

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 23/11/2017 at 4:56 PM, birdguy said:

.....For FSX I am using default scenery and all the aircraft I can stuff into it.  .....

Hey Noel,

In case you decide to fly elsewhere other than the US in the default FSX sim, have you considered looking at Freemesh X to give a better representation of topography - places are more recognisable due to the terrain mesh even if the landclass and textures are still default. Just a thought, sir.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Pretty funny, Noel.

But, I get it. Your lifestyle is just the opposite of mine. You have a lot more time than I do.

And, as someone who has, for example, built several acoustic guitars from scratch (as in bought wood, cut it up, and made guitars), I am totally able to do things for myself. Yet there are things that tools can do better than I can, be they hand tools or electronic gadgets. 

And sure you can set up a route on GPS ahead of time. And just because it gives you a certain route, doesn't mean you have to follow it to the letter. GPS has gotten me out of several jams and tight spots. Warned me of accidents, and told me when my wife will arrive home after a business trip. 

Oh, and I wear slip-on shoes. So you're right, my phone can't tell me if my shoes are untied.

• Upvote 1

Bob

I wear moccasins Bob.  And yes, I do have a lot of free time.  I've been retired for over 20 years and so day is Saturday.  The only problem with retirement is there isn't enough time to do everything you had planned to do.

Noel

• Upvote 1

On 27/11/2017 at 5:16 AM, birdguy said:

The only problem with retirement is there isn't enough time to do everything you had planned to do.

Yesssss!

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

Noel.

The thing is, I'm not retired, and probably never will be. My phone is a tool. Like any tool, I use it to my advantage. When I travel, I might use the GPS, or I might not. I see the countryside. But what's more, I can read up on what's around me. Instantly, on my phone. I can learn about the history of someplace I've stopped. I can learn about it, see it, and take pictures of it. I can keep up with the latest news (be informed) and stay in touch with friends instantly. It's not about being too fast paced, or instant gratification. It's about using time wisely, and being aware of what's around me. Yes, I only have to look to see my surroundings, but there is more than just what I see.

I have nothing against living simply.  I run default FSX. Well except for real world repaints, and Edit Voicepak. At one time, I had created several airports and flight plans. I even made buildings with Sketchup. All mostly gone now. I might have a backup somewhere. 

Bob

I prefer simplicity and doing tings for myself.

I did not grow up with technology.  When I was at home going to school we had a set of the Encyclopedia Britannica.  Every time my brother and I asked a question the answer was always, "Look it up!"  I have dictionary by my table so when I watch TV and hear a word I don't recognize I look it up.  My daughter says I can get a smart-phone app for that if I had a smart phone.  But why?  

When I learned to fly it was in a Luscombe 8E on floats.  No avionics.  Not even a starter.  You had to stand on the right float to prop the engine.  You navigated with a chart on you lap and looking around for Landmarks.  Later when I transitioned to a Cessna 140 taildragger with no avionics I had to circle a controlled airport and wait for light signals from the tower to enter the pattern and land.  It was fun.

I was 14 years old before I saw my first TV set in a radio shop window.

When I was in my 20s I did my own car tune-ups.  Take the spark plugs to the auto shop to have them sand blasted.  Then take them home and gap them.  Change the points in the distributor.  Install a new carburetor kit.  Then set the timing with a timing light and a chalk mark on the fan belt.  

At the time I probably couldn't spell microwave and even though we have one in the house now I never use it.  One of my hobbies is cooking and to my mind a microwave heats things up but it doesn't cook them.

A lot of old timers are like me.  I have a friend in his 90s.  He ordered a new Toyota Camry and insisted on a manual transmission.  He had to wait two months for delivery.  But he was more comfortable with that.

I don't want everything done for me.  I like to do things for myself.   I can read about places I've been or am about to go in books.  Don't laugh, but I still have a library card. I hope those don't become obsolete before I breathe my last breath. 

I hear that now you can use an app (I hate that word) to order groceries and have them delivered to your house.  I kinda like pushing a cart through a super-market, talking to people in the checkout line, and bantering with the checkout lady.  They all know me and there's a friendly people to people atmosphere about it.

I like to stop and smell the roses.  I don't need a smart phone app to tell what they smell like.

Noel

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, birdguy said:

At the time I probably couldn't spell microwave and even though we have one in the house now I never use it.  One of my hobbies is cooking and to my mind a microwave heats things up but it doesn't cook them.

<snipped for brevity>

I don't want everything done for me.  I like to do things for myself.   I can read about places I've been or am about to go in books.  Don't laugh, but I still have a library card. I hope those don't become obsolete before I breathe my last breath.   

Noel, I can cook an excellent meatloaf in my microwave in about 12 minutes, versus burning gas in my oven for 45 minutes. To me both the time and the energy savings are worth the bother. On the other hand, I cannot cook spaghetti sauce or lamb curry in the microwave!

I too have a library card, and I'm not afraid to use it! Most of the time though I buy new books from Amazon and order the "Library Binding" versions. When I've devoured them completely, I take them to the local public library and donate them.

Mostly I will only buy books that will serve the purpose of "filling in the missing volumes" of a series. These days the library's budget precludes the luxury of them doing so. The first batch I donated about ten years ago wound up in the library's store and were sold for literally "pennies on the dollar!" I was so upset that I had a very polite but long conversation with the head librarian and explained that if they were going to just give them away, I'd stop donating entirely. I said I didn't bother to order used books, paperbacks or normal binding, but spent the extra coin to get the sturdier "Library" bindings.

I also told her that one of the reasons for donating missing volumes was because I have no room to store them myself. My own library consists of nearly one-thousand volumes currently. I have no more room! By letting them store them I can then re-read the entire series whenever I take a fancy to. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Noel,

I didn't grow up with technology, either. I'm not sure what makes you think I don't do anything for myself. I can rebuild a carburetor as well as the engine it sits on. I also have a library card. The problem with paper books and maps is that we are running out of paper. They take up lots of space and are more expensive. Besides, I have world of information in my pocket, if I need it. It has been possible to order groceries by phone for decades. 

Though I'm glad to give you an opportunity to reminisce. 

Bob

I collect books Fr. Bill.  I grew up in house full of books.  The shelves were filled and we had books stacked on the floor.  My parents were avid book readers.

I do a lot of cooking in my crock pot.  Chili, spaghetti sauce, clam chowder, Mulligatawny soup.  I also have cooked meat load in my crock pot.

For those who love rare roast beef here's the way to do it.

Take the roast out of the fridge 2 hours before cooking and season it.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Brown the roast on all sides in a skillet in a dash of olive oil and a couple pats of butter.  Place in oven.  When meat thermometer reaches 125 degrees turn oven temp down to 250 degrees and continue roasting untl the meat thermometer reaches 135 degrees.  Take the roast out, loosely cover with foil, and let stand for 10-15 minutes.

Noel