Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

any addon that adds ice/rain to runways?

I'm using v4.1

I'm looking for an addon that would reduce your breaking when there is snow/rain on the runways, etc?

Anything like that?

Also, any program that adds ground icing/de-icing to your plane etc? I know FSCaptain does but it's a fuss to use, I'm looking for a standalone product.

Ciao!

I would like to know this as well.  Something I have been wondering about for a while. 

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

REX has an option to add wet runway reflections to default airports in the Texture Direct Enhanced Edition. It seems to be up to the developers as to whether or not they want to implement it. As for de-icing, GSX has a de-icing truck that has a spray effect, although I don't think it does anything to actually prevent ice buildup, just for visual effects as far as I know.

FSPS SimPhysics?  not sure if P3Dv4 is supported but says 3.0 or higher.

Edit: Just checked their site - seems this and their Frictionality product is not updated to P3Dv4.

Regards.

Edited by Simjockey
New info.

Paul Davies.

friction (braking and rolling)  coefficients are actually dynamically modelled internally by FSX-P3D, for snow, rain and ice contamination. The trouble is that the original default microsoft numbers applied are not very noticeable when it comes to contamination being present on the surface. I created my own version of sim1.dll and whilst testing the numbers for eg snow I was able to make it as slick as oil by reducing the braking/sliding ratio

The issue LM have is that to change the longstanding default numbers would break the ground handling characteristics of so many addons, I dont feel there is an appetite for such a change. 

5 minutes ago, kand said:

friction (braking and rolling)  coefficients are actually dynamically modelled internally by FSX-P3D, for snow, rain and ice contamination. The trouble is that the original default microsoft numbers applied are not very noticeable when it comes to contamination being present on the surface. I created my own version of sim1.dll and whilst testing the numbers for eg snow I was able to make it as slick as oil by reducing the braking/sliding ratio

The issue LM have is that to change the longstanding default numbers would break the ground handling characteristics of so many addons, I dont feel there is an appetite for such a change. 

You can use SimConnect to implement such thing without breaking other Add-on's :wink:

Simbol

1 hour ago, kand said:

Makes sense. I've never noticed any difference in handling

3 hours ago, VFRHawk said:

Doesn't FSCaptain simulate something like this?

VFRhawk

It did the last time I looked.

6 hours ago, simbol said:

You can use SimConnect to implement such thing without breaking other Add-on's :wink:

Simbol

Hi Simbol

I am intrigued, but how would this work? If you alter the friction coefficients dynamically using simconnect, it would surely still affect the airfile ground handling just like altering sim1 directly? I am no expert though! 

31 minutes ago, briansommers said:

yes FSCaptain does, but that program is way to much fuss.

Hi Brian,

did you try to get help on the FSCaptain forum?

Peter

13 minutes ago, kand said:

Hi Simbol

I am intrigued, but how would this work? If you alter the friction coefficients dynamically using simconnect, it would surely still affect the airfile ground handling just like altering sim1 directly? I am no expert though! 

You can alter the handling of the plane physics via SimConnet without touching the aircraft configuration parameters.

This way you can detect when the runway have ice or watter and simulate slow braking and other things while the user is on the runway, but since you haven't changed the original aircraft parameters, or the simulator original libraries etc, everything will still work with other add-on's, etc.

There are add-on's doing this already, ACU feel is an example.

Simbol 

• Upvote 1

On 11/22/2017 at 3:43 PM, qqwertzde said:

Hi Brian,

did you try to get help on the FSCaptain forum?

Peter

Yes and no. 

I found someone else that was having a similar problem. 

I tried several things but still no go. The most frustrating part was that it seemed intermittent. 

Once I got it to work, then the next time not, and finally I have a very short tolerance for fuss.. it's better to just fly without it.

Ciao!

On 11/21/2017 at 5:39 AM, briansommers said:

I'm looking for a standalone product.

The best place to implement your desire is with the aircraft developer and not external ... they have full control over how the aircraft will respond to weather conditions both in the air and on the ground.  Every aircraft will be different in how it brakes, it's rolling resistance, reverse thrust (critical for bad weather), and then of course aircraft load/weight ... all these will contribute to traction and stopping efficiency.

Trying to accomplish this via a Standalone product will be hit and miss and problematic and would NOT be accurate for "any" aircraft used and may even conflict with any existing aircraft that do employ (coded) their own system for slowing the aircraft.

It's best to petition the aircraft developers to come up with a solution as this is really "their" area of expertise.

Cheers, Rob.