Sign in to follow this  
Garbs

How to get AI Airliner Traffic in FSW!

The skies in FSW have been missing airliner traffic. So, until there is a compatible add-on, I've been trying to get some AI add-ons to function. Just Flight's TrafficX works with some simple modifications. The models are FSX compatible so they work in FSW, however the schedules are not realistic - but at least the skies are alive! If you're interested in the method, I've made a short YouTube tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_HjL_8iPbs&t=2s

Hope someone finds this useful, it makes my flying more enjoyable!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Garbs said:

The skies in FSW have been missing airliner traffic. So, until there is a compatible add-on, I've been trying to get some AI add-ons to function. Just Flight's TrafficX works with some simple modifications. The models are FSX compatible so they work in FSW, however the schedules are not realistic - but at least the skies are alive! If you're interested in the method, I've made a short YouTube tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_HjL_8iPbs&t=2s

Hope someone finds this useful, it makes my flying more enjoyable!

What about performance? Did you try on big airports (KLAX, KSFO, KJFK...)?

Anyway, nice find!

I have traffic 360 working in FSW have for sometime and flightbeam KIAD KDEN KSFO HD, screenshots on steam.

Also on DTG forum.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 hours ago, rjfry said:

I have traffic 360 working in FSW have for sometime and flightbeam KIAD KDEN KSFO HD, screenshots on steam.

Also on DTG forum.

How's the performance?

Performance well that something that's not easy to answer due to the fact were porting 32bit apps into a 64bit platform, needless to say there are issue`s with scenery and I have all the sliders on ultra traffic on max has an affect on FPS, but until we get an Ai program optimised for 64bt and FSW it not fair to judge.

I have thrown ORBX all of the OLC in to FSW and the airports and I'm still enjoying tweaking as with all flight sims finding out what you can`t is important as finding out what you can do. And yes I do have the CTD now and again due to something I have tweaked but I soon recover and have not reinstalled FSW since the day of release, I do have backup config files and sim objects my airoplanes folder must have at least over a 100 aircraft each with 10 or more paints. 

PS. my spec`s below high end PC OC.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

There is a significant reduction in framerates in complex airports depending on traffic density. Examples of fps at the requested default airports are given below. This was using the default Cherokee 180 with Fair weather at midday. Stuttering was only really noticeable at JFK with full traffic. YMMV :biggrin:

KLAX:

Minimum Traffic: 50fps

Medium Traffic: 37fps
Highest Traffic: 35fps

KFSO:

Minimum Traffic: 55fps
Medium Traffic: 43fps
Highest Traffic: 30fps

KJFK:

Minimum Traffic: 40fps
Medium Traffic: 24fps
Highest Traffic: 17fps.

Hope this helps! 

• Upvote 1

My theory regarding AI and extreme fps drop lies in the fact that , currently, the few default aircrafts alone will cause the frame drop.

Some people have suggested that these aircrafts have very high res textures, thus the frame drop.

I'd like to see how the default aircrafts can be removed. Then adding these new AI might tells us something more interesting.

On 11/23/2017 at 9:23 AM, flyforever said:

I'd like to see how the default aircrafts can be removed.

Easy peasy, just go to FSW/scenery/world/scenery and rename traffic_aircraft.bgl to *.OFF

• Upvote 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

13 minutes ago, Travelling_Wilbury said:

Easy peasy, just go to FSW/scenery/world/scenery and rename traffic_aircraft.bgl to *.OFF

that is one outstanding tip!  Especially for testing things.

• Upvote 1

I disabled both traffic_aircraft.bgl and TrafficX.bgl but still see default GA aircraft as AI traffic. Airliners were gone but this didn't completely disable AI traffic. Any Ideas?

• Upvote 1

I am not getting any AI with trafficx. Also noticed that your trafficx.bgl is over 200k, while mine is 22k.

I wonder why.

The 200MBTrafficX.bgl was generated using the 'Compile TrafficX Flight Plans' in the Traffic Control Centre. The original TrafficX.bgl installed by the program was 20MB. 

Ok, I did use the "compile" tool with all the check marks on, yet no increase in file size. The tool appears to work well, so I am not sure what might be wrong. Still, at 20 I should still see some AI.

From your video, there are three changes:

FSW.cfg

scenery

simobjects

I've just tried compiling traffic again and it generated an 82MB file. I placed this in the scenery/World/scenery folder and it produced airline traffic. If FSW is reading the .bgl it should show the 'Building New Scenery' progress bar during start-up. Provided the aircraft model files are in SimObjects and FSW.cfg is pointed towards them, then it should work.

I looked at the log file and the compile is "unable to located parking spaces", etc. Again, I've been using MyTraffic, so I am not sure what is going on with TrafficX. 

Oh well.