Sign in to follow this  
Matthew James de Bohun

Rex present Skyforce.

8 hours ago, dmiannay said:

Looks very promising... spectacular visuals.  My only issue is that the majority of examples are low level flight.  Since I do mostly commercial flights, it would be nice to see more examples (video) of how all these effects look from 30+ thousand feet.

We will try to get more shots out, but I can promise that is one area of serious testing.  Especially, with the storms. ;)

• Upvote 2

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

7 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Ahh. I thought by the title of this thread that it had been released. This has been in development for the past two years! As a matter of interest, the entire marketing hype revolves around the term 3D clouds, I have not read any post from anyone getting excited at the prospect of this. I hope, as it is being marketed as 3D clouds, that that's exactly what is on offer.

Thanks for bringing this up.  This is really the core of Sky Force.  http://rexskyforce.com/models.html

This is NOT just textures.  This is a whole redo of the Cloud modeling system so that we can get the RIGHT kind of clouds in the system than were before.  Now you can get a real feel of flight with the thunderstorms that reach above maximum flight level.

• Upvote 3

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

One question for you Reed, what weather engine would be the best to use with Sky Force? 

2 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

One question for you Reed, what weather engine would be the best to use with Sky Force? 

You know the answer to that:)

I'd rather ask what the REX weather engine offers that AS16 does not.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Well what can you say 3 years and "available soon" soon can mean anything with addons...anything! 1 week to 1+years

It looks stunning and could be the new weather engine we all use. (most of us)

Remember we (most of us) all used REX weather at one time , then OPUS then AS.

I hope once you set up the setting you like its a start and forget. I want it to inject whatever is needed without having to go into it everytime and set it up.

It will have to work with PMDG weather WX and FSL.

It says it will give us a gain in FPS over what we use now. Sounds great.

It all sounds and looks great but we will have to wait and see what their idea of "soon" is.

It also will have to be ground breaking for most of us to switch over to it. But if it is and as good as it looks then bring it on.

It will NOT be a year and probably less than a week or two. ;)

• Upvote 5

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

2 minutes ago, ErichB said:

+1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

2 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Weather architect?

My take will be that REX is just one of few that I haven't had any issue with. I am sure they can produce something that will give us one stop shop for all our wx needs. I am using REX for years and so far I am happy. But of course there is always room for improvements.

Let's wait and see....I am just tired and frustrated with half/finished products advertised like big hoopla and lots of issues.

Alex 

6 hours ago, Mik75 said:

Well, to be absolutely honest, I’m not really that impressed. We had these sharp and clear “pictures of clouds” in the very first versions of REX textures. And when flying through or above them (something which is not shown in this video at all), it looked not that convincing anymore. So they came up with soft clouds, which offered the better overall experience, but lacked some variety. So I’m really looking forward to reading first user opinions and seeing first user videos of this product, once it gets released. 

I would strongly recommend that you read this section of the website:  http://rexskyforce.com/models.html

This is not another texture package alone.  We have really upped the ante on what this product does.  The 3D Cloud models are what makes the experience more real.  In addition, we have doubled how many textures can be used on the cloud model to give it more realism.  When I have done my test flights and see the wisps of clouds go past now and a mist feeling when climbing through the bases.  It is freaking awesome.

• Upvote 4

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

1 minute ago, rstough said:

I would strongly recommend that you read this section of the website:  http://rexskyforce.com/models.html

This is not another texture package alone.  We have really upped the ante on what this product does.  The 3D Cloud models are what makes the experience more real.  In addition, we have doubled how many textures can be used on the cloud model to give it more realism.  When I have done my test flights and see the wisps of clouds go past now and a mist feeling when climbing through the bases.  It is freaking awesome.

Well, if it is as you said...will wait couple of weeks....:ha:

Alex 

6 hours ago, ErichB said:

Amazing visuals have to be coupled with an amazing weather engine - otherwise it's just a pretty picture.  So far I've heard nothing about integration with AS16 - I assume they will be using their own weather engine.  But nothing has really been said in this regard.

We state on our website that we support all 3rd party weather add-ons, but we recommend to get the full effect of the cloud structures to use Sky Force as a whole.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

44 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

Weather architect?

What is that? 

The beauty with AS16, is it determines everything for you.  It reads the METAR, it selects the appropriate clouds.  Done. 

I don't what to have to select cloud types and build weather themes.  The weather engine must be smart enough to select  anything from cirrus to tornados, as per the METAR.  It must do everything for me based on METAR information.  This is what is seems to be positioning itself to do and I hope it does just that.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, rstough said:

I gotta understand what does "3D Clouds" really means... so far all the other promised their clouds are 3D but in reality they are 2D that will turn around as you turn around them, The billboard effect. So now its real 3D ? You can fly to the cloud other side ? 

Roi Ben

4 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

I went back to using REX for a number of reasons a month ago.  It's more flexible for my needs and the clouds look better...more realistic and more ominous in storms and rain showers.  I've always liked that about REX.  I think AS16/ASCA has a whole lot of promise and expect it to keep improving.  I'm going to try to keep owning both.

Just wait until you see the weather with Sky Force.  With the new cloud models - AH!.  

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

1 minute ago, rstough said:

We state on our website that we support all 3rd party weather add-ons, but we recommend to get the full effect of the cloud structures to use Sky Force as a whole.

Thanks for your input here.

And while you are at it: Does the weather engine of Skyforce include historical weather or can it for example use the historical weather delivered by AS?

• Upvote 1