Sign in to follow this  
Wizball

Carenado PC12 with GTN 750 support

I have the version for XP10, and unfortunately there does not seem to be an upgrade path for the XP 11 version. Pretty annoyed at that. But I am very happy to see the GTN750 supported.I have their DO-228 and they did a good job on that.

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

I am on 3.2 of the older version. I opened a ticket to ask for a discount. Would be nice to get one. 

Hans

It has not been their policy with other aircraft and they have taken a bit of flak for it. Having seen some comments in their support forum, it does not seem that this version is much better than the old one. Some graphical updates, but the systems are still pretty far off the mark. I am interested in upgrading (but only slightly), but they really should fix some of the technical stuff. But I am spoilt - I flew the STMA version!

I am certainly not going to buy the full thing again.

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

32 minutes ago, kneighbour said:

I flew the STMA version!

Is it good? I didn't find the STMA planes recently to be very convincing. 

Hans

23 minutes ago, hjsmuc said:

Is it good? I didn't find the STMA planes recently to be very convincing. 

It was excellent. Spot on, in fact. I believe it was used to train on the real aircraft. It actually came with the full PIM. The systems were excellent- but the graphics were average at best. I was actually on their beta test team for a while as I flew it so much in FSE. Probably thousands of hours on it. But it has not been moved over to XP 11 and from what I can tell from the STMA site, there seems no activity in that area. Even the XP10 version got out of sync in the end. Beta mode was weird and excessive wind effects. I stopped flying it.

The Carenado one had very little resemblance to the STMA PC-12. Very little system depth, the usual dearth of manuals, different flight model. But excellent graphics. Unreadable EHSI (which you use all the time) and in any case it was very basic, not at all like the real thing. It felt like every other Carenado aircraft, but with a different title, if I can put it that way. So you flew the STMA one if you wanted to fly a PC-12, you flew the Carenado one if you wanted graphics.

The current version seems a lot better. They seem to have modelled the systems to the next level, which is much appreciated. Certainly not up the STMA standards, but it seems like a fair effort. No-one expects Carendao aircraft to be study level, after all. I am still wondering if I want to buy the thing again - I never flew the XP 10 version at all, so am pretty hesitant to spend $50 yet again. I am loving their DO-228, so I will probably stay with that. They did a good job on that plane!

In the best of all worlds, STMA would hire a graphics designer and bring out an XP 11 version.

Great summary, thanks. I didn't like the graphics of STMA but then I don't like the systems of Carenado either. I may reconsider buying this thing again because I like the plane very much. But then, after all we seem to anyway have too many planes to master, don't we? :blink: 

Hans

Just now, hjsmuc said:

But then, after all we seem to anyway have too many planes to master, don't we? :blink: 

Yes, good point. I flew in FSE a LOT. It was almost a second job there at one point. I did the same milk run practically every night. I fly around Brisbane, which is where I live, so I have actually been to a lot of the areas I fly to. I loved it. I got so good through repetition I could fly the PC-12 spot on the numbers all the time. Pretty much how I imagine it is in RL.

Since the demise of the PC-12 I have not been serious on any one aircraft. I like the DO-228, and I am treating that like a replacement PC-12 and I am flying that one a lot. But it does not feel right for some reason. Very little system depth and the landings are still a bit weird. Could be me, but it stops me getting 100% behind it. Don't get me wrong - I like the plane, but you need a bit more system depth to fly hundreds/thousands of hours in it and enjoy it.

I am really holding off to get the FF A320. I think that would be suitable to get down to study level. I have tried the IXEG 733, but frankly there are too many problems with the FMS for me to get serious with it. Even 1 crash is enough as it takes ages to prepare for a flight. I never feel like restarting the whole thing again. The Zibo Mod 738 looks good - but so many bugs/problems it is not worth my time to get too involved with it. I have never managed to finish a Zibo flight yet - not even once. Something always goes wrong. So the A320 is it.

lown

12 minutes ago, hjsmuc said:

I may reconsider buying this thing again because I like the plane very much

Do you have the DO-228?  If not, I highly recommend it. The cockpit is great - you really feel like you are sitting in it. And if you do not have the GTN-750, then that is a MUST purchase. Totally. Best thing I have bought this year (mmm...well, Pilot2ATC might be close). You can get rid of the useless GNS530 and those impossible to adjust knobs. The DO-228 integrates it very well.

Give the Zibo another chance. I have been flying it a lot recently and it is a great plane, never forget the mod is free. 

Maybe I'll give the DO-228 a chance as well. But, as I said, running out of time for more planes :mellow:

Hans

2 minutes ago, hjsmuc said:

Give the Zibo another chance. I have been flying it a lot recently and it is a great plane, never forget the mod is free.

I don't care if it is free or not (I appreciate it, of course), but as you know, setting up for a flight can take ages. Flight planning, FMS, taxi out, etc. On the last flight I did all this and on climb out the thing rolled inverted and crashed. No idea why. Probably one engine died for some reason, but no indications of anything wrong. Also, the FMS has a few issues - the flight plan is not always drawn correctly, especially if Vectors are involved. One one flight, I was flying along the flight plan all nice and good - and the plan changed dramatically. The plane would not follow the amended plan, but nor would it fly on the old route. Totally weird - the FMS totally borked. I seem to be trying to get the plane into the air despite everything going wrong. Frankly, too much effort, even though I would prefer to fly the 738 over the 733 or A320.

I have the Jar A320 but never flew it. Could not get my head around the Airbus paradigm. I have recently been watching training videos on the A320 and I understand it a lot better now. It is a very complicated aircraft, much more so than the 738, I think. So I think that if I get into it, it will be more stable than the Zibo, have more updates than the 733, and have more system depth than anything. But we will see - the beta is taking so long I am even starting to lose interest!

2 minutes ago, signmanbob said:

I believe STMA's PC12 is compatible with XP11 now.

http://store.x-plane.org/Pilatus-PC-12-47G_p_357.html#tab-4

I don't think so, and I don't like the org store of saying it's "XP10 full update or XP11" I have seen this writing on Carenado's PC-12 for XP10 as well, and we all know there are problem with that bird in XP11.  I wish they would be clear in saying that the plane is designed for XP10 but works ok in XP11.  These dishonest marketing muck really get to my nerve.  You can see that same writing in all of the Carenado birds that are not XP11 at the Org store :anonymose:

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Well, the STMA website says it is for XP 10 and 11, so in this case the ORG store is not at fault. Mind you, the website also says "This is a brand new model, built from the ground up for the latest X-Plane version". I certainly don't think that is true.

But I found that it did not work well in XP 11. Ground handling was all over the place, etc. I could not even take off, I seem to recall. It was not working well in XP 10.5 at the end there either. My PC-12 updater has not updated anything, so it is still the same old version. Might have a relook - they might have done something recently.

But frankly - while the graphics were barely ok for the time, they are very outdated now. It is time they brought out a new version.

22 hours ago, Wizball said:

Hi all

The just released Carenado PC12 for X-Plane 11 have GTN 750 support. 

Havent tried it yet.

http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Portal/index.php?accion=product&correl=206

Why does it say "when available?" (reference the gtn)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |