Sign in to follow this  
ssair1

4.2 Update

Since this was the first time that I updated my version of Prepar3d, from v4.1 to 4.2., I would like some clarification if I did things correctly: I followed the instructions from LM on the downloads page. First off, I uninstalled the Client and reinstalled it and continued with the same process for the scenery and content. However, do I also need to uninstalled and reinstall my entire P3d application as the last step? Or am I good to go? 

Kind regards, 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1 hour ago, ssair1 said:

Since this was the first time that I updated my version of Prepar3d, from v4.1 to 4.2., I would like some clarification if I did things correctly: I followed the instructions from LM on the downloads page. First off, I uninstalled the Client and reinstalled it and continued with the same process for the scenery and content. However, do I also need to uninstalled and reinstall my entire P3d application as the last step? Or am I good to go? 

Kind regards, 

You're good to go.

1 hour ago, FlightSimmer68 said:

This is a great video on how to do it:

Start watching at 12 mins.

Thank you for this, but in the video, he deactivates P3d during the client uninstall, I didn't deactivate mine, should I? 

This is the first time I have updated P3D. I am going from 4.0 to 4.2.

How do I know if I just need to update the client or if I need to update other components?

Or, does anyone know what I need to update?

I've read the release notes and the instructions, but I didn't find the answer.

Definitely the client. The content is recommended by some (though I haven't seen whether it's absolutely necessary), but it's a very quick process, so I don't see why you wouldn't update it. The scenery only has a few minor changes that are not required. Read through the 4.1. and 4.2 release notes to see whether any of those changes in the scenery are something that is of interest to you. Most avoid updating the scenery because doing so forces the reinstallation of some addons, namely Orbx FTX Global for one.

15 hours ago, wsmeier said:

Definitely the client. The content is recommended by some (though I haven't seen whether it's absolutely necessary), but it's a very quick process, so I don't see why you wouldn't update it. The scenery only has a few minor changes that are not required. Read through the 4.1. and 4.2 release notes to see whether any of those changes in the scenery are something that is of interest to you. Most avoid updating the scenery because doing so forces the reinstallation of some addons, namely Orbx FTX Global for one.

Thanks. I did the client and things seem to be working. I was reluctant to do content, because I read somewhere (P3D forum, perhaps) that the update could overwrite add on files. The change logs that LM releases are not terribly helpful. There is probably a better way to disseminate the info, so people know exactly what is contained in each of the new components and whether they are required.