Sign in to follow this  
sgreen91

Flythemaddog is released.

Sound is the only "weakness" in my opinion. It's good, but not superb. 

The rest is just awesome. This FDE makes hand-flying so enjoyable and landings are really satisfying! As a flight sim enthusiast you can't miss this. The Docs are on point!

Take it and enjoy! 

Yes, the sounds seems to be a bit weak, specially during take-off roll.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I'm not an MD-83, etc. guy but from what I have heard is that the sounds in the real cockpit is pretty quiet since the engines are so far back from the cockpit.  So, I'd say that is pretty accurate. 

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

13 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

I'm not an MD-83, etc. guy but from what I have heard is that the sounds in the real cockpit is pretty quiet since the engines are so far back from the cockpit.  So, I'd say that is pretty accurate. 

I am not referring to the engine sound levels, but more to all the rumbling sounds that you expect from a MD-80 taking off. I have just done one flight, but things were definitely on the quieter side in the cockpit during take-off roll. Not sure if this is very immersive, considering that it is quite an old lady.

5 minutes ago, Patriot3810 said:

the rotate md80 has the best textures for an md80 compared to the p3d version

I agree. The Rotate MD80 is better looking. Systems-wise, I believe that the Leonardo has an edge, but not by as much as I thought.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

First flight Done.

First thought.

I need to learn a lot :biggrin: , where things are in the VC. Its nothing like an A320 or an NG-777. That's all good, fun to learn.

The good.

I installed the 4096 VC textures, Like others have reported the VC texture and the outside modeling could be the best I've seen. Stunning.

Just two Screenshots from first flight tonight LIRF-LICJ

MD1.jpg

MD.jpg

The VC immersion I felt was great.

What this aircraft brings I don't think i even scratched the surface.

Hand flying. Very nice feel, Different as I hoped it would feel different. The landing hand flown from 1000ft was fantastic. I greased the landing, it felt as easy to landing as a GA. Not sure if thats good or bad :huh:. Very easy as the handling was so easy to control, greasing the landing on this aircraft is very easy unlike a A320. Even easier than an NG.

Performance.

Not as good as the NG and not as low as the FSL FPS wise. Its fine and never bats an eye.

The, I need to learn

In the legs page of the FMC there was now speed or any info? 

Co-routes loading would be nice Since I load the route into the planner.:dry: but no big deal.

Were the heck to you enter landing speeds????

Spent 10 mins looking for a Beacon light :blink::laugh:

Who designed that cockpit in real life needs a good talking to./slap

lots more but nvm.

The not so good 

The white nav lights, WHAT! how can you texture that VC and model the aircraft and miss 2008 low res horrible white nav light? Needs a fix on otherwise a perfect textured aircraft. There OK from some angles, close up there terrible.

The bad

The Engine Sounds.

VC sound are great, put cruise it felt there was a repeating droning sound. Hard to explain  it probably was low engine sound/wind? not sure as you can only just hear the engine from the VC and Im sure thats right as your a country mile away from them.

The most disappointing thing about this aircraft is the exterior sounds of the engines. They are so weak and lifeless. I wanted to hear them screaming at me when close. No, and inflight panning around the outside of the aircraft the engines were totally uninspiring. Can we buy TTS sounds set because these sounds are very disappointing. Unless they don't like my headphones?

That's it for first impressions. It will keep be coming back for lots more as there is so much to learn. It's a wonderful thing. It needs some engines sounds and the wing lights fixing to be as good as everything else is.

• Upvote 6

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

FPS compared to the NGX?

The NGX I fly everyday so its kind of my benchmark compared to everything else.

Cheers!

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

8 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

FPS compared to the NGX?

The NGX I fly everyday so its kind of my benchmark compared to everything else.

Cheers!

Yes the NGX, don't like the X on the end it's a FSX thing.. Its a bit lower but the FPS are steady and its ran just the the NG does.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

41 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

In the legs page of the FMC there was now speed or any info? 

Looks like incomplete PERF page. Did you by any chance encounter a "PERF VNAV"-warning in the CDU scratch pad?

41 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Were the heck to you enter landing speeds????

autopopulated on the APPROACH-page once GW is known by the FMC

Other friendly advice for landing is: choose to override ATS during flare, the ATS will want to IDLE at 50ft wich is very early and you risk losing elevator authority. Might be better off just using manual thrust during the whole approach. Also, when landing at heavy weights, power on landings are recommended

• Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

29 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

Looks like incomplete PERF page. Did you by any chance encounter a "PERF VNAV"-warning in the CDU scratch pad?

autopopulated on the APPROACH-page once GW is known by the FMC

Other friendly advice for landing is: choose to override ATS during flare, the ATS will want to IDLE at 50ft wich is very early and you risk losing elevator authority. Might be better off just using manual thrust during the whole approach. Also, when landing at heavy weights, power on landings are recommended

Yes i got the PERF VNAV warning, thanks will look at that.

OK thanks for the tips.:biggrin:

• Upvote 1

man.....I cannot wait to buy it. I can't afford it at the moment but maybe in a few months. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

This is a very well done aircraft, agree on the sounds ... once triggered they seem to fade out slowly ... very strange, is this accurate to real world version?   External sounds are off with a strange pitch shift as one moves around the aircraft.

But otherwise, the visuals and immersion is very well done ... love the rain effects on windshield and the lighting up of clouds as I fly thru them using HiFi AS4 is very realistic.  VC and external visuals are extremely well done (even the 2048 res VC textures are excellent).  The internal VC lighting is better than the TDFi 717 and it's using their RealLight system.

Flight model definitely feels different than other aircraft and it responds well to turbulence ... lots to learn about this aircraft as I'm currently on aircraft overload with the FF A320, FS A320, and now this gem LS MD-82 ... not sure what I'll do if PMDG release their updates/aircraft soon, and then Aerosoft's A330 ... too many quality aircraft and too little time.

So far, this aircraft has provided a immersion feel in bad weather that I've not experience in any simulator platform and/or aircraft to date (and I have many) ... but I might be bias as I'm a bad weather hunter when I do my flights.

It is missing a cabin.  There are a few other issues but most likely my learning curve on figuring it out (couldn't get it to hold my AP speed).

If they could address the audio issues, I'd give this aircraft a 9 out 10 and a bargain at this price point.  I'm sorta surprised more people aren't posting about this aircraft?

Cheers, Rob.

Haven't really had much of a chance to test out the plane or admittedly read up through the tutorials. Just hand flew it a couple of circuits to get a feel, but with the parking brake and (and to a much less extent with the parking brake on) does the plane start moving forward? I haven't seen this happen in a long time with the default aircraft. I was just wondering if that's normal. The throttle and joystick is calibrated.

About the moving with brake off...it depends on your gross weight, in my little bit of flying. Near MTOW, you won't move. If you're nearer to 100k lbs, you will move, which I think is great modeling.

My take on this aircraft after a very little time is positive.

I have the RotateSim version too, so I wasn't completely lost and was able to get airborn...weee. I think it is a better looking aircraft in the VC than the RotateSim version by a large margin. The Rotate version has the upper hand externally, but just by a bit. The sound. Yeah, I'm not liking the sound, but perhaps they'll work on that or a 3rd party sound pack will become available.

Frame rates are interesting, in that initially they were kinda low, but as time went on, they improved. All while just sitting on the ground. I don't know how that could be, but after about 10 minutes I had very good frame rates on the ground at EDDM payware with snow and dawn lighting. This was with High VC textures, High TrueGlass and medium TrueLights.

Going to fly some more and see what's what.

• Upvote 2

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Thanks RichieFly! Yea I figured that it depends on MTOW. I actually have never started cold and dark, and just had it load up in the ready to fly scenario, so I just assumed it would be close to MTOW. I could be wrong though. But it inching forward even on parking brake is a bit odd to me.