Sign in to follow this  
ieydis

Assumed Temp Flex TO - Setting Window

I'm going to apologize for being completely blind but when you turn the assumed temp knob, where is the readout for it?  I looked literally everywhere and can't seem to find it.  Driving me batty.  Used to setting it in the FMS on the newer planes.

Thanks!

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

It is displayed on the left most column in the FMA (in md80 FMA is often referred to as TARP after the columns Thrust - Armed mode - Roll - Pitch)

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

I thought I saw it there but spinning the wheel didn't change the value.  Is it because I first need to turn off ART?

Thanks again!

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

37 minutes ago, ieydis said:

I thought I saw it there but spinning the wheel didn't change the value.  Is it because I first need to turn off ART?

Thanks again!

I believe you have to turn off ART and push the FLEX TO button so it is lit, then turn the knob to change the numbers.

both you and Signmanbob are correct, to put in a Flex Temp for departure, you need you first turn off the ART and then press the TO FLX on the TRP, afterwhich when you rotate the the temp knob you will find the vaule on the FMA (TARP) display. You will also need the Flight Directors on to see this in the FMA.

• Upvote 2

Hm, that confuses me, because in the maddog X, I don't have to turn off the ART to put in FLEX temp. It is displayed in the TARP. Even better, it stays displayed when I set the FD's to OFF.

Any ideas why?

Jos

You do not have to turn ART off to dial in flex temp but you have to turn it off when doing a flex takeoff. Does this make sense? ;)

So press TO Flex and then dial the temp in. It is displayed in the second column of the FMA. 

Edited by Mad_X
  • Like 1

Thanks for the help guys.  Loving this new (old) plane!

:biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

The EOAP caution message for ART INOP will be displayed until after takeoff, so just disregard it. 

• Upvote 1

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

6 hours ago, Mad_X said:

You do not have to turn ART off to dial in flex temp but you have to turn it off when doing a flex takeoff. Does this make sense? ;)

So press TO Flex and then dial the temp in. It is displayed in the second column of the FMA. 

Ah okay, didnt know that... so I did full thrust takeoffs instead of FLEX. 

Is turning off ART just a safety task or is FLEX deactivated when ART is on?

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

That we would have to find out. My understanding is, that ART would interfere with the thrust. It could also be that the ART switch also controls the ATR (no typo here, Automatic Thrust Restoration) and that for sure could have an impact. 

Maybe somebody knows. 

Bottom line: flex TO, ATR switch off :)

You'll get a NO MODE if you forget to turn off the ART switch when using a derate/FLEX takeoff- it does interfere with the TRP. 

If you want a max power takeoff (we do this every so often in the real aircraft), turn ART off and keep T/O selected in the TRP (no derate). 2.02 EPR - 2.04EPR is what you'll get, and you'll become the space shuttle!

• Upvote 1

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Hey Guys,

the requirement to have ART OFF relates to certification in which the FAA didn’t want to have a derate off of a derate. Why a derate off of a derate? Because normal TO thrust (ART ON, no flex)  is already a derate of max TO thrust (ART OFF, no flex). So Douglas had to implement the procedure to have the ART OFF when FLEX-ing.  By switching the ART to OFF and then applying a FLEX, you are now assumed temperature derating from your engine’s Max TO thrust value. Not the normal TO thrust value (which by itself is already a derate).

Simple stuff right? :-) Happy Days ...

• Upvote 3

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

As a complete beginner (the md 80 is still the boss, not me) I always hesitate to what point to push the throttles, after reaching 1.40 EPR and activating auto-throttle at take-off. 

Some advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Jos

On 4.3.2018 at 9:42 AM, beep747 said:

As a complete beginner (the md 80 is still the boss, not me) I always hesitate to what point to push the throttles, after reaching 1.40 EPR and activating auto-throttle at take-off. 

Some advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Jos

Let your real throttle (Joystick) just where it is when activating AT. It moves the sim throttles to its own position and at 60knots it goes to clamp where it lets the throttle servos go. I think now you could interfere with your joystick. But you want to let it do its thing.

When it is not in clamp AT controls the levers. So far I only moved my joystick when in clamp mode on descent, to help it descent in IAS mode. 

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020