Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Site Update Tonight

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I must have looked at that page ten times but I would have never noticed the "thingy" that I had to click on..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

A word on the "Recent Topics" section on the main page.

Is this section being worked on at all? The current display of "topic..." is, quite frankly, terrible. Dot-dot-dot?

Frank's (fppilot) post on the subject (page 1) makes a lot of sense and would be a good way to go. I am not a coder so I am unaware of if it would actually be possible to implement but it would be a huge improvement on the current dot-dot-dot display.

Cheers! 

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

1 hour ago, speedyTC said:

but it would be a huge improvement on the current dot-dot-dot display.

I'm confused.  Where is the dot-dot-dot display?  I know there was soon after the update of the site but the AVSIM Tech fixed that.  Now we are seeing two or three words of a topic and I have asked the AVSIM Tech to take a look at it and see if he can expand the topics a little more.  I advised others who have an issue with Recent Topics in the "Help with the AVSIM Forums" forum.  I see no reason why it cannot be brought back to what it use to be.

I wish there was better news.  Brian, the AVSIM Tech, has a real world job flying on airliners around the world and volunteers to provide tech support when he can.  He is actually very good and has saved AVSIM more than once since the passing of Tom.  Tom was never able to upgrade AVSIM and tried several times but had to roll things back as it always failed. So we had the system installed after the hack of 2009.  When Tom passed away, Brian volunteered his services and what he does is greatly appreciated as there is no one on the Staff who can fix this except him.  Even Jim Young cannot do it!! :smile:

Whether or not you like the upgrades, they are needed so AVSIM can move forward and stay current with the technology.  It is a rapidly changing world.  Windows and the various browsers demand it.  Another update was just released but we will be holding off with that upgrade until the current update and system settles in.  Right now I am currently trying to learn some of the new features that came with the update.  The moderators and admins gained some permissions they never had before and lost some.  So I have to work that all out too.  I hope everyone can show some patience as any issues I see are passed to Brian and he fixes them as soon as he can.  If he cannot fix them, I will let you know or he might even post something to let you know and why.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

G'day Jim,

please have a look at the screenshot I'm including. It shows what I am seeing on my end. Hopefully, it can better explain what I'm trying to get across.

There is nothing wrong with upgrades and updates, simply that sometimes, however good the intentions, the end result falls somewhat short of expectations. Perhaps an extra tab titled "Recent" on the horizontal main menu bar just below the AVSIM image would allow a more expanded view of the Recent Topics page and allow some creative manipulation (such as the addition of flags - as per Frank's earlier post - ) to be implemented.

As I have said, I am not a coder and haven't the foggiest of what is and what is not possible in cases like this. 

Cheers!

dotdotdot.jpg

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

This is what we all see.  I found that hoovering my mouse over each topic will show the entire sentence.  The AVSIM tech is well aware of the situation and we can expect a resolution soon.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

2 hours ago, speedyTC said:

As I have said, I am not a coder and haven't the foggiest of what is and what is not possible in cases like this. 

AVSIM is a site developed by Invision - https://invisioncommunity.com/ .  We do not code it.  It is already coded.  We just make some modifications by checking this box and that box.  We can manage blocks on the sides of forums but those are all preset if we want them.  When we upgraded, it was an update from Invision.  FSDT, Orbx/FTX, and many other sites use Invision Community.  Now, as I mentioned above, the AVSIM Tech can do some modfications to the site as long as he stays within the parameters of the Invision Community Designs.  Please read my comments above as it appears you did not and it is foolish for me to continue on.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you both for the input.

Tony K.