Novej757

A New Take On the CJ2 GTN 750 Integration

Hi all I just wanted to share my version of the GTN 750 integration for the CJ2.  Though I'm not a fan of the current mod that is available, I am a fan of some of the techniques Bert and Raymar used to get it to work.  I guess I'm of the minor (very minor) few who actually wanted to maintain as much of the cj2s original systems as possible with this integration.  For example, I didn't want to lose the glare shield annunciator light panel's original state (don't like the engine instruments up there even if you can switch between the two).  I also wanted the CDU to still work (in all its limited glory).  The later was simply so I had two sources of navigation for over water flights....

Of course I needed Berts help to get that stinking nav button working correctly and unfortunately with my integration I have yet to figure out how to get the 750's Direct To button to work....(Honestly I don't even know where its click spot is LOL).  Anyways here's how I integrated the gtn 750.  Definitely not a perfect work of art but good enough for me LOL! Special thanks to @raymar and @Bert Pieke

CJ2GTN_zpstumto6sc.jpg

CJ2GTN1_zpsjpik4vxv.jpg

CJ2GTN2_zpsqv3lmy1y.jpg

• Upvote 2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Looks nice..

If you are not using the buttons alongside of the GTN surround, you can repurpose one of them and use it to trigger a little xml routine..

<Gauge Name="ToggleDirectTo" Version="1.0">
   <Image Name="blank.bmp"/>
      <Mouse>
       <Area Left="0" Top="0" Width="53" Height="34">
        <Cursor Type="Hand" />
         <Click Kind="LeftSingle + LeftRelease" >
             1 (>L:BUFFER_BTN_FMC,number)
    (M:Event) 'LeftSingle'  scmp 0 == if{ 0x0001FA03 (>L:F1GTNMOUSE, bool) }
             (M:Event) 'LeftRelease'  scmp 0 == if{ 0x0001FA04 (>L:F1GTNMOUSE, bool) }
          </Click>
       </Area>
   </Mouse>
</Gauge>

blank.bmp is just a small empty (black) square.. not even sure it is needed..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Looks nice..

If you are not using the buttons alongside of the GTN surround, you can repurpose one of them and use it to trigger a little xml routine..

<Mouse>
        <Cursor Type="Hand" />
          </Click>
       </Area>
   </Mouse>
</Gauge>

Wow Bert Thanks!  One question, where do I put that?

Edited by Novej757

Posted (edited)

1. You create an xml text file with the above content and call it "ToggleDirectTo.xml"

2. You create a subfolder to your panel folder and call it, say "CustomCJ2"

3. You drop the xml file and the bmp file in the new subfolder

4. In the panel.cfg file you add a line:

gaugexx=CustomCJ2!ToggleDirectTo, x, y, w,h

the location to match up with some gauge area in the panel where clicks are allowed..

BTW, the line

is meant to trigger a Carenado click sound.. you may adapt it if the CJ2 uses different names..

Edited by Bert Pieke

3 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

1. You create an xml text file with the above content and call it "ToggleDirectTo.xml"

2. You create a subfolder to your panel folder and call it, say "CustomCJ2"

3. You drop the xml file and the bmp file in the new subfolder

4. In the panel.cfg file you add a line:

gaugexx=CustomCJ2!ToggleDirectTo, x, y, w,h

the location to match up with some gauge area in the panel where clicks are allowed..

BTW, the line

is meant to trigger a Carenado click sound.. you may adapt it if the CJ2 uses different names..

I knew that I was just testing you!    Yeah I didn't know that LOL  Creating it now!  Thank you so much Bert!

Hey @Bert Pieke I figured it out.  Turns out i was using F1GTN vs F1GTNVC in my panel.cfg entry!  Yellow Circle is my new Direct To button!  Thanks again

cj2gtn4_zpsrerpwtex.jpg

So I used @raymar engine gauges and decided to place them where they appear on the real jet.  Hey @Bert Pieke is there a way to just display the map portion of the GTN 750 without all the comm stuff at the top? 

GTNCJ26_zpsyriihwr5.jpg

Hi Folks,

While I GREATLY appreciate the "mod squads" efforts on this plane - putting the engine instruments on the annunciator panel wasn't my favorite solution either... Thanks for the additional efforts - maybe it's time to blow the cobwebs off this old bird ?

Regards,
Scott

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Novej757 said:

So I used @raymar engine gauges and decided to place them where they appear on the real jet.  Hey @Bert Pieke is there a way to just display the map portion of the GTN 750 without all the comm stuff at the top? 

GTNCJ26_zpsyriihwr5.jpg

I do not own the cj2, but what happens if you move the gtn up a bit? It looks like you had that solved before, with the gtn at the top..

Edited by Bert Pieke

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I do not own the cj2, but what happens if you move the gtn up a bit? It looks like you had that solved before, with the gtn at the top..

Yeah not really.  The GTN will bleed through the engine displays with a horrible flashing effect that will give small children and old ppl epileptic seizures.  I was able to do it with the first set up because the gtn couldn't bleed through the vc.  So just moving it up works in that case.  Is there anyway to assign display priorities to gauges so one will display on top of another?  I have soooo much to learn!

6 minutes ago, Novej757 said:

Yeah not really.  The GTN will bleed through the engine displays with a horrible flashing effect that will give small children and old ppl epileptic seizures.  I was able to do it with the first set up because the gtn couldn't bleed through the vc.  So just moving it up works in that case.  Is there anyway to assign display priorities to gauges so one will display on top of another?  I have soooo much to learn!

Not sure that can be worked out.. As you have discovered, you can use the edges to cut off part of the gtn... but overlapping two gauges is not going to result in a good outcome..

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Not sure that can be worked out.. As you have discovered, you can use the edges to cut off part of the gtn... but overlapping two gauges is not going to result in a good outcome..

Do you know how @raymar separated the engine gauges from the original MFD?  Or did he just make an all new gauge?

Posted (edited)
On 25/03/2018 at 12:07 AM, Bert Pieke said:

Looks nice..

<Mouse>
        <Cursor Type="Hand" />
          </Click>
       </Area>
   </Mouse>
</Gauge>

Hi Bert have appreciated the work you do for the community for a while and use a few of your MODs...  great that you can write XML code as well,  in that vein,  would it be possible to rewrite that script to be used by a Joystk Button rather than a mouse.  

If it can be done then I thought that I could adapt it for the   Car Phenom 100 -  VS and FLC - buttons to use then on my buttonbox.  I have spent days trying to configure them via the LVARS but too many of them. So I saw this and thought if I can assign the  -Button-  as an event to the  -Script-  instead of the  -Mouse Event- ...   possible?

aero

Edited by aerostar

I have no experience with buttons, but the lvar code above should work regardless.

12 hours ago, Novej757 said:

Do you know how @raymar separated the engine gauges from the original MFD?  Or did he just make an all new gauge?

You start with the carenado mfd code, and remove everything that you do not need.

Posted (edited)

I added some more functionality to my GTN integration here.  As you can see the aircraft checklist can now be accessed via the GTN.  I did not include the preflight, preliminary and external checks as the aircraft would usually be powered down, and the pilot away from the GTN to perform those checks.

CJ2GTN7_zpseye8hpes.jpgSo I've

Edited by Novej757

Posted (edited)

UPDATE 4/17/18

Hi all I wanted to give everyone an update on this.  As I've told those of you who have PM'd me this was originally just a mod I had done for myself as I really didn't think anybody else would be interested in it.  Clearly I was wrong.  So I will be making this available as soon as I can ensure there's no issues....which I haven't run into so far.

So many of you are wondering why has this taken so long?  Its just a simple resize of the GTN gauge and a tweak of the panel.cfg right?  Well yes but this package is going to give you the end user a little more than that.  First off, I wanted my mod to be closer to how the real aircraft is.  I like the community mod that is already available but I have never been a fan of the engine gauges being where the annunciator panel is.  So I placed the engine gauges designed by @raymar originally used in his community mod, back in the MFD.  As you see I originally had it at the bottom of it, now they are where they belong.....

CJ2GTN8_zpsxv6rauzs.jpg

Pay close attention to this picture there's something else that I've included that we'll get back to here in a few... (Hint.....look at the annunciator panel :wink:)

As mentioned above I have also utilized the GTN750s checklist function and added the CJ2's checklist to it.  Now with that being said, this was designed to help the pilot (especially flying single pilot ops) quickly reference the checklist he needs.  So checklist like the PREPARATION Checklist which are done prior to the aircraft being powered on are not included, as are those such as the LANDING checklist that are done as the action is supposed to happen.  Everything needed to fly the plane safely is.

CJ2GTN9_zpssve8l5hp.jpg

So did you figure out what was wrong in the first picture yet?  The engines are clearly at idle right, so where are all the engine attenuator lights?   WELL there are none.  Why, because this is my SIMULATED CJ2+ cockpit.  As I'm sure you know the CJ2+ does not have the attenuators.  Therefore, it does not have attenuator lights :biggrin:!  The zip file I will send you will include a CJ2 and CJ2+ folder which will allow you to choose one or both for your simming pleasure.  The CJ2+ file will include the updated panel, aircraft.cfg and air files needed to make the aircraft fly AS CLOSE TO THE NUMBERS OF THE REAL AIRCRAFT AS I COULD GET THEM.  So yes you will get more engine thrust (2490lb vs 2400lb of the CJ2) and significantly more range with the CJ2+ option.  You will also have a little bit more payload available with the CJ2+ model.

Guys this is a work in progress.  I'm new to this so there are things you will instantly find wrong.  Know that I will be trying my best to make this better but it will take some time.  Some of the things I can tell you right off the bat are as follows:

• compass on GTN isn't a perfect circle (see pics in this thread)
  • CJ2+ engine gauges do not replicate FADEC functionality of the real aircraft....So no thrust gates on your throttles, no thrust selection readout (ie CLM, CRZ, CON etc) on the MFD most importantly it currently still uses the CJ2 N1 engine values!  (So you can still rev them all the way to 102.4% N1 which the real aircraft will not allow)
  • Aircraft model thrust attenuators will still work even if the CJ2+ is selected
  • CJ2+ still needs some fine tuning to get it to fly closer to the numbers (I know how important that is to some of you.)
  • Haven't figured out how to remove the GTN radio menus (if it is even possible)....(see pics)
  • No 2D popup of the new MFD

Lastly there are also some added features I'm trying to learn how to do to further enhance the overall simulation of this aircraft.  They include

• Adding an A/C (Air conditioning) sound when the fans are switched on
  • Adding an A/C sound when the window bleeds are used (which are supposedly very noticeable in the real aircraft)

So I am a full time Mechanical Engineering student with finals looming first week of May.  We just had a baby girl 10 weeks ago not to mention I have two teenagers who also keep me busy.  I'm also a new painter on a certain 787 forum with a very similar name who has fallen WAY behind on the projects I had planned over there.   So all that to say, I'm not sure when initial release will be but I plan to have it out to you within the next week if possible.  Meanwhile start shooting me a pm with an email I can send it too and as soon as its ready I'll start sending it out!  Oh can't forget to say thank you to @raymar and @Bert Pieke for their help with this!

Edited by Novej757
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Jevon, seems to be a very complex work. Thanks! I've PM you before, anyway I'm sending you again the PM with my email address.

Best Regards,

Roberto

Posted (edited)

UPDATE 4/23/18

Hi all just wanted to give you guys an update on where I am with this mod.  Good news I have control over the thrust attenuators.  So I can now turn the external models on and off for those wanting to use the simulated CJ2+  (Unfortunately they are still there as they are apart of the 3d model :dry:) See.....

CJ2GTN10_zps8fphbelt.jpg

CJ2GTN11_zpsratr26ip.jpg

She's sitting at idle in both pics, no (external model) attenuator activation (and no lights on the annunciator panel as I pointed out in my last post) whoo hoo!   Even more excitingly, I've also been in talks with @raymar who will be graciously providing me with a copy of his CJ2+ performance data.  The GTN mod itself is working flawlessly for both mods here, the delay is coming from the constant testing of the performance data specifically the CJ2+.  I'm currently very limited in my data to model its performance against, so the info that @raymar will provide will be extremely helpful.

I have AirEd and can see all the thrust tables that I need to edit within the airfile.  However, for some reason I can't actually edit them.  Does anybody know how or of any other program (freeware preferred) that will allow you to do this.  Without it I am very limited in how much "tweaking" I can do.  The biggest thing I want to do is remove the 102.4 max N1 rpm for the simulated CJ2+ fadec.   All my time has been spent tuning and testing the CJ2+ So far I'm pretty happy with where it is.  I'll be able to compare better once I get that data.  If it gets to complex I may just leave it as it is......Trust me the CJ2+ is a little rocket in real world ops and she is here too :wink:!  I'm trying to get it as close to book values as my extremely limited skills can so please forgive me if she doesn't fly by the book perfectly.

Lastly, so Raymar is out of town and says he can't get that info to me until he gets back in about a week.  Furthermore, I have tests like crazy this week and Finals next week.  I have received everyones PMs who read the last post (thank you for the interest and to those who have not sent me a PM, if you are interested in getting this mod shoot one over to me). You all will obviously be the first to receive it when its ready.  Thank you for your patience I hope its worth the wait.....SN  Tell Carenado we need a CJ4 LOL!

Edited by Novej757
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

MAJOR UPDATE 5/2/18

Coming Later today............

Edited by Novej757

UPDATE 5/2/18

So I just can't stay away from this bird.  I've been studying like crazy for my finals this week, but during my breaks I find myself toying around with this project.  Well that toying around paid off.  Before I continue, thank you to all of you who have shown interest in this mod so far.  EVERYONE THAT HAS SENT A PM SO FAR, I HAVE RECEIVED IT.  Sorry I haven't been able to respond to tell you.  So  that's why I'm taking this time to do it now because I don't want any of you to think I'm ignoring you (some people sent two PMs LOL).  If you are interested in this mod once I'm done please shoot me a PM with an email for me to send it!

OK back to this update I can't wait to show you guys.  First  and foremost @raymar bombarded me with all the CJ data I could ever use then some LOL.  My last final will be tomorrow evening so after that I'm diving headfirst into improving this FDE.  So thank you @raymar!!!  I have very limited coding experience in fact Qbasic in highschool and Matlab in my current engineering school is really the only experience I have.....if you want to even call it that.  However I have always liked to tinker with things so I decided I try tinker with a certain few .xml files just to see if there was anything I could maybe...........tinker with.  Lets go take the CJ2+ up so you can see what I did........

CJ2GTN13_zps5yxhbqus.jpg

Look at that temp, sheesh its really cold outside today.  (Yes that says -1 deg C) 😰........

CJ2GTN14_zpslawxuybq.jpg

Whoa look at that snow!!! We're sitting at KBWI on March 21, 2018 @ 0813.   This was a real snow storm that went through this area on that day.....Thanks ASN Historical mode!

Anyways I had a long night hanging out at the Inner Harbor eating crabs having a good time......I'm from Florida (not really)......so who needs anti ice in conditions like this????? 

I clearly didn't make use of my nifty checklist on the GTN.....I'm just ready to get out of here before this airport closes and we're stuck here indefinitely......so off we go....

CJ2GTN15_zpsexgjumrs.jpg

Uneventful takeoff,......but wait climbing through just 1800ft out the corner of my eye I see an annunciator light lightup.......😲

CJ2GTN16_zpsxdk54l3w.jpg

How could I be so stupid!?  I immediately turn on the left and right wing/engine engine ice and automatic tail anti ice systems......

CJ2GTN17_zpsca2kapo7.jpg

By time we're climbing through 3000ft the "Icing" warning has turned off, our anti-ice systems are working as advertised...Crises averted!!!

CJ2GTN18_zpswdbnsfrp.jpg

We finally get out the cold soup at 10000ft.....anti ice systems powered off.......

I always hated how crossing that -10 deg C temp barrier the CJ would always give you a caution light that could only be turned off by turning on your anti-ice systems or pressing the caution light.  Once the systems were powered on there was no indication that they were on other than the switch positions themselves. Being the forgetful pilot I am, I've landed in places like Phx with them still on.   In the picture below notice how I have the left anti-ice selector in the wing/engine setting, while the right side is just on the wing setting.......

CJ2GTN19_zpsw2lrhkkb.jpg

And here you can see the appropriate annunciator lights will now light to show you when they are energized!!!!

CJ2GTN20_zps0e9wfuwd.jpg

If you can't tell I am quite proud of this modification.  So far I've only tested the ice detection system in both stock FSX snowy weather and ASN snowy weather and its worked wonderful.  If you're not in conditions to warrant ice accumulation on the aircraft the ice detection system will not light the annunciator light.  There is also a delay sometimes when flying in these conditions so just like in the real world you may not get an indication right away.

I borrowed this system from Carenados amazing Premier 1a.  The real CJ2s do not come with this type of ice detection.   I believe I read the annunciator lights for the anti-ice systems stay lit until the ice is removed but don't quote me on that.  I personally think this is cooler anyways!  What do you guys think???? Let me know.....

I'm slowly learning this .xml game but this modification opens up a whole slew of features I plan to impliment on this bird to improve the immersion aspect a bit!   I think she will be worth the wait.  Lastly, sorry the wait has been so long.  This is my last week of school before summer break.  So I will be completely devoted to finishing this up after.  I still do have to go through all Raymars data....maybe I'll put that out as an update later on.........Stay Tuned and thanks for your patience.......

• Like 1

Jevon,

Thank you for your hard work! I am looking forward to your mod. I am glad you are putting school first, that is very wise.

Greg