Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Farewell FSW

5 hours ago, Wobbie said:

There are far too many 'sim 'oracles' out there, that have huge followings,  that are so quick to criticize.

Sometimes because they want to steer the user herd towards their products/initiatives, but all in the name of protecting the community.  An old pattern seen repeatedly throughout history.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

On 4/30/2018 at 7:21 PM, WotanUK said:

Why is the community beating itself up over this...i don't understand, bad products die all the time, .......

Yes, but in this context, I think your claim is incorrect. If FSW is a really bad product - no one will care. But FSW is - in my opinion - already a decent flight simulator - and had a great future potential (if you have used the latest update, you understand what I mean - and I'm not talking about DTG's finances).

For example, FSW has 7 default airplanes with a payware-quality that far exceeds any airplane in P3Dv4. If you buy P3Dv4, then you must buy a payware airplane at a price probably higher than the entire FSW simulator. And then you've already ruled out a lot of potential newbies.

And for example, it's fun learning a new plane using the new "simple" Cold and Dark feature. A feature that not only appeals to newbies - but also to me. Etc, etc, etc, etc, ... (Now, back to "PDF-reading").

What is really sad is that we have now lost this great potential for innovation and a new direction.

Obviously, I understand that those who have invested thousands of dollars in P3Dv4, and have everything they want - and do not care about getting new blood to this wonderful hobby -  do not care.

Like Rob Ainscough, I also really hope that LM employs the resource people now available after FSW was dumped. We need more innovation. :smile:

Edited by torium
  • Upvote 3

Interesting discussion on this issue. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

On 5/1/2018 at 4:02 AM, Bobsk8 said:

DTG's business model is to sell DLC that is about 80% finished, and when you complain about it not working correctly, they try and sell you something else that is 80% finished. Their development team never works on the broken DLC they just sold, trying to fix it, they are working on the next product that they will sucker you into buying.   Flight simmers would never put up with that, and when they realized that this was their new reality, they bailed out. DTG is a good company to stay away from. 

I have no experience with DTG's Train Simulators. But I think we all now have understood your point: You have purchased a product from DTG, and then feel very cheated by DTG. It's never a good feeling.

But could you give us an example of a DLC product for FSW (made by DTG) which is only 80% complete - and that they optionally will not complete? 

As another mentioned, - in marketing is alleged that: - "Having a better brand is better than having a better product." And you constantly confirms this assertion. You have focus on the company and not the product. The logic is that if your company has a bad director - then the product is really bad. It appears that if DTG started selling PDMG products, these products would also be garbage?

Your bad experience with DTG's Train Simulators has often been used as an argument on Steam to condemn FSW. The FSW team has tried to nuance this criticism, quote: 

- "I appreciate the feedback, though if you'd allow me to be candid. It does appear that a lot of your feedback on Flight Sim World is directed at the Trains franchise. 

Flight Sim World is being developed by a separate team, who are passionate about aviation and eager to build upon the experience offered in Flight Sim World. We have (in my opinion) some of the most detailed aircraft in a base simulator, have overhauled the weather engine, expanded the range of missions on offer and are eager to continue expanding the sim further. 

If you've seen our content, development and direction post from Stephen Hood, you'd be aware that our goal is to not only build an evolving platform for the future of flight simulation, but to do so with "no vital pieces of FSW which I foresee only ever being available as a 3rd party addon."

The FSW team and their product never got trust - because: - "Having a better brand is better than having a better product."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, torium said:

The FSW team and their product never got trust - because: - "Having a better brand is better than having a better product."

And other highly influential brands condemned it from its start.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

3 hours ago, torium said:

It appears that if DTG started selling PDMG products, these products would also be garbage?

Always proofread can be a good habit. I mean, of course, PMDG  (corrects so this does not need to be a discussion topic.) :smile:

I'm glad FSW finally died, now developers can focus on the successful flight sim(s).🎉

We will scatter the FSW ashes on May 24th and hopefully soon forget this DTG venture ever happened.🍕

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, pracines said:

I'm glad FSW finally died, now developers can focus on the successful flight sim(s).🎉

We will scatter the FSW ashes on May 24th and hopefully soon forget this DTG venture ever happened.🍕

The team of developers who've just been made redundant aren't likely to forget it. Or who it was that wished it on them.

Why would those developers ever want to work on another flight simulation or add-on again, when there's easier money to be made using up-to-date code for the big names in mainstream gaming?

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, A32xx said:

The team of developers who've just been made redundant aren't likely to forget it. Or who it was that wished it on them.

Why would those developers ever want to work on another flight simulation or add-on again, when there's easier money to be made using up-to-date code for the big names in mainstream gaming?

Well said. I have to say, there are some really sad, sad people here. One can't help but feel pity for them. 🙂

• Like 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

3 hours ago, pracines said:

In case you're referring to the developer companies themselves, that's what they should have stuck to doing all along, instead of Peevishly Misrepresenting Dovetail Games.

18 minutes ago, A32xx said:

In case you're referring to the developer companies themselves, that's what they should have stuck to doing all along, instead of Peevishly Misrepresenting Dovetail Games.

I guess PMDG was also responsible for all the "glowing"  reviews of FSW on the Steam forum  written by users who actually tried it. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Steam comments are more representative of the casual video gaming community at large and not the flight sim community. It's some of the same people who post videos online of themselves crashing into people in FSX multiplayer, in essence video game trolling. These same people lose interest in a game purchased on Steam in either a few days or a week at most.

4 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Steam comments are more representative of the casual video gaming community at large and not the flight sim community. It's some of the same people who post videos online of themselves crashing into people in FSX multiplayer, in essence video game trolling. These same people lose interest in a game purchased on Steam in either a few days or a week at most.

And that is where DTG decided to market FSW, as they do with their other sims. 

5 hours ago, pracines said:

The attitude of some of the folks in this forum is pretty sickening.  So your glad...you must be pretty pleased with yourself.

I, for one, am not glad.  And no, I'm far from new to this hobby.  I've owned every single version of MSFS, every version of X-Plane since version 3 and even P3D.  I'm not a DTG word not allowed. (in other words, I don't like or dislike DTG)  But I was willing to give them a chance.  I was like most, using P3D or other sims primarily and occasionally firing up FSW to see how development was going.  Yet some people felt the need (and still do) to talk trash of FSW and DTG.  For example, complaining about all the "expensive" DLC, yet these same people have bragged about spending thousands on P3D or FSX addons.  Really??  How is that not a double standard?  Feel free to challenge me on that.  There is more, but no need to keep re-hashing old posts.

When a new product dies and there's less competition, we all lose.  It's a shame that some don't see that, or are more interested in rubbing their glee in others faces.  Well, if you're one of those, you're not doing this hobby any favors.

Edited by bcuomo
word not allowed
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 3