Bobsk8

Farewell FSW

They announced this morning that FSW has been discontinued. No surprise to me actually, DTG was in no way equipped to handle a product as immense as this. 

• Like 1

Just read on Steam this morning that Flight Sim World will not be a product for sale as of next month. I guess they found out what a monumental task they had to compete with P3D, FSX, and X Plane. 

• Like 1

Same old and tired FSX engine, somewhat confusing relationship with 3rd. Party developers, bad reputation from DTG, no VR support, rise of XP11...there are many reasons for this. 

Currently I believe the FS market is saturated in terms of sims. P3D for professionals and students, XP11 for consumers and AF-FS2 for early-adopters. I use all of them, but never touched FSW due to the lack of VR. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

I told folks about this when DTG announced they were going to do a flight sim. Spent two years with TrainSim, spending a ton of money to buy bug filled products that were never fixed. Flight Simmers would have never put up for that kind of treatment. No loss to the FS community. 

Hi Bob,

Concur - I have a bunch of posts here on AvSim where I wasn't trying to rain on anyone's parade - but - I was attempting to temper the undeserved enthusiasm people showed for DTG...

Regards,
Scott

Wonder how much DTG paid MS for the rights to the FSX platform? Must have been a large $ value. Not a good investment in hindsight.......

• Like 1

This project was dead from the start. I'm not being negative, just keeping it real. They could not get me to buy it even for $5. IMHO we have too many sims and they all need to improve, especially in the stability department.

• Like 4

Why doesn't this surprise me at all...

3 minutes ago, J van E said:

Why doesn't this surprise me at all...

Well it does surprise me. Unlike FLIGHT, FSW received a pretty rapturous response, and things seemed on track, at least from the outside.... 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm actually surprised. I never really played FSW, but was amazed when they introduced trueSky.

The sim definitely had potential (if you ask me) but personally I didn't really like the business model, which DoveTail Games practices. Given that they obviously had plans with the sim (when you look and view their development diaries) I'm actually surprised, that they throw in the towel like that... 

Not surprised. Doomed to fail right from the start. I am sure there are people over there at DTG who really went for it with all their heart but I do think DTG management was mainly out to get some easy money. One more reason for me to stay away from DTG. As far as possible. 

6 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

Wonder how much DTG paid MS for the rights to the FSX platform? Must have been a large $ value. Not a good investment in hindsight.......

Maybe DTG will sell the license to Lockheed Martin so that P3D can be offered as a consumer product as well?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, mwilk said:

Scott, is there another good option for train simming besides the DTG offering?

Hi Mike,

PM sent...

Regards,

Scott

12 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Well it does surprise me.

Well... this:

59 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

You should see how DTG is routinely lambasted in the Train Sim community - we've been dealing with them for years - complete lack of attention to detail, physics, and operations - they seldom fix anything - they truly did not inspire confidence when bringing their business model to this side of the fence... I won't miss them...

Regards,
Scott

And this:

55 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I told folks about this when DTG announced they were going to do a flight sim. Spent two years with TrainSim, spending a ton of money to buy bug filled products that were never fixed. Flight Simmers would have never put up for that kind of treatment. No loss to the FS community. 

+1 to both. So no, I am not surprised. (I also totally missed the 'rapturous response' btw.)

9 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Mike,

PM sent...

Regards,

Scott

If you would be so kind to PM me too... I own some DTG train sims but they aren't installed for (by now) obvious reasons. I'd like another GOOD train sim. (And sorry for going off topic here.)

Edited by Guest

Deleted because of merger duplicating post. 

Edited by bonchie

12 minutes ago, newtie said:

We don't need more.

We need better.

Mark

That's true. A combination of the best features of P3D (e.g. weather and seasons) with X-plane (e.g. , flight modelling, lights) would be a most satisfying simulator...

• Like 1

That's too bad.  There was so much promise here.  The developers and management simply failed in the execution of this and didn't listen to the community.  Did they not learn anything from Microsoft Flight?  The developers asked the community what we wanted in a new sim and many of us responded, but for some bizarre reason they made something extremely limited in scope that didn't have what so many of us specifically asked for.

On a positive note, for me at least, this sort of flightsim Darwinism in action lets me focus on the other sims like P3D, Aerofly, and Xplane instead of wasting time with FSW. 

Dave

Edited by dave2013

8 minutes ago, J van E said:

Well... this:

And this:

+1 to both. So no, I am not surprised. (I also totally missed the 'rapturous response' btw.)

If you would be so kind to PM me too... I own some DTG train sims but they aren't installed for (by now) obvious reasons. I'd like another GOOD train sim. (And sorry for going off topic here.)

yeah. Would like a pm as well ;)

Like I said over a year ago (and got argued down how this was different), you can't go early access without also giving fans a real roadmap and end game to look forward to. Goals and stretch goals met on a timeline are what keep original good will intact. Otherwise the early access with wither and die.

FSW's answer was basically to just trust them and the hardcore believers carried that message while many other original buyers went elsewhere.

Another point I made at release was that they released too soon. There was not enough new there at the start. They blew all their hype way too early. If they'd of waited, things might of been different.

That and of course some of the design and 3PD decisions also hurt them.

Edited by bonchie

35 minutes ago, qqwertzde said:

Maybe DTG will sell the license to Lockheed Martin so that P3D can be offered as a consumer product as well?

Several have mentioned their owning of the license, but I'd almost guarantee that their deal with MS was like when a developer leases the Crysis or Unreal engines.

They probably owed MS for each copy sold vs. paying them millions upfront.

Another thing that makes me think that MS retains the ultimate rights is Dovetail removing FSW from Steam. Even if they stop development, why not keep cashing in while you can? Probably because they can no longer maintain the lease of the license.

Edited by bonchie

Apologies for all of the moving around of this topic.  There were 2 topics going at the same time so I merged them together into one topic and finally got it all into the appropriate place....I hope!  Carry on:blink:

Without 3rd party dev support, this was never going to take off.  And no one supported their business model.

• Upvote 2

Come on guys. This isn't a discussion about Train simulators. Please lets keep this on topic.

• Like 1