Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Farewell FSW

17 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Why would LM care about any of that though? Do their commercial and government clients need any of that? That’s the only thing that matters.

Somehow, certain people feel that LM's "military" clients have a vastly different perspective. From the beginning, LM has used P3d as the basis for other battlefield sims that it has developed. Promotional videos of these sims have been posted both on the LM website, YouTube and Facebook, so I won't bother again, but suffice it to say, they are plenty realistic. They aren't at the level of of a state of the art Playstation 4 battlefield sim (without the benefit of the associated limited sandbox), but they look pretty good to me. P3d itself is being marketed worldwide as an inexpensive replacement for expensive 3D motion simulators. Thus, It was important that it have working VR. We haven't seen the end of improvements in this "prosumer" flightsim and  I'm even more optimistic than Rob as I think that PBR is just around the corner.

WOW ! I just purchased FSW from STEAM last Wednesday !!!

Bill Davis

1 hour ago, zmak said:

I can do both !

can you?

what has your 152 rating got to do with it LOL. I hold a commercial license but so what?

get the picture?

Edited by Bobsk8

PF3 Beta Tester

Bob Cardone        P3D 3,4       FlyVirtual.net   Aivlasoft EFB2  /pf3-supporter.gif

16 minutes ago, wwdavis said:

Bill Davis

My condolences my friend, better days will come!

• Like 1

Marques

I7-8700k@4.7Ghz | Corsair H110i GTX| MSI GTX 1080 TI | 32GB Ram @3000MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | Samsung 40" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync

18 minutes ago, wwdavis said:

Bill Davis

I think you have 30 days to get a refund. 

PF3 Beta Tester

Bob Cardone        P3D 3,4       FlyVirtual.net   Aivlasoft EFB2  /pf3-supporter.gif

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I think you have 30 days to get a refund. 

nop, in steam, 14 days and less than 2 hours of play!

Edited by dmarques69

Marques

I7-8700k@4.7Ghz | Corsair H110i GTX| MSI GTX 1080 TI | 32GB Ram @3000MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | Samsung 40" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

How could you possibly have known it would fail on the day it was released? I genuinely thought FSW was going somewhere new when the trueSKY update was released - that really was exciting in a genre where most updates are usually just bug fixes. Things seemed to be progressing well up to the end of last year then it just seemed to run out of momentum. I'm sad to see it go.

I followed its prehistory from its announcement on day 1 and I was convinced it would fail when it apppeared. Check my earlier contributions here, people like me and Jeroen (JvE) and some others were often called naysayers and affronted.

The whole approach by DT from early "Martin" Steam feature lists where no one replied over Flight School with completely off shaders, next those ill-defined questionnairs, distribution concepts, the missing SDK - it's sad but true but FSW was doomed from its very beginning.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

MSFS, P3D Professional 5, AeroflyFS2, XP11; Beta tester of SimStarter, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 /  XTOP/Saitek hardware panel / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

3 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

DTG stops selling FSW May 24, PMDG announcement June 9? Coincident I reckon?

I'll admit the timing of this is odd.

Even if FSW's development is stopping, why would they stop selling it? Defunct games stay for sale on Steam all the time to keep generating income. DTG just released a new addon like three days ago...and now all the sudden it's leaving Steam and the doors are closed? Something weird is going on here. That's why I speculated that they've lost the right to sell FSW (i.e. they never actually owned the FS franchise but just leased it's rights).

With that said, I do not want to see anyone else pick up the ESP code. P3D is already doing that and the ESP engine itself is just too far dated at this point. As much as I like the weather (with addons) and airplanes (with addons) in P3D, the graphical limits are really starting to show in regards to scenery presentation and lighting, even with the best addons. It's tough to go back to P3D after experiencing graphical fidelity like DCS or even XP11 w/ Ortho.

I can't even fly at night in P3D anymore because it looks so ridiculous compared to the other modern sims.

I'm not sure if we'll see another civilian simulator anytime soon, but I'm just done with the ESP reboots. P3D can keep doing it's thing but someone needs to do something new.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bonchie said:

I'll admit the timing of this is odd.

Even if FSW's development is stopping, why would they stop selling it? Defunct games stay for sale on Steam all the time to keep generating income. DTG just released a new addon like three days ago...and now all the sudden it's leaving Steam and the doors are closed? Something weird is going on here.

With that said, I do not want to see anyone else pick up the ESP code. P3D is already doing that and the ESP engine itself is just too far dated at this point. As much as I like the weather (with addons) and airplanes (with addons) in P3D, the graphical limits are really starting to show in regards to scenery presentation and lighting, even with the best addons. It's tough to go back to P3D after experiencing graphical fidelity like DCS or even XP11 w/ Ortho.

I can't even fly at night in P3D anymore because it looks so ridiculous compared to the other modern sims.

I'm not sure if we'll see another civilian simulator anytime soon, but I'm just done with the ESP reboots. P3D can keep doing it's thing but someone needs to do something new.

I have the same opinion. We do not need yet another FSX necromancer!

• Like 1

Intel i9 10900k@5.1Ghz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Gaming Carbon Z490 - 32Gb RAM DDR4 3200 - 5TB NVMe/SSD - Samsung Ultra-Wide 49" 5K C49RG94SSU - BeQuiet Straight Power 1000W Platinum - BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX - BeQuiet Pure Loop 360mm
Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog (w. MONSTERTECH Mounts) + MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals
HP Reverb G2 (incoming) / TrackIR
MSFS / Prepar3D V5 / DCS

Another reason why I avoid pre-release purchase. Does DTG ever finish anything? I genuinely don’t know.

hm. if DTG were trying to take a slice, plus Steam take a slice, that's a pretty bad deal for 3rd party vendors then dang.  or way higher prices for us. :o

Edited by Buffy Foster
clarified

My PC: I7-7700K 4.9 Ghz (OC), ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO, 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, EVGA 850 G3 Gold power supply, C:=1TB WD Black D:=1TB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro, Windows 10 Pro, Prepar3D v4, AFS2, Tons of Orbx 🙂

https://www.flickr.com/photos/buffy-foster/ || https://buffyfostersblog.wordpress.com/

Mathijs Kok just posted that the entire development team has been let go.  If true very sorry for the people involved; but i wonder if it signals bigger issues at DTG?

Ian R Tyldesley

I'm not surprised but I'm still disappointed. I'm still grateful to DTG for providing a version of FSX that worked on my old Windows 7 craptop as my boxed edition wouldn't work regardless of anything I tried.

It is funny though since I purchased a new gaming rig with more than enough juice to run FSW and I was just considering making the purchase until I saw this thread and the one on the Steam forums. I was thinking about buying it last week but I was still busy installing all of my FSX add ons. :biggrin: My pessimism  saved me!

I have P3Dv4, AF2 and FSW, and although I use P3D primarily, I was really hoping FSW developers would drop their guards and let other 3rd party developers on board. Its too bad it had to come to this. I thought it  had huge amounts of potential. For  now, its all P3D4....AF2 still has a few more years to go

Edited by troyboy66

Troy Kemp

Win 10 64 Pro on 1TB PCIE + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv4.5 HF3 on 1TB ssd + 250GB ssd P3D addon / i7 8700K@ 5.1ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz OC @3733mhz/ ASUS Maximus X Code /ASUS GTX 1070 Strix,