Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[25APR18] New Product Reveal at FlightSim Expo'18 - Las Vegas 09JUN18

Pardon me if this has already been answered (search for "multiple legs" didn't turn up anything relevant). My question is regarding doing multiple legs with the same airframe without checking the aircraft back in. Robert did a great job of explaining how GFO handles the completion of a flight as well as how to set one up, but if I wanted to do a few sectors on an aircraft I'd like to know if the system supports this or if I'd have to check the aircraft back out every time and risk losing my time with it. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DeltaMikeKilo said:

Pardon me if this has already been answered (search for "multiple legs" didn't turn up anything relevant). My question is regarding doing multiple legs with the same airframe without checking the aircraft back in. Robert did a great job of explaining how GFO handles the completion of a flight as well as how to set one up, but if I wanted to do a few sectors on an aircraft I'd like to know if the system supports this or if I'd have to check the aircraft back out every time and risk losing my time with it. 

You will be able to fly multiple legs

• Like 1

Same times aircplans crashed, because pilot errors, engine problems, gears, weather  and so on, what happens in this case in GFO ?

Manfred Maier

Regards

Manfred Maier

7 minutes ago, mmaier said:

Same times aircplans crashed, because pilot errors, engine problems, gears, weather  and so on, what happens in this case in GFO ?

Manfred Maier

You fly...carefully.

Seriously though, it's an interesting question. Would the airframe be permanently deleted from the library in the case of hull loss?

What's the deal with Crash Detection settings?

Edited by Guest

Gents,

What is completely sad is that those of your that are bemoaning this announcement because it is not what you thought it was / hoping it was - is that you are going to miss out on what will (likely) be the most authentic simulation of real world airline operations. 

Most of you have not had the good fortune (as some of us) to operate in these environments and use these systems on a day by day basis and feel their positive effects on the decrease in pilot / controller / dispatcher workload.  The seamless integration of ACARS and CPDLC systems in the modern airlines is nothing short of amazing.  Being able to talk to maintenance while airborne or company dispatch is wonderful and man how times have changed.  I can fondly remember my days on the Dash and calling up YYZ clearance delivery in the middle of morning rush hour - only to be told that "Clearance is on request - you are number 10".  Now, its a push of a button!!!  Fast forward (quite) a few years and now we are over the North Atlantic - again, MAJOR workload reducer for the Gander and Shanwick controllers.

Further to this - being able to find an aircraft in "not quite the correct state" because the outgoing crew was tired after 14 hours across the pond and didnt leave the switches in the correct spot - will force you guys to do as we do and use.the.checklist.every.time.  Again, this will add another amazing (simulate) real world element to your desktop flying.  Further to this, the maintenance side of things is amazing too.  Again - the previous crew taught the earth a lesson and drove the aircraft in to the ground and the tire developed a small leak that wasnt detected when they shut the aircraft down for the night - you arrive to pick it up and your first officer (or skipper - depending on who's leg it is) discovers a low tire during the walk around or it shows up on the EICAS during power on!!

In closing - please do not underestimate the value in Global Flight Operations.  The level of realism that this will add to your sims will - like all PMDG products - probably blow you away.

Just my two cents (or three if you are in Canada - USD is worth more)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If you do not like the thought of someone flying "your" plane (or if you do not like the thought of having to fly a plane from an airport that you do not want to visit), then I would respectfully suggest that Global Flight Operations is not for you.

• Upvote 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

11 minutes ago, AirCanada235 said:

The seamless integration of ACARS and CPDLC systems in the modern airlines is nothing short of amazing.

This is very similar to what a friend of mine with ANZ (he is a TERPS/Airspace kind of guy) said about a recent ride alone on a B787 to Nadi (Fuji).  His comment was how immersive the data environment is in modern aviation and that will be the goal of GFO.  I was on board immediately.  Sure, I'll still want to take my B736 BBJ out for a holiday trip with friends and family, or take the DC6 over to David Wayne Hooks (Houston) for a hamburger, but my ACA B77L trips CYVR-YSSY are going to be much more interesting.

Dan Downs KCRP

30 minutes ago, AirCanada235 said:

Gents,

What is completely sad is that those of your that are bemoaning this announcement because it is not what you thought it was / hoping it was - is that you are going to miss out on what will (likely) be the most authentic simulation of real world airline operations. 

Most of you have not had the good fortune (as some of us) to operate in these environments and use these systems on a day by day basis and feel their positive effects on the decrease in pilot / controller / dispatcher workload.  The seamless integration of ACARS and CPDLC systems in the modern airlines is nothing short of amazing.  Being able to talk to maintenance while airborne or company dispatch is wonderful and man how times have changed.  I can fondly remember my days on the Dash and calling up YYZ clearance delivery in the middle of morning rush hour - only to be told that "Clearance is on request - you are number 10".  Now, its a push of a button!!!  Fast forward (quite) a few years and now we are over the North Atlantic - again, MAJOR workload reducer for the Gander and Shanwick controllers.

Further to this - being able to find an aircraft in "not quite the correct state" because the outgoing crew was tired after 14 hours across the pond and didnt leave the switches in the correct spot - will force you guys to do as we do and use.the.checklist.every.time.  Again, this will add another amazing (simulate) real world element to your desktop flying.  Further to this, the maintenance side of things is amazing too.  Again - the previous crew taught the earth a lesson and drove the aircraft in to the ground and the tire developed a small leak that wasnt detected when they shut the aircraft down for the night - you arrive to pick it up and your first officer (or skipper - depending on who's leg it is) discovers a low tire during the walk around or it shows up on the EICAS during power on!!

In closing - please do not underestimate the value in Global Flight Operations.  The level of realism that this will add to your sims will - like all PMDG products - probably blow you away.

Just my two cents (or three if you are in Canada - USD is worth more)

All very interesting - but none of it either confirmed or denied by PMDG to be implemented in GFO' ACARS and CPDLC systems integration.

A case of hold your horses is in order I think to await exact depth modelling/ maintenance, etc. i.e; pretty sure neither my PMDG 737 NGX or 777LR/F has ever drawn my attention to a low tyre pressure - either on EICAS or visually on the walk around despite always leaving both in a persistent state by virtue of flight Save in FSX.

Truth is - we simply don't know the depth of the modelling of the systems to paint such a complicated immersive environment such as you do above. Don't get me wrong - I love the GFO concept and can't wait to implement it in my sim - but there's no mileage in allowing one to fly away on whims and expectations based on what appears to be speculation.

Unless of course, you're beta testing for PMDG - in which case you need to state as much in your sig.

That having been said - this is Kyle's work - it's going to be pretty damn amazing. One can not easily forget in one of his 777 Tips and tricks YT's - when he repeatedly slews the T7 back along the runway in order to demonstrate tyres blowing out following repeated RTO's. The man's attention to detail will be the making of this PMDG enhancement and I can't wait to acquire it.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, ganter said:

All very interesting - but none of it either confirmed or denied by PMDG to be implemented in GFO' ACARS and CPDLC systems integration.

A case of hold your horses is in order I think to await exact depth modelling/ maintenance, etc.. i.e; pretty sure neither my PMDG 737 NGX or 777LR/F has ever drawn my attention to a low tyre pressure - either on EICAS or visually on the walk around depsite always leaving both in a persistent state by virtue of flight Save in FSX.

Truth is - we simply don't know the depth of the modelling of the systems to paint such a complicated immersive environment such as you do above. Don't get me wrong - I love the GFO concept and can't wait to implement it in my sim - but there's no mileage in allowing one to fly away on whims and expectations based on what appears to be speculation.

Unless of course, you're beta testing for PMDG - in which case you need to state as much in your sig.

Nope - not a beta tester at all - just someone with a plethora of experience. All of my statements were assumptions based on the FlightSim Expo event.  But...we shall see

A solution to the issue of not having an airplane at the location you want is some kind of clearinghouse where a pilot can request a particular airplane at a certain location and another pilot can volunteer to ferry it there. Of course, this doesn't guarantee you'll get the airplane at the time you'd like (or that you'd get it at all), but it would make it more likely to happen. I, for one, would gladly fly some of these ferry flights, knowing that someone at the other end would handsomely remunerate me be grateful.

This functionality doesn't even need to be within GFO; a third party could set up a website to do so. It's something I'd consider doing myself except that I sadly don't have the requisite skills. My coding experience ends in 1983 with Commodore BASIC. 😪

Walter Meier

3 minutes ago, AirCanada235 said:

Nope - not a beta tester at all - just someone with a plethora of experience. All of my statements were assumptions based on the FlightSim Expo event.  But...we shall see

And your experience is highly respected as a RW pilot. We shall see indeed - if everything you suggest is in there - and let's sincerely hope so - it will be incredible. The immersion will be truly fantastic. Can't wait.

1 minute ago, ganter said:

And your experience is highly respected as a RW pilot. We shall see indeed - if everything you suggest is in there - and let's sincerely hope so - it will be incredible. The immersion will be truly fantastic. Can't wait.

Ganter - just for clarification - this is where I got my information from. This is where I was also putting 2 and 2 together and “trying” to come up with 4 - but you know as well as I do that the PMDG boys march to their own drum so who knows what will make it in to the final release. 

https://fselite.net/news/pmdg-announces-global-flight-operations/

• Upvote 1

For those with concerns about griefing, all I'm going to say at this point is this:

Setting up the database of planes, and the interfaces between you and the server was relatively easy. I had that done three years ago. Since then, we've been working on making the system more fault tolerant, adding features, and most importantly, making sure everyone has an enjoyable - though challenging - experience. In other words, I get that these issues all seem scary, pressing, pertinent, and new to you as they're filtering into your mind, but we're way ahead of you (keep in mind that one of my first jobs here was to moderate the forum, which is basically a crash course in Observing People Grief Other People, so I have an experiential vantage point). We've already thought these things through (honestly, there's only been one thing that I've adjusted ever so slightly after I read one person's threat that they would do something). Some of how we respond will adjust with time - I know people will try to grief, but the degree to which people do so is an unknown to all of us - as such, how we handle it will be an evolving process as we see it happening. I don't want to go into too much detail about what we've protected against, and how, as I don't want to give people ideas, and I don't want people using that as a checklist of things to go try.

Keep in mind, though:

I built tools to get all of the planes in there, and properly place them around the world so that it's not (as much of ) a pain to set up a new plane when it's time to add one. Part of that is a tool to reset things if people get abusive. The issue isn't as much that you're "sticking it to the man." It's more an issue of being a jerk to the next user.

...so...

Golden Rule it. Not for me, but for the next user, because I can nearly guarantee that none of you want to be the next person in line after someone thought they were sticking it to PMDG, when in fact, they were just ruining the day of the next person in line.

-----

For those of you asking for alterations to how we handle things, I will point back to the purpose of the product (which, I will admit, it probably still a bit fuzzy for some of you). Global Flight Ops isn't meant to be someone's own personal flight log, with their own personal fleet. It's meant to expose people more to how planes exist out in the real world: shared resources that multiple people use, day-in and day-out, while interacting with automated functions aware of those other people (gate assignments, for example, are sent out with the awareness that the server just assigned B50 to the last guy, so it won't assign it to you).

The GFO Lite concept, while an interesting idea, would be completely new software that would have to be custom-written in order to provide ACARS and CPDLC functions without reaching out to our server. This isn't something that we can just put into a can and hand people - it'd have to be its own project, with significant effort to develop.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

so, what im curious about are two things at this point:

1. what is the thereshold gonna be for a VirtualAirline to "apply" to get their stuff into GFO, also is there gonna be a cost associated with that, one time or monthly etc. and what are the general criteria.

2. i generally fly fictional airline liveries from the fictional VA im a member of, will i be able as a standalone user to just add "my" plane to GFO and use it (knowing that others can too!) or how is that going to work?

it looks very very promising and im very much looking forward to it but the two things above concern me most at the moment, thanks

Tobias

4 minutes ago, TheLurk said:

1. what is the thereshold gonna be for a VirtualAirline to "apply" to get their stuff into GFO, also is there gonna be a cost associated with that, one time or monthly etc. and what are the general criteria.

Yet to be set in concrete, but there will obviously be requirements of some sort.

5 minutes ago, TheLurk said:

2. i generally fly fictional airline liveries from the fictional VA im a member of, will i be able as a standalone user to just add "my" plane to GFO and use it (knowing that others can too!) or how is that going to work?

Provided the VA meets the minimum requirements above, we can work with them as an entire VA entity, where the VA approaches us, sets this up, and manages a few things after we set them up.

Kyle Rodgers