Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Thinking about x-plane: What are the best faster GA aircraft?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting X-Plane and am wondering what aircraft are good.  I'm probably going to have questions about the other types but, for now, I'm thinking about faster GA.  I know there's a new Mooney (woot!) in early-release and a TBM950 coming (double woot!)  Both of these look good!  What else is out there?

Thanks in advance.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

There's the Epic E1000. I don't own it personally but I've heard rave reviews. Aerobask is one of the best GA devs for XP. 

http://store.x-plane.org/Epic-E1000-Skyview-v2_p_478.html

However, I do own Aerobask's DA-62 and I have to say it's absolutely excellent. A little on the pricey side for a GA plane but well worth the money. 

Edited by hmn434

48 minutes ago, hmn434 said:

There's the Epic E1000. I don't own it personally but I've heard rave reviews. Aerobask is one of the best GA devs for XP. 

http://store.x-plane.org/Epic-E1000-Skyview-v2_p_478.html

However, I do own Aerobask's DA-62 and I have to say it's absolutely excellent. A little on the pricey side for a GA plane but well worth the money. 

Thanks.  These are great looking aircraft (including the 550).  The thing I'm puzzled about is the avionics.  The real E1000 seems to come with a G1000.  The 550 also seems to come with a different set of avionics than the sim version.  Am I missing something?

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Check Carenado. Lots and growing list of GAs of varying speeds such as the E50 Phenom 100 or PC12. 

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

5 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

Check Carenado. Lots and growing list of GAs of varying speeds such as the E50 Phenom 100 or PC12. 

Hi Lenny,

How are Carenado on X-Plane?  They've been hit and miss on P3D...mostly miss and I've learned to just give them a pass over time.  E.g. they never could get a handle on how to implement a turboprop on P3D.  Could be a different story on X-Plane since they have a different turboprop modelling and much of the avionics are already part of the sim.

Gregg Seipp

Gregg,

If you are looking for an A2A alike in X-Plane, have a look at simcoders, they have realistic flight models & engine dynamics for certain default or commercial add on (Carenado,etc.)

John

Anything from aerobask wont disappoint, i have 4 of their aircraft and they are my daily flyers.

45 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Hi Lenny,

How are Carenado on X-Plane?  They've been hit and miss on P3D...mostly miss and I've learned to just give them a pass over time.  E.g. they never could get a handle on how to implement a turboprop on P3D.  Could be a different story on X-Plane since they have a different turboprop modelling and much of the avionics are already part of the sim.

Carenado's planes are actually much, much better in XP11. They're ported over by Dan Klaue and his team Thranda, a very well respected developer in XP11. They basically take the modeling/textures of the FSX/P3D version and gut the rest, so all the flight dynamics/gauges/systems can be more accurately called Thranda's rather than Carenado's They're no A2A, but Carenado's XP ports are still very good, mostly bug free mid-level sims. Also, the developer is very friendly, helpful, and active on the org forums, unlike Carenado who's support isn't that great. 

Check out the Carenado PC-12, that's my main ride in the FSEconomy game. The XP11 version (make sure you get that one, not the v10) has high-res textures, PBR reflections, and good turboprop modeling. Also support for the optional RealityXP GTN750 if you want more than the stock GNS530.

Only drawback is it's a bit heavy on frame rate compared to other GA payware I have, but still flyable at 35-40 fps minimum on my not terribly impressive rig.

Edit to add: There are some minor sound glitches in the current release. Carenado has fixed it, along with maybe some other tweaks, but is waiting for XP 11.20 to go final before releasing the update. Should happen any day now.

Edited by Paraffin

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I'd look at the Aerobask Panthera.  It does about 190 ktas at 8000.

Also I enjoy their Eclipse 550.

Carenado's C210 with REP is more a2a style.

Also don't overlook the Vflyteair Twin Comanche PA30.

Finally, RXP has gns and gtn units in xp.  It's fairly simple to replace stock x plane gns with the rxp one but it's more complex to change to a GTN.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Carenado work and look better (crisper textures). The altitude and vertical speed selector works more realistically. Like Paraffin the PC 12 paired with the realityxp 750 is my favorite. Once you pair that with Orthoxp, Orbx textures will look mediocre though I still use P3Dv4 with most of orbx stuff. Like Ryanatcund the aerobask AC are awesome. I remember you ryanatcund you were the first to respond to my post on changing to XP11. I am amazed how all that realistic road traffic in XP11 has little impact on frames like it does in fsx and p3dv4. Go ahead Greg and make the leap. You will love it.

:P Timothy Murphy

I have both the Aerobask Epic 1000 and DA62 - everything works and, if your a glass cockpit fan, you'll love these.

Thanks for the replies guys.  I do have the PC12 in P3D though I only flew it twice due to nonworking switches and an unrealistic engine model...ITT going down with altitude if I recall.  I *would* like to see how the PA42  or the C441 do in X-Plane.  Aerobask does look intriguing.  

Also, there are two Mooneys...Alabeo which gets good reviews and the prerelease Advanced Flight Modelling which comes with a steam Ovation 2 and a G1000 Ovation 3.  Curious if anyone's tried either.

Gregg Seipp

AFM also offers the Mooney Acclaim S, so you get 3 planes in one package.

Mooneys are nice, but not exactly fast compared to a PC-12. 😉

If it's sexy and fast you want, short of the biz jets, go for the Carenado PC-12 or wait for the TBM 850. 

Another one to consider, maybe not a first choice but while building out your payware fleet, is the Mitsubishi MU-2 from X-Aviation. That thing is a real rocket for a turboprop twin, and a challenge to land due to the wing design. It's slippery on final approach, more like flying light jets. It's an older XP10 model upgraded to XP11, still with a few issues, but flyable. Very interesting aircraft.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor