Sign in to follow this  
morpheous

Steering Tiller disconnected from Rudder

Hello, 

Is it possible to assign an axis to the steering tiller and not have the rudder pedals move along with it? 

I have a joystick axis that I've assigned to the steering tiller but it also moves the rudder so when I go to apply brakes via the rudder pedals the steering is immediately centered as that is the position of my rudder pedals when the brakes are applied and the steering control is then assigned back to my pedals, hence it would be nice if they behaved as they do in real life and are not connected.

I've searched the internet but can 't find an answer to this.

Cheers,

Jim V

Jim Vasto

I use the steering facilities of fsuicp, it works well. There is a limitation in fs and p3d but it works well for me Inside the cokpit (not sure outside). Above 60 Knt the steering tiller become ineffective.

Guillaume LE MENTEC

P3DV4.3/Windows 10/i5 4670 K@4.2

If you are using P3Dv4 there is a dedicated steering axis in the P3Dv4 axis settings. It works in the DC-6 and 747-400 for me, no idea if the older NGX also supports this.

I have FSUIPC and it does control the steering tiller but it also moves the rudder so my question is is there a way to control the tiller without moving the rudder? 

PS I do not have autorudder enabled.

thanks

Jim

Jim Vasto

Look for an assignment called steering set or something like that. I’m away from home so I can’t check the proper term right now. I believe that will give you the desired results. 

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

no.

not without moving/actually using the rudder pedals. the 737 is an old addon that doesn't take advantage of later technologies. 

You can assign the tiller but as soon as your hardware rudders send a pike or come out of their null zone while braking they will overwrite the tiller and always the last moved axis will have priority.. No way around it... BTW this has been answered several times in this forum over the last few months ^^ 

1 hour ago, Ralgh said:

Look for an assignment called steering set or something like that. I’m away from home so I can’t check the proper term right now. I believe that will give you the desired results. 

Yes, in P3Dv4 the assignment is called Axis Steering Set. I don't think it exists in earlier P3D versions, certainly not FSX. In those cases you have to use FSUIPC to assign the tiller input. In P3Dv4 if you assign your tiller axis to Axis Steering Set the rudder does not move with the tiller. Pedal and tiller inputs to the nosewheel steering are summed so a small pedal input won't override the tiller input and cause it to centre.

1 hour ago, Ephedrin said:

You can assign the tiller but as soon as your hardware rudders send a pike or come out of their null zone while braking they will overwrite the tiller and always the last moved axis will have priority.. No way around it... BTW this has been answered several times in this forum over the last few months ^^

Strange, it works for me using P3Dv4's steering assignment.

ki9cAAb.jpg

2 hours ago, Ralgh said:

That did the trick, thanks!

Jim V

Jim Vasto

1 hour ago, kevinh said:

Strange, it works for me using P3Dv4's steering assignment.

I had tried it once with 4.1.. There it didn't work for me but I use FSUIPC with axes set as "send to FSUIPC etc". Maybe I should give it a try again too. I have an axis left 😄

Team

further to your aboves, I noticed the following in the sdk ..... & wondered what effect / action it has on the use of the tiller & rudder. it seems to be associated with a "click spot" on the tiller axis.

// Nose Wheel Steering
#define EVT_NOSE_WHEEL_STEERING_SWITCH   (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 325) 
#define EVT_NOSE_WHEEL_STEERING_SWITCH_GUARD (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 326) 
#define EVT_TILLER        (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 975) 

any thoughts / knowledge would be appreciated.

for now, cheers

john martin

Marc

PMDG's SDK. 

for now, cheers

john martin

The first two are probably the alternate nose gear steering.

The second is the manual click and drag.

You know that what the preprocessor command define means?

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:04 PM, vadriver said:

#define EVT_TILLER        (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 975) 

any thoughts / knowledge would be appreciated.

team

have asked pmdg support about the above & hoping to hear whatever soon irrespective of the following.

in the meantime, pete dowson has an "Interim release 5.132c includes a new parameter alongside MaxSteerSpeed: "RudderBlendLowest". This gives a ground speed below which the rudder input is used fully with no tiller use. The parameter defaults to 1 knot, so the aircraft needs to be stationary (or very close to stationary)."

works well in the ngx with "fsuipc direct to tiller/rudder" axis along with the above and MSS.

for now, cheers

john martin