Posted (edited)

Intel is commemorating 40 years of its 8086 processor, the spiritual ancestor of the x86 machine architecture that rules modern computing, with a special edition socket LGA1151 processor, dubbed Core i7-8086K. The chip appears to feature a nominal clock speed of 4.00 GHz, with a maximum Turbo Boost frequency of 5.00 GHz, making it the first mainstream desktop processor from Intel to hit the 5.00 GHz mark, out of the box. 

Rumour has it that the first Intel CPU to hit 5 GHz might soon be with us.  it might be available later this year. 

Bear in mind lads though, this is the max turbo frequency, so it will Turbo to 5 GHz on one core, and somewhat less on the other cores. That's how Turbo works. Don't assume it will be 5 GHz on all cores because it won't. Switch on MCE and it would be 5 GHz on all cores.

Good news is that it is obviously a cherry picked, binned, CPU, so will probably have more overclocking headroom than the 8700K  it's based on.

Anybody about to build a new rig, and doesn't mind waiting  a few months, might want to hold on a while. As long as the rumours are confirmed of course. 

https://www.techradar.com/news/intels-5ghz-toting-core-i7-8086k-anniversary-processor-listed-by-retailers

https://www.techpowerup.com/244673/intel-core-i7-8086k-listed-first-5-00-ghz-processor

Edited by martin-w

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This speculation at the moment until someone gets there hands on one, no chip has a 5ghz TB users push past the stated TB at there own risk, which begs the question how high will this go.  

Posted (edited)

Rumour yes for now. Based on online retailer listings. This has been speculated for some months now. The latest evidence gives it more credence. 

no chip has a 5ghz TB users push past the stated TB at there own risk

4.7 GHz for my 8700K.

The new chip if it arrives is based on the same architecture, so just a 300 MHz jump on one core, so perfectly feasible. Given how common 5 GHz Coffee Lake chips are, Intel speed binning them to 5 GHz for the anniversary chip seems reasonable.

which begs the question how high will this go.  

I bet some will be wondering if they'll solder them. Doubtful given how the Coffee Lake production line is set up for TIM, but you never know. I'm betting solder or delid, perhaps up to 5.3 to 5.4. But who knows. 

Edited by martin-w

Thanks for the heads-up, Martin,as I was looking to replace current rig. So, will wait.

Posted (edited)

Looks like it won't be soldered. As I suspected. So hang on to your delliding tools chaps.

OCUK here in the UK have apparently said it will be under 400 quid.

Pre order will be 8th June.

Edited by martin-w

Since the fps in P3D/FSX greatly depends on the performance(IPC*clocks with cache size problem) than any other factor, this will be great budget CPU to run P3D/FSX!

this will be great budget CPU

It wont be a "budget" CPU. It will be more expensive than the 8700K it's based on. 🙂

Intel just put out about a new CPU sporting 28 cores for next year.

18 hours ago, rjfry said:

Intel just put out about a new CPU sporting 28 cores for next year.

What the hell. This is getting bonkers now. 🙂

Yes they did a demo of it running 28 cores 56 threads at 5ghz cinebench score 7356.  

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, rjfry said:

Yes they did a demo of it running 28 cores 56 threads at 5ghz cinebench score 7356.  

Yes but it was all BS. 🙂 It's just an old Zeon they have dragged up and are marketing it as a new CPU. And the 5 GHz is nonsense, that was done with a chiller running at minus 10C.

Intel must be really panicking to pull a trick like that.

More here...

Edited by martin-w

Posted (edited)

In case you haven't heard, the 8086K is now confirmed.

https://ark.intel.com/products/148263/Intel-Core-i7-8086K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-5_00-GH

It will be limited edition with 50,000 units initially released.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/270723-intel-announces-limited-edition-core-i7-8086k-new-28-core-cpu

The new core isn’t just a top-end SKU, however — it’s a limited edition CPU, with just 50,000 parts planned at this point. Intel isn’t revealing all of the turbo frequencies, but we’ve seen speculation online that the chip will have a 4.6GHz all-core turbo frequency.

Speculated that all core Turbo will be 4.6 GHz and 5 GHz on one or two cores. 

Chance to win an 8086K...

https://game.intel.com/8086sweepstakes/gb/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt_epu4TE2wIV1ojVCh0QiA7AEAAYASAAEgLCrfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#?cid=sem[*TrackerID*]&intel_term=[*searchterm*]

Edited by martin-w

In case you don't know Intel are giving away 8,086 CPUs but you need to enter today at intel, you may be lucky and get one for free I entered an hour ago.

Just bought the i7 8086K at $429 at Best Buy.  Pick up next Thurs.  Have a Z370 Board incoming too on Sunday.  Will keep all my other components (see specs) and transfer over to Z370 and then sell the 'old' i7 and Z270 MB.  Not looking forward to reinstalling everything but part of the process of ungrading. 

no need to reinstall...   I've  just completed a   CPU / MB   install and went like clockwork.   Had to re authenticate  WIN10 of course...

Hope it all goes well for you,

aero

13 hours ago, aerostar said:

no need to reinstall...   I've  just completed a   CPU / MB   install and went like clockwork.   Had to re authenticate  WIN10 of course...

Hope it all goes well for you,

aero

Thanks for that information!  I hope it is that easy for me too!

23 hours ago, rjfry said:

In case you don't know Intel are giving away 8,086 CPUs but you need to enter today at intel, you may be lucky and get one for free I entered an hour ago.

Yep, I posted the link for the giveaway.

15 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Just bought the i7 8086K at $429 at Best Buy.  Pick up next Thurs.  Have a Z370 Board incoming too on Sunday.  Will keep all my other components (see specs) and transfer over to Z370 and then sell the 'old' i7 and Z270 MB.  Not looking forward to reinstalling everything but part of the process of ungrading. 

Keep us posted re performance Jim. Will be interesting to see how Turbo is working on the new CPU. In regard to how many cores reach max turbo 5 GHz and what frequency the others clock to, with MCE off of course. Be interesting to see how well it overclocks too, temps etc.

40 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Thanks for that information!  I hope it is that easy for me too!

LOL  I just uninstalled Prepared V4, deactivated my PMDG stuff and uninstalled the mobo drivers on my Haswell and then put the drives into my new Coffee build .... I was up and running..er flying, within a 1/2 hour.

note:This was with Win7

41 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

LOL  I just uninstalled Prepared V4, deactivated my PMDG stuff and uninstalled the mobo drivers on my Haswell and then put the drives into my new Coffee build .... I was up and running..er flying, within a 1/2 hour.

note:This was with Win7

Not understanding.  Aerostar just installed the CPU/MB, restarted the system, activated Windows 10 again, and was up and running.  No uninstall of P3D or anything else.

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

In regard to how many cores reach max turbo 5 GHz and what frequency the others clock to, with MCE off of course.

With a system running at 5GHz, I am not all that concerned with the frequency of all of the cores (unless of course Prepar3D and addon developers programmed their activities for specific cores).  The max turbo freq is going to be 5GHz and that's going to be nice.  I'm just hoping it will be compatible with Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26103/Intel-Turbo-Boost-Max-Technology-3-0.  Right now it is not shown as compatible.  This is the tech that Rob (Ainscough) showed off where he would fly low over cities and everything would render immediately, even in an airliner. No blurries and nothing to catch up with the rendering.  Boom!  It rendered and was there! That's all I care about.  With my i7 7700K, it uses the Turbo Boost Max Tech 2.0 and it does a good job too but I want the latest and greatest.

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

Not understanding.  Aerostar just installed the CPU/MB, restarted the system, activated Windows 10 again, and was up and running.  No uninstall of P3D or anything else.

yeah, I could've just straight out installed the Haswell drives into the Coffee Lake but I didn't want to risk activation issues with P3d and the PMDG. Anyway, my point is Prepared V4 is not the reinstall hassle that earlier versions were. Upgrading hardware on sim rigs is not a big deal.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Jim Young said:

With a system running at 5GHz, I am not all that concerned with the frequency of all of the cores (unless of course Prepar3D and addon developers programmed their activities for specific cores). 

I don't sim anymore Jim, so I wasn't referring to the sim. I'm interested in how Turbo behaves "with MCE off" purely out of curiosity, from a hardware enthusiasts perspective. Intel these days are very tight lipped about frequencies of cores not running at max Turbo.

Regarding frequency of the cores that aren't running at max turbo, it's not really relevant to most enthusiasts, because we will be either manually overclocking  or have MCE (Multi Core Enhancement) on. With MCE on all cores will run at max turbo. 

If not running with MCE on, or manually overclocking, just running at stock, then non turbo core frequency is of interest. Because regardless to whether P3D emphasises one core more than the others, or all cores equally, we are disadvantaged if they are running at a lower frequency than max turbo.

I would switch on MCE (Multi Core Enhancement) so that all cores run at max Turbo, 5 GHz in this case. Adequate cooling required of course.

my i7 7700K, it uses the Turbo Boost Max Tech 2.0 and it does a good job too but I want the latest and greatest.

It's Turbo Boost 2.0 for Coffee Lake, and of course the 8086K is a binned Coffee lake 8700K, so Turbo Boost 2.0.

Turbo Boost 2.0 or 3.0 is irrelevant though to be honest, if  you are manually overclocking or running with MCE on. With MCE on  it doesn't matter if it's Turbo Boost 2.0 or 3.0. All cores will run at max turbo.

It's in the data sheet re Turbo Boost 2.0.

https://ark.intel.com/products/148263/Intel-Core-i7-8086K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-5_00-GHz

Edited by martin-w

@martin-w

Thanks for the info.  Just completed the MB and CPU swap.  Now have i7 8086 and the ASUS Maximus X MB installed.  When I started up, I was not asked to reactivate Windows 10 but Microsoft Office/Outlook asked for me to verify my account.

Swapping out the MB and CPU took longer than expected (picked up the CPU yesterday).  I had to remove the cooler and about everything in the case to replace the MB.  Then cleaned it up and put everything back together and making sure all of the connections were made for the HDD/SSD's.  I have a mid-tower case from CoolMaster and things were tight. 

I've got to take a break but hope to get it properly turbo boosted and then do some benchmark testing.  Read some reviews and many "experts" think the CPU is the same as the i7 8700K and I was stupid to get this particular CPU.  They said all cores could not be turbo boosted to 5.0 but then had to eat their words when many other "experts" stated they had successfully gotten all cores to 5.0GHz.  Again, just one at 5.0 is fine with me.  When I read reviews out there, it seems many of the reviewers have major issues with Intel and try to do everything they can to make the Corporation look stupid and foolish in everything they do.  Those I tend to disregard as "experts".

Thanks again for the info!  BTW, Rob Ainscough likes the new CPU a lot.

Best regards,

Jim