Sign in to follow this  
Guest LAX5x5

Is anyone else content with Flight Simulator 2004?

I'm currently running FS9 with DX10 under 64 bit Vista Beta 2 with no problem. The video drivers supplied with Vista handle my 7800GTX's but there is no way to change the settings.George

>I'm currently running FS9 with DX10 under 64 bit Vista Beta 2>with no problem. The video drivers supplied with Vista handle>my 7800GTX's but there is no way to change the settings.>>George>You mean DX9, of course, as DX10 has not been released and there is no hardware available to run it.

On a side note:I am definitely not content with FS2004. It has brought tons of enjoyment, and I have used it because it was the best choice out there, but for most part, VFR flying was somewhat dismal for me.And being as I don't particularly think very much of paying for user made mods (I have cracked once or twice before), I don't have any sort of investment riding with FS9.So, absolutely, bring on the new.

Guest Dakota

Unless it is something absolutely super fantastico that is far beyond what we have today and runs on my system, I will probably hold off for quite awhile. I am still buying add-ons for FS2004 and if they don't easily tranfer over to FSX, then for me, FS2004 will be the baseline I use until they don't sell FS2004 add-ons anymore. I have too much invested to just leave it all behind. Besides, I figure, just like FS2004, it is going to take a while for eveyone to figure out the correct setting and ways to tweak it, patches etc. etc. I will just fly FS2004 till all that get figured out.

Content with my addons (but those will be ported to FSX...)Not content with many problems FS9 has - occasional CTDs, blurries, shimmering, low performance with many clouds even on my system...

>>>You mean DX9, of course, as DX10 has not been released and>there is no hardware available to run it.>No, I mean DX10 which is installed with Vista. My 512Mb 7800GTXs can run the Aero Glass theme, but for FS9 I need to reduce it to Vista Basic. This is a limitation of the drivers supplied by MS, there are no drivers available from nVidia.George

Guest Keyno-onyeK

I feel like a toddler with all the toys i can hold with my own two hands, but i keep looking at that big red one over there. The very shinny one.I will go for the FSX when i know what system i can build to accept Windows Vista and Video cards that will work with DirectX 10.I remember not wanting to let go of FS2002.Keyno

I'm one of those guys who knows the sim inside out now. Pretty much what every file and folder does - except the BACKUP folder. I'm scared of that....It will be a shame to throw all that invested knowledge away. I'll be grabbing FSx for sure, but will have the 9 running for a while yet! Plenty of life left in the OLD DOG! Fetch, you bugger.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

LOL, the Backup folder was created when you patched to FS9.1. By now it is very safe to delete it!Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development Team Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/AirSource Member: http://www.air-source.us/FSEconomy Member:http://www.fseconomy.com/

I love FS2004 and feel this will probably be the last generation of MSFS for me that I tweak, fix, patch, and add-on the way I've done since FS95 which was my first sim 9 years ago. I loved FS2002 as well, but got FS2004 because the timing was right and I was curious. I've invested about $5,000 in my PC and maybe $700 to $1,000 in add-ons in FS2004 and I don't plan to repeat this -- ever. No more new PC, no more hardware, no more PC engineering, etc. for my sim hobby.I said a long time ago that if FS2004 was as good as it gets and was the last gen sim to ever be released, I'd go to my grave happy and satisfied. It's been a slice !I might get FSX as a curiosity and use it for pure VFR flight with default. But that's about it.[i will bet a thousand bucks that within 7 days of the release of FSX, there will be third party replacement of one or all of FSX's birds, cows, people, trees, ship masts, reflective rain water surfaces, and waving palm trees. I don't want ANY of it ! ]JS

Just to add a kind of P.S.I'll bet informally one hundred dollars that within 7 days of the release of FSX, there will be third party replacement cattle, people, birds, ships, trees, rainwater reflections, and telegraph poles. Leave me out of it !JS

If, and that WILL happen, FSGenesis, PMDG 747, Squawkbox, ASv6 and BAV Modules (ACARS and OSP) are FSX compatible, I will be changing without thinking. Others like LDS and PSS will surely follow very quickly. I am sure I will be content with current new texturing in FSX until Ultimate Terrain and other airports get updated...The whole transition will be like it was FS2002 to FS2004. Everyone saying they will keep FS2002, and IRL, most of them will have copies of FSX and FS2004 will be almost forgotten...

>>I might get FSX as a curiosity and use it for pure VFR flight with default. But that's about it.<

Roger

See my specs in my profile

>You're skipping the part where your hardware doesn't support>DX10 so it defaults back to DX9.No, I didn't skip that. You said that DX10 hasn't been released yet, I can assure you that it has.