Sign in to follow this  
Luis Hernandez

FTX Global - Base and Vector... your comments?

OK, there's right now a 50% discount (I don't know if this is common for Orbx), and now I considering purchasing both the Base and Vector packs for FSX-SE. What do you think about those packs, regarding VAS and FPS impact?

I understand the visual impact is very good, this is not to be discussed 😉

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Global is a must have, not only will it transform your sim but it can actually improve performance in some situations with little or no impact on VAS. I don't own vector but have read that if you have all the options turned on then this can affect VAS.

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

Global makes no obvious detriment in my experience but it adds enormously to the immersion. I’d say it’s a “must have”. Install it once, let it backup your original scenery files, and go enjoy without worrying about any impact. I’ve never noticed anything negative.

Vector does indeed add an enormous visual reality to the sim and I don’t ever regret buying it. It is very configurable and you can simply test options until you find the sweet spot for your sim. Configured appropriately to your hardware and add-on load it will work well.

I fly with both all the time and I have Vector profile settings loaded depending upon GA, tube liner, slow, fast, etc. Take time to learn how to make it work for you (which isn’t difficult) and you’ll like it I’m sure. 

Best regards

Rupert

1 hour ago, Luis Hernandez said:

I considering purchasing both the Base and Vector packs for FSX-SE. What do you think about those packs, regarding VAS and FPS impact?

I use the Global base pack for textures and Ultimate Terrain USA for my Vector needs.

Global base is just texture replacements for the ground textures which are the same size as the default textures and will make no FPS or VAS difference and it also adds the autogen point lights for houses and streets/freeways.

ORBX Vector covers he whole world unlike UT which needs to be purchase for certain regions. I only stuck with UT USA and Europe since that is the primary areas that I fly. Either ORBX Vector or UT can have a VAS and FPS issue if you enable too many options.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

8 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Either ORBX Vector or UT can have a VAS and FPS issue if you enable too many options.

Understood.. the hard way: I installed the Iceland demo, and I've found that I can't even keep my framerate stable. Is it there a way to configure the ORBX Iceland demo, specially the vector features? The control panel appears greyed out...

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

The products are good (eventually, when you've got them installed) and the system overhead is not as bad as you might imagine, but the installer/download manager is laughably bad at its job. Expect to be watching a download take forever to complete with a progress bar which provides no real clue as to how long it will really take to complete, and then fail miserably to install properly too, requiring numerous tries etc.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, Chock said:

The products are good (eventually, when you've got them installed) and the system overhead is not as bad as you might imagine, but the installer/download manager is laughably bad at its job. Expect to be watching a download take forever to complete with a progress bar which provides no real clue as to how long it will really take to complete, and then fail miserably to install properly too, requiring numerous tries etc.

strange  that users  have  issues  with  my  pc  upgrade  I had  no issues  in  downloading  all my  orbx  addons  with no issues  into p3dv4

Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I've just purchased, downloaded and installed both Base and Vector packs. After disabling all road traffic-related things (cars, traffic lights), tertiary roads and frozen water surfaces, I'm still dazzled with the improvements to my sim. I mean, I can even find my house by following the roads!😁

The free Orbx mesh for South America is a godsend, taking into account the flags in my signature (and the fact that 90% of my flying is there). Now I need some good landclass, at least for Latin America...

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,

Hi Folks;

i was thinking of getting Ground Environment X NA V2 but after seeing the discounts on ORBX Base I reading the posts, I am rethinking my decision. My criteria is no performance loss over the default and less problematic in terms of compatibility with DX10. I spent too much time tweaking NVIDIA Inspector, DX10 and FSX Config to get my sweet spot and would hate to start again to get ORBX to work due to compatibility "lighting" ssues or otherwise. Most of my flights are at 350 +Ft. (B747) so my textures are for more on the approach in North America not cruising.

I have no scenery add-ons just airports.

I could go either way.

Any thoughts and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

kindest Regards.

Forshaw.