Sign in to follow this  
Satanamax

Missing flight manuals

Hi,

I recently purchased PMDG 777. Amazing beast. Although i'm very happy flying it, it seems that I miss something since I lack some flight manuals. More precisely, in the flight manuals folder, I only have 2 files, the introduction and the tutorial. FCTM, QRH, FCOM 1 and 2 are missing. I have tried opening them through OC but it didn't work. Nothing happened. I also tried to reinstallation but had no more luck. Is there a way to get those manuals? What am I missing?

Thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, Satanamax said:

Hi,

I recently purchased PMDG 777. Amazing beast. Although i'm very happy flying it, it seems that I miss something since I lack some flight manuals. More precisely, in the flight manuals folder, I only have 2 files, the introduction and the tutorial. FCTM, QRH, FCOM 1 and 2 are missing. I have tried opening them through OC but it didn't work. Nothing happened. I also tried to reinstallation but had no more luck. Is there a way to get those manuals? What am I missing?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forums, please note that PMDG requires that users include a signature block with the user's name, first and last, in all posts in the PMDG forum.
Failure to include a signature will result in removal of the post without comment.

We strongly encourage users to set up a signature block in their AVSim user account, then you never have to worry to remember in the future!

I have asked the development team to check. Since they are wrapping the 747-8 it might take a bit to check the issue

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

7 hours ago, Olympic260 said:

Welcome to the forums, please note that PMDG requires that users include a signature block with the user's name, first and last, in all posts in the PMDG forum.
Failure to include a signature will result in removal of the post without comment.

We strongly encourage users to set up a signature block in their AVSim user account, then you never have to worry to remember in the future!

I have asked the development team to check. Since they are wrapping the 747-8 it might take a bit to check the issue

Ok. Thanks for your help. I wanted to try the service based failures feature but I guess I need the QRH to do that correctly.

I've also bought the 777 & 300 ER expansion recently (26th September) and the only two manuals available from the operations center are the Introduction and Tutorial 1. The documentation shows up in the operations center but does not open when clicked. The documentation folder (FSX\PMDG\PMDG 777X\Flight Manuals\) only has two files in it.

I am also now missing these documents.  They were there from and older installation but I uninstalled it to install the latest version and now they are gone.  Seems to be a problem with this latest installer (V1.10.8448), for FSX.  Of interest, the file size of this installer is noticeably smaller than my old installer, by some 50MB, suggesting something is missing.

David, CYXE

On 10/18/2018 at 6:49 AM, SoloPilot said:

I sent a ticket and this is the response:

With each PMDG product, we include a comprehensive tutorial that will teach you how to operate the airplane as is typically done by a modern flight crew.  In the past we have had the opportunity to provide actual technical manuals in addition to the operational tutorial.  We are currently negotiating to renew our license for this additional information and hope to be able to do so again in the near future.   Many users may find various manuals freely available through many sites on the internet.”

This appears to affect the installers for both the 737NGX and 777X product lines. Hopefully this issue can be resolved and new buyers will get the same manuals older buyers have access to.

• Like 1

David, CYXE

This is the response I received from PMDG tech support:

"With each PMDG product, we include a comprehensive tutorial that will teach you how to operate the airplane as is typically done by a modern flight crew.  In the past we have had the opportunity to provide actual technical manuals in addition to the operational tutorial.  We are currently negotiating to renew our license for this additional information and hope to be able to do so again in the near future.   Many users may find various manuals freely available through many sites on the internet."

I then clarified with support that the manuals are no longer provided with the product - at least not until the licensing is sorted out. They're going to have to change their name if they can't get it sorted, it was pretty disappointing.

Anyone got any links to the 'freely available manuals' alluded to above?

9 minutes ago, nz121 said:

Anyone got any links to the 'freely available manuals' alluded to above?

Don‘t post links!!!!!!! 

Those manuals are still copyright and will always be! You may be able (and maybe allowed too) to download them but you’re NOT allowed to share!!!!! 

Use google, they are not hard to find.

Edited by Ephedrin

Well if this is the case that PMDG has removed something which it sold....and was the main reason for buying aircraft from them or at least paying the required price I feel I have been robbed.

• Like 1

Harry Woodrow

29 minutes ago, harrry said:

Well if this is the case that PMDG has removed something which it sold....and was the main reason for buying aircraft from them or at least paying the required price I feel I have been robbed.

PMDG don‘t sell the FCOM and FCTM. They are property of Boeing and were only provided by PMDG who have purchased a license from Boeing to do so. The license seems to have expired. 

I bought (or licenced) a complete package....no limitation of the time of this for any part was given by them. Presumably they have also licenced other technologies in their product, if they had licenced the thrust model would you expect that to be removed?

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

Harry Woodrow

1 hour ago, harrry said:

I bought (or licenced) a complete package....no limitation of the time of this for any part was given by them. Presumably they have also licenced other technologies in their product, if they had licenced the thrust model would you expect that to be removed?

Fair enough and I get your point... But I don‘t know the subtleties of US law. Although I‘d bet that there are differences in the purchased/licensed data they got to model the addon and the real flight manuals Boeing provided. 

Nevertheless, Google‘s your best friend ^^ 

Well I have only recently bought the 777 to add to my 737NGX and QOTS and arrived at the forum looking for an answer to the same problem. The detailed manuals are a fundamental part of PMDG products' competitive advantage, and their price of course.

If the manuals are no longer available their site should say so at the point of purchase. 

I had intended to give myself a Christmas present by buying the -300 and -8 extensions as well but will now keep my money in my wallet.

Hopefully PMDG will be more forthcoming when their licence is renewed, if it is, than when it was revoked.

Rob Stevenson

• Like 1

A year later and the manuals are still missing from the product and the "tutorials are all you need" line is still "good enough."