Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[20SEP18] Where in the world is RSR & the PMDG 747-8?

4 minutes ago, akabam said:

Maybe we won’t get a takeoff calc and it will be like the QW with no assumed temps etc.

would be a real letdown to be honest 

I'm actually compiling data with UTOPIA for the 787 for flaps 5-20 density altitudes -6000-12000 and TO, TO1 TO2 right now.  So far maybe half of it's done and it's pretty reasonable.  I might have time Todo the PMDG 748 buy that's gonna be next month sometime is my guess.

• Like 1

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

5 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

I'm actually compiling data with UTOPIA for the 787 for flaps 5-20 density altitudes -6000-12000 and TO, TO1 TO2 right now.  So far maybe half of it's done and it's pretty reasonable.  I might have time Todo the PMDG 748 buy that's gonna be next month sometime is my guess.

That’s awesome to know for the 787. I’m still waiting for their next update but hopefully PMDG will add that on and not just leave it as TO only and add atm etc. why even put the option if never added

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

2 hours ago, akabam said:

Maybe we won’t get a takeoff calc and it will be like the QW with no assumed temps etc.

would be a real letdown to be honest 

Mark,

Cost for that data is about $400,000 PER YEAR for use, and does not include the performance gradient information that is actually what is needed to do the entire computation.  THAT data falls under Runway Analysis, and will cost you about $1.25M per fleet type.

So rather than sitting there throwing barbs to insinuate that we are not giving you something you desperately feel you deserve- how about you just pony up and send the check for your part of it, and I'll be happy to place the order and provide it in your personal version.  😎

Simmers sometimes forget that stuff costs money in the real world.  You seem to have fallen into that trap.  🙄

Edited by rsrandazzo
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

4 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

Mark,

Cost for that data is about $400,000.  Send us the check for your part of it, and I'll be happy to place the order.

Simmers sometimes forget that stuff costs money in the real world.  You seem to have fallen into that trap.  🙄

No I totally get it haha. I just thought we were getting more than just TO but I’m cool with whatever we get.

i can fund about 1/200th if that.

ill try and gather some more investors.

i didn’t understand the cost behind that and I appreciate you clarifying that for me.

i look forward to the 747-8 and will be a First day customer like with other products

Edited by akabam

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

Mark,

Okay- we'll take that 1/200th... but I underquoted (yes, I actually have a quote for the data here!) so i adjusted my reply above...

I'm gonna need another deposit from you.  Just use the same credit card?  🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

Mark,

Cost for that data is about $400,000.  Send us the check for your part of it, and I'll be happy to place the order.

What.

I'm sure how much it costs to develop these simulations is a closely guarded trade secret, but the cost of that data alone...

My goodness...

2 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

Mark,

Okay- we'll take that 1/200th... but I underquoted (yes, I actually have a quote for the data here!) so i adjusted my reply above...

Yes of course. I actually got a raise at work not too long ago.

Just put the 1.6 mil plus 1000 orders of the 747-8 for all my friends on avsim.

Would a wire transfer be easier 😉

P.S 

thanks for not being being rude in your response. I know now more about the cost of those things 

Edited by akabam

Mark Roberts 

Spencer,

We get by by with a TON of inventiveness and ingenuity because we have been at this a long time and we know what we are looking for, and how to create interpolated data to fill in gaps.

Some stuff, like runway analysis, is quite a bit harder to obtain and is closely controlled by the companies that provide it.  Most people don't realize that even if you go and win the lottery and buy yourself a 747, you are probably going to spend in the neighborhood of $120,000-$240,000/month on data.  Maintenance data, parts tracking data, navigation data, performance data, planning data, runway analysis...  The costs are sky-high.

I have an existing relationship with an analysis firm that provides the runway analysis for my flying operation and even for a snotty little 30 year old light jet, the data costs alone are more than the monthly payments on a nice car.

So- we can do wonders with interpolation- but when it comes to something as location specific as runway analysis- it just isn't worth the effort at this juncture- especially given that most folks would never touch it anyway.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This is precisely why certain operators do not option TO-1/2 and CLB-1/2 on their fleet. The ratings cost extra when optioning the aircraft, and the TO-1/2 takeoff performance data is extra too (in addition to the basic TO + ATM).

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

Mark,

Any chance if I give you my credit card we can have another picture of the 747-8 tonight? 😉

Mark Roberts 

4 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

Spencer,

We get by by with a TON of inventiveness and ingenuity because we have been at this a long time and we know what we are looking for, and how to create interpolated data to fill in gaps.

Some stuff, like runway analysis, is quite a bit harder to obtain and is closely controlled by the companies that provide it.  Most people don't realize that even if you go and win the lottery and buy yourself a 747, you are probably going to spend in the neighborhood of $120,000-$240,000/month on data.  Maintenance data, parts tracking data, navigation data, performance data, planning data, runway analysis...  The costs are sky-high.

I have an existing relationship with an analysis firm that provides the runway analysis for my flying operation and even for a snotty little 30 year old light jet, the data costs alone are more than the monthly payments on a nice car.

So- we can do wonders with interpolation- but when it comes to something as location specific as runway analysis- it just isn't worth the effort at this juncture- especially given that most folks would never touch it anyway.

Wow! Interesting to get some insight on the topic. Seems that experience in developing these simulations goes far beyond simply coding work...

Had no idea that expenses would look like that for data. 

Well, I'll be sure to do my part in making sure PMDG sees a return on their investments. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

snotty little 30 year old light jet

Out of interest, what type of jet? As an owner of a mere Mooney M20M, I'm insanely jealous!

David Porrett

Well guys, Mr. Randazzo said that the answer are in the photo, and It's true! 

If you increase the zoom and look at the middle of PMDG logo on aircraft's belly, between the letters M and D have a sticker saying something, maybe "washington", I can't recognize due to the low photo resolution.. but that's It, I found It.

m2h3Ilm.jpg

Edited by AraujoFelipe

6 minutes ago, AraujoFelipe said:

Well guys, Mr. Randazzo said that the answer are in the photo, and It's true! 

If you increase the zoom and look at the middle of PMDG logo on aircraft's belly, between the letters M and D have a sticker problably saying "Weekend" or something like that, maybe "Saturday", I can't recognize due to the low photo resolution.. but that's It, I found It.

m2h3Ilm.jpg

No it's not. He literally just said it's an immersion. 

Brian McCumiskey

P3D V4.5, i9-9900K, RTX 2070, 16 GB 2666GHz RAM, Windows 10